It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:56 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

dire wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
dire wrote:
Granted, I know he favors more subtle methods.

It isn't just "subtler methods, he prefers methods where others are still making choices. And not just ye olde "Do as I say or die".

Really, several of you just don't het his modus operandi at all and keep making up things to justify dislike.

Granted, in this case he's being a bit of a douchebag. I'm wondering how many cycles he's not dedicating to understanding meatspace anymore, since he keeps not understanding it as well as he once did.

I don't dislike Petey. He's obviously the galaxy's only hope for peace, and therefore, their only hope for survival.

The problem is he is SO subtle, and so egotistically crippled by his lack of godlike power on the local scale, that he can't actually bring that peace about. He's not going to get all the civilizations to play nice by being condescending towards them.

Ye olde "do as I say or die" is realistically Petey's best chance at minimizing casualties, by uniting the entire galaxy under a single benevolent dictator. And there's only one psychobear with the galactic core in his pocket, who has the power rule with an iron fist when his preferred velvet glove simply won't work.

I suspect "peace through overbearing AI enabled domination" has been tried before, maybe multiple times, and ends badly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:53 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

dire wrote:
I'd have to dig up my sources, although I did use a peer-reviewed article. It probably means, "98% of all the money that goes into medicare passes through to pay for services, and only 2% of the money in Medicare pays for medicare administration." and "30% of all money that goes into private health insurance stops at the insurance companies, and 70% passes through to pay for health services".

Edit: Here's my paper. Have a day. Sources start on page 6. Sorry for the bloat, the reviews were a requirement.

And here's a paper written by someone better at it than me. Maybe skip down to paragraph 5 where it starts "First we should define overhead..."

They're all trying to define "overhead" as "percentage that this single organization spends on stuff other than giving money to some other organization that does stuff". The problem is, since the organizations they are looking at, don't actually provide ANY of the service they are looking to pay for, they are missing the ENTIRE overhead of the groups that actually do the work in claiming this is the medical overhead!

No, the overhead for medical costs are mostly spent at the hospital/doctor's office/pharmacy level, which they leave out entirely from both numbers. This is overhead in the BILLING ONLY, and even at that, it's only counting the PAYER'S side of the billing cost. It's a joke as a measure of actual overhead for health care.

Groups that do something routinely run overhead of many times their production costs.