The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:44 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Warning: Aim Can Away From Face Before Opening!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:41 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

And now we can add at least one more good reason for why Tagon did not get a very big ship. It let's him enter TAD exclusion zones that other combat elements of the Toughs can't.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:59 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
And now we can add at least one more good reason for why Tagon did not get a very big ship. It let's him enter TAD exclusion zones that other combat elements of the Toughs can't.

The MTB approach.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:07 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:

If that's the Kitesfear II Cynthetic Certainty she's much smaller than I thought. The hull is only four Urtheep tall.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:17 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

If that's the Kitesfear II Cynthetic Certainty she's much smaller than I thought. The hull is only four Urtheep tall.

If I'm recalling her specs, a Dragon class is 45 meters long. The Serial Peacemaker was of comparable size, and it was one of the PDCL's *Longboats*.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:35 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:

That's her, all right. But I'm seeing a certain amount of narrative causality here.

If the enemy robot had TAD, this would not work. Alternatively, if it had hypernet comms, the opening of the TAD exclusion would let it bring in reinforcements. It seems our heroes are getting away with this, but they really shouldn't.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:21 am 
Janitor
Janitor

John Dallman wrote:
That's her, all right. But I'm seeing a certain amount of narrative causality here.

If the enemy robot had TAD, this would not work. Alternatively, if it had hypernet comms, the opening of the TAD exclusion would let it bring in reinforcements. It seems our heroes are getting away with this, but they really shouldn't.

And why would you think the CQ-101 would have time to a) notice and then b) call out and c) have reinforcements 'port in? If done well the exclusion is likely to open for a shorter time than it's OODA loop.

Also, "You're authorized for teraport" sounds to me to be more like a singular TAD allowance than an open door. As in TAD didn't drop, CynCert was given a one time access code.

Kendrakirai wrote:
If I'm recalling her specs, a Dragon class is 45 meters long. The Serial Peacemaker was of comparable size, and it was one of the PDCL's *Longboats*.

I'm trying to remember how many people they had on the Kitesfear... but if they're only carrying Team Mayhem (and Tagon), then they'd have plenty of space on a 45m cutter.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:57 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

The dragon class is 70 meters long, 35 meters wide and about 8 meters thick. she has 2 decks and enough quarters for 34 crew. Based on the diagrams in the first book (physical copy).

The dragon class is shorter than most WW1 destroyers but taller and has a much broader beam.

The Serial Peacemaker on the other hand is 100 meters long.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:03 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Slow clap for Ezraene one of the first characters to do the smart thing without hesitation.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:04 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

John Dallman wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

Would such a small robot be able to deploy TAD over a large enough area?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:28 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Also, "You're authorized for teraport" sounds to me to be more like a singular TAD allowance than an open door. As in TAD didn't drop, CynCert was given a one time access code.

Yes - I'd read the "exclusion" earlier in the strip, which sounds like opening a hole, and not noticed the "authorized" later on.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:33 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

To me it sounds as if Utheep has a TAD which can be programmed to treat multiple zones inside it differently. The daggermother told it to include the returns dock as a separate zone, which it might have already been given it was a dock, and then gave the Toughs authorization to use it without giving them authorization to go anywhere else.

That sounds much more secure and useful than the all or nothing TAD we've seen so far. So I wonder if it's just something we haven't seen before or if Urtheep has developed a next generation TAD. Entirely possible given their line of business.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
To me it sounds as if Utheep has a TAD which can be programmed to treat multiple zones inside it differently. The daggermother told it to include the returns dock as a separate zone, which it might have already been given it was a dock, and then gave the Toughs authorization to use it without giving them authorization to go anywhere else.

That sounds much more secure and useful than the all or nothing TAD we've seen so far. So I wonder if it's just something we haven't seen before or if Urtheep has developed a next generation TAD. Entirely possible given their line of business.

They've had paintable exclusion zones for ages, it's just that most places have TADs that are overlapping with those of others, who are often rather less interested in allowing Teraports.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:39 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Incidentally, I have only just realized I mis-dated both of my topics astone PREVIOUS DAYS strip because that's when I read it, forgetting that the update happens at GMT+1.

D'oh.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:02 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Re. the 5-8 strip. Someone's trying to get in good with the Commodore, but that uniform is more than just for modesty.
Let's hope we don't learn what problems our four-armed friends have with RED.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:31 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Kendrakirai wrote:
Incidentally, I have only just realized I mis-dated both of my topics astone PREVIOUS DAYS strip because that's when I read it, forgetting that the update happens at GMT+1.

D'oh.

That's why I usually copypasta the date from the strip into my thread titles..

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

D'oh.

That's why I usually copypasta the date from the strip into my thread titles..

Stupidly hard to do that on an iPad, alas.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

This thread title also applies to Peri's present state of (un)dress.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."