The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I find how unfazed Karl is to be the most notable feature of today's comic.

Ezraene is shouting, verbally posturing and even physically trashing in her current office. Going by 4th and 5th panel, everyone is intimidated by her, except of Karl. Hence the title I picked for the thread.

While his calmness is commendable, he is a real blabbermouth. There had to be some way to play this without revealing entire hand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:24 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

What would the alternative have been? "We have an unjustified reason to belive that the secret we don't know is trying to be destroyed by a force you haven't told us about"?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:44 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

The BITCHBEAST is a pain in the ass, but it aint wrong. They ARE guilty, their quaint little marracca DID do that
As for the rest? Karl baby, you should quit while you all ahead. But, hey? ZE PLOTZ DEMAN :roll: DZ EET!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:25 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

kham wrote:
The BITCHBEAST is a pain in the ass, but it aint wrong. They ARE guilty, their quaint little marracca DID do that
As for the rest? Karl baby, you should quit while you all ahead. But, hey? ZE PLOTZ DEMAN :roll: DZ EET!!!!

I think this is one of those situations where doing the right thing takes a back seat to profit, so I can see how you're confused.

Most care first for themselves, secondly for their legacy and last for their fellow sophonts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:52 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

0z79 wrote:
kham wrote:

I think this is one of those situations where doing the right thing takes a back seat to profit, so I can see how you're confused.

Most care first for themselves, secondly for their legacy and last for their fellow sophonts.

"Extinction level event" tends to ping on all three.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:03 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

They weren't in it for the money anyway. That's why they got hired.

Urtheep are guilty of not providing enough information to do the job, and so the Toughs did what had to be done in order to do the job (hack their database). It's worth noting Urtheep don't exactly have clean hands either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:25 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Reaver225 wrote:
It's worth noting Urtheep don't exactly have clean hands either.

You no evidence as to the cleanliness of Urtheep's manipulator digits.

All known is that a portion of the weapons that the police on Dom Atlantis used were corrupted. My suspicion is that one was sabotaged and turned into a weapon of (failed) assassination so all the Police Taters could be swapped out with corrupted ones en masse. The corrupted ones contained a variant of RED that began overwriting the cop's with the Anti-Plute Revolutionary personality, this where the "Urtheep Assembler fragments" came from. I further suspect this entire plot was based out of Celeschuul as that is also where the money trail leads.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:38 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

And that wasn't even what I came into this thread to say...

If I were in Karl's place right 'now" I'd say "No. You have our summary report. Call us if you wish to continuing doing business. Good day" and then I'd hang up.

Granted she hasn't exactly fired them yet... so...

And I'm happy that we finally know that Planet Mercenary's CEO/leader/top person is an Urtheep.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Even if Urtheep themselves weren't the originator of the hack someone on their payroll probably assisted it. Probably not the CEO or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fairly high level executive was involved. And of course has a high level military supplier I doubt they have clean hands anyway just as part of the way business is run in this setting.

But that doesn't really have anything to do with the current contract.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:29 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
And that wasn't even what I came into this thread to say...

If I were in Karl's place right 'now" I'd say "No. You have our summary report. Call us if you wish to continuing doing business. Good day" and then I'd hang up.

Granted she hasn't exactly fired them yet... so...

And I'm happy that we finally know that Planet Mercenary's CEO/leader/top person is an Urtheep.

Oh, hey. "Every client is one missed payment away from being a target." Do you suppose that applies to Ms. "You're in breach of contract, so we're terminating you" Velociraptor?

Also, the ultimate hacker was an Urtheep product, even if she did let the bludgeon lead the way and soak fire. Tenzy probably does have inside information for the Urtheep infosphere, but not because there's someone else on the inside letting her in.

Edit: Also, I recall a comment under that strip about how the velociraptor's lipstick meant she was female, or something. Hoping the comment isn't lost and gone forever x.x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:

Urtheep are guilty of not providing enough information to do the job, and so the Toughs did what had to be done in order to do the job (hack their database). It's worth noting Urtheep don't exactly have clean hands either.

You know, just once, ONCE. it would be refreshing to have a story line , where people would NOT have to leap in and do a whole lot of LIESPLAINING for the Toughgirlz when they BREAK THE LAW.
You know: just do the damned job
And don't commit felonies then try and gurgle your way out of it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:41 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

kham wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

You know, just once, ONCE. it would be refreshing to have a story line , where people would NOT have to leap in and do a whole lot of LIESPLAINING for the Toughgirlz when they BREAK THE LAW.

Who pissed in your cheerios? "Liesplaining?" "Toughgirlz?"
They're mercenaries. They have very little in the way of morals or client loyalty. We read the strip because they're mostly amusing, even when doing rather violent things. Not sure what more you want.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:54 pm 
Intern
Intern

kham wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

I should introduce you to the Saga of Tanya the Evil. It's hilarious and epic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:18 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I thought the new plans including NOT being assholes, and sticking to being an actual corporation..
Still, I guess when death is irrelevant, you may as well hoist the Jolly Roger and have at it :P

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:19 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

kham wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

Sorry, let me mansplain this one for ya: The Toughgirlz set the galaxy on fire. They released the teraport and destroyed the Gatekeepers who were doing a fine job for thousands of years of keeping intergalactic peace. They're a walking ball of violent chaos that destroys anything and everyone in its path. Every now and again, they happen to save the universe. Or help put a new ruler into power. But their attitude has generally been that the galaxy is a big place. Really, hugely big. Whenever they commit a packet of felonies on the job, they can just take the money and find some place else to unleash chaos on for a while.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:45 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Tonite's strip"

Gee
WHY o why, does he want the cute widdle koala bear DEAD at the molecular level??

Work it out....

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:53 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

dire wrote:
kham wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

Sorry, let me mansplain this one for ya: The Toughgirlz set the galaxy on fire. They released the teraport and destroyed the Gatekeepers who were doing a fine job for thousands of years of keeping intergalactic peace. They're a walking ball of violent chaos that destroys anything and everyone in its path. Every now and again, they happen to save the universe. Or help put a new ruler into power. But their attitude has generally been that the galaxy is a big place. Really, hugely big. Whenever they commit a packet of felonies on the job, they can just take the money and find some place else to unleash chaos on for a while.

Gee, almost like they're the main characters of a story somebody is writing OH WAIT

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:46 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

kham wrote:
Tonite's strip"

Gee
WHY o why, does he want the cute widdle koala bear DEAD at the molecular level??

Work it out....

I just wonder why you even read this comic anymore. Pretty much every comic you respond with how horrible the Toughs/Petey are and how you wish they would get their comeuppance.

Whether they are justified in their actions or complete idiots it's clear that they are the main protagonists and unlikely to change any time soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:45 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
Whether they are justified in their actions or complete idiots....

Hey, as someone who has been both justified in my actions and a complete idiot, I take offense that you make the two options exclusive. ;)

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:41 am 
Janitor
Janitor

kham wrote:
Tonite's strip"

Gee

Work it out....

Because this "he" you are speaking of is a moron? That's the only reason I can think of.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:31 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:

Gee, almost like they're the main characters of a story somebody is writing OH WAIT

The whole 'save the galaxy' bit comes with being the lead roles in a space opera. But these guys are -also- psychotic discipline problems who literally can't settle down in one place for too long or they'll wind up in the local prison. Either for violence done as part of the job, or because they threw the local guarda through a couple bulkheads after getting so drunk they could no longer distinguish between a badge and a cookie.

Edit: Grammar, why hatest thou me so?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:44 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

To be fair while it has been brought up that the Tough grunts can be discipline problems the only actual example we've seen is Schlock, and he is definitely an outlier.

Plus Petey has tried to take them out of circulation before for precisely that reason. So what you're saying is both recognized in universe and given attempts at solving. Though so far it hasn't worked.

Also they don't move around as much as it might seem. While they have taken contracts from alien employers it seems like the majority of their work comes from human space or Petey. The fact that they spent the majority of their time flying around on their own ships probably helps alleviate the problems of letting grunts loose for recreation.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:09 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

dire wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

The whole 'save the galaxy' bit comes with being the lead roles in a space opera. But these guys are -also- psychotic discipline problems who literally can't settle down in one place for too long or they'll wind up in the local prison. Either for violence done as part of the job, or because they threw the local guarda through a couple bulkheads after getting so drunk they could no longer distinguish between a badge and a cookie.

Edit: Grammar, why hatest thou me so?

when they did get shore leave on a developed planet it wasn't anything they did that got them in trouble with the police. the police blamed them for being attacked by a shark.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:12 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Sorry, I was talking about Schlock getting thrown in jail for almost an entire book.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:00 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

dire wrote:
Sorry, I was talking about Schlock getting thrown in jail for almost an entire book.

Which time? :lol: But yeah like I said Schlock is an outlier. And from what I remember the first time he was actually innocent, and the second he was suffering from existential depression. So I don't think its entirely fair to generalize that to the Toughs as a whole.

They certainly are fairly sociopathic, but they seem to be able to keep that relatively under control when not actively on the job. The problem is that their job requires them to seek out avenues in which to vent their violence.

They have gotten on the wrong side of the law fairly often because of their professional activities. But given that the law in those cases consisted of first General Xinchub and then later Admiral Emm, I can't really blame them.

Actually they've gotten on the wrong side of the law a lot now that I think about it. But it's almost always because they got caught up in politics, or as consequences of their jobs. Besides Schlock I can't think of any instances where their violent tendencies got them locked up on a personal basis.

There might well have been instances of that, which I have forgotten though.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:58 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:
They certainly are fairly sociopathic, but they seem to be able to keep that relatively under control when not actively on the job.

What is there to control? Sociopaths aren't anymore prone to violence than anyone else, they simply don't care if they hurt other people in pursuit of their goals (outside of social/legal ramifications of hurting others).

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:52 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
They certainly are fairly sociopathic, but they seem to be able to keep that relatively under control when not actively on the job.

What is there to control? Sociopaths aren't anymore prone to violence than anyone else, they simply don't care if they hurt other people in pursuit of their goals (outside of social/legal ramifications of hurting others).

one trait common in sociopaths is poor impulse control, that can lead to violent outbursts. but there are plenty of sociopaths that do have good self-control.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:41 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

thezombiekat wrote:
one trait common in sociopaths is poor impulse control, that can lead to violent outbursts. but there are plenty of sociopaths that do have good self-control.

Poor impulse control is not a trait uncommon amongst the general "normal" populace.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:46 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
thezombiekat wrote:

Poor impulse control is not a trait uncommon amongst the general "normal" populace.

But poor impulse control is more likely to result in violent outbursts if you don't actually care how much what you do hurts other people.

Emotionally, most people have an extra step, "Convince myself that the enemy doesn't count as a 'real person'" between, "I really wish he'd stop bothering me" and "kill him".

As I understand it a sociopath is someone who doesn't need to bother with that extra step. For a sociopath, "I should not murder him for getting in my way" is purely an intellectual realization. Combine that with poor self control and the sociopath will assault or murder someone for getting in his way or inconveniencing him. Which is bad.

The result is that functional sociopaths are mostly highly intelligent with good self-control, because the other kind is busy serving 30 to life in a prison somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:22 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Doug Lampert wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
thezombiekat wrote:
But poor impulse control is more likely to result in violent outbursts if you don't actually care how much what you do hurts other people.

Emotionally, most people have an extra step, "Convince myself that the enemy doesn't count as a 'real person'" between, "I really wish he'd stop bothering me" and "kill him".

As I understand it a sociopath is someone who doesn't need to bother with that extra step. For a sociopath, "I should not murder him for getting in my way" is purely an intellectual realization. Combine that with poor self control and the sociopath will assault or murder someone for getting in his way or inconveniencing him. Which is bad.

The result is that functional sociopaths are mostly highly intelligent with good self-control, because the other kind is busy serving 30 to life in a prison somewhere.

If not inspiring daisies.

--FreeFlier