The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:37 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

See? There are benefits to having the right size for the right job.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:11 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I don't think anybody's complained about the Toughs having some gunboats. I think the complaints centered on "Why is the company founder flying the smallest ship?"

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:20 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

And he's back to having the kind of gravy where he can gravy half the troops in combat, but he doesn't get to pick -which- half, rather than the kind of gravy where he can pick up and isolate a rogue robot who is bristling with weapons.

Edit: Just realized Ennesby was talking about the Serial Peacemaker, which had a lot more annie plants than the Dragon-class. Tagon'll be lucky if he can actually get a shot off at the robot before it boards and starts slaughtering his troops in their sleep.

Last edited by dire on Sun May 07, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:24 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Why would he gravy it. He's in a warship. It's got fairly precise weapons. I expect he will just order it destroyed. Or if they want to capture it he's got a squad of ground troops on board. Gravy is not the answer to everything.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:26 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

This scenario has "Collateral damage" written all over it. Starting with the dockhands, who might (possibly) still be alive for the next three seconds.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:16 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

The dockhands look like they're running, and given the Galactic All Stars methods so far I'm not overly concerned about our tentacled friend murdering anybody. Why gather and run copies of the originals, since they have modified versions in the field? The only reason I can see is if you value minds for their own sake.

Of course, sudden hanger warship is a Charlie Foxtrot to the All Star's plans, and Tagon's never been shy in spreading the plasma around. I assume that the new main gun will get fired indoors at some point.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:30 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

@JohnSmith, the All Star had to determine the location of backup(s) in order to destroy them, and executing the mindfiles was probably the most expeditious way to do that. Much like when Petey interrogated a Fsh'r'l-ganni (sp) and read it by giving it a really lucid dream.

If we see the Purse's crew again and the All-star didn't simply terminate them once it had the information it needed, then I might be inclined to agree with the "minds for minds' sake" argument.

The modified version in the field is probably not "modified" so much as "ripped and replaced" similar to MadKow et al. And since there likely wasn't time to be either gentle or thorough, it stands to reason that there's a possibility that sensitive archival data may have been lost in the process.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:19 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Honestly if the All-Star was that concerned with killing all the witnesses the dock hands would already be dead. The suborned robot had plenty of time in between breaking out of its packaging and the Cynthetic Certainty porting in to kill everyone in that room.

We'll see if how they feel about actual enemy combatants once Schlock's squad makes contact.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:41 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

dire wrote:
@JohnSmith, the All Star had to determine the location of backup(s) in order to destroy them, and executing the mindfiles was probably the most expeditious way to do that. Much like when Petey interrogated a Fsh'r'l-ganni (sp) and read it by giving it a really lucid dream.

If we see the Purse's crew again and the All-star didn't simply terminate them once it had the information it needed, then I might be inclined to agree with the "minds for minds' sake" argument.

The modified version in the field is probably not "modified" so much as "ripped and replaced" similar to MadKow et al. And since there likely wasn't time to be either gentle or thorough, it stands to reason that there's a possibility that sensitive archival data may have been lost in the process.

The All Stars had suborned the Purse before the second ship arrived. Remember "That sounds like the kind of thing I'd say, if I decided to murder my coworkers?" A pretty good indication that these ARE modified versions of the crew. Petey also doesn't have to wake people up to read their brains anymore. It's been a long time since mindripping required such methods, and the All Stars are much, _much_ older.