The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:13 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The way Neeka wanted to "repair" Mac's foot also makes a lot more sense now. She treated him not like any machine, but the way she'd treat an Espee, or her own body - she just had to use a different tool for the detachment.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:30 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Reaver225 wrote:
Want to worry about people getting hacked? Worry about Neeka, who has radio ears attached to her brain. And unlike eyes or ears I doubt you can shut off radio ears.

Which doesn't matter at all. It's not like she'll hear code and go "Oh I should just run this exe I'm compiling from this odd broadcast". At least not anymore than you'd do from something you see or hear or taste or feel or smell.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:48 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
Want to worry about people getting hacked? Worry about Neeka, who has radio ears attached to her brain. And unlike eyes or ears I doubt you can shut off radio ears.

Which doesn't matter at all. It's not like she'll hear code and go "Oh I should just run this exe I'm compiling from this odd broadcast". At least not anymore than you'd do from something you see or hear or taste or feel or smell.
Sneaking control code via I/O that really, really shouldn't run anything is a time-honored tradition, from the humble SQL injection to camera manipulation to basilisks. Whether it's easier to do via radio compared to sight or sound, we don't know, though I imagine the signal would be more constant compared to visuals that change shape depending on perspective.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:25 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Cifer wrote:
Sneaking control code via I/O that really, really shouldn't run anything is a time-honored tradition, from the humble SQL injection to camera manipulation to basilisks.

The first link has cameras which are programmed to respond to matrix barcodes, literally they are already programmed to respond to this stimuli. Likewise, your second link is to other fiction in which humans are also programmed for this sort of visual hack/code.

The only times this [1] has happened in universe was when the recipients were programmed for this to happen. As the Esspies have not been mentioned to suffer from this [2], it's a bit early to begin worrying about it.

1 - The Gavmogs which, like the cameras, were programmed with a backdoor.
2 - I suspect if the Esspies suffered from this it would be well known about as no doubt the Esspies have many enemies, thus when discussing them Ebi would have mentioned it (or Kath or more likely Para when examining their schematics!).

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:55 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

People run bad programming in their brains all the time when seeing things; epileptic fits as a result of flashing lights is a perfect example of this. Engineered systems may have backdoors left in, but evolved systems may just have giant holes in the walls that haven't yet been poked.

I wouldn't say this is that likely, but then again, the allstar got the Jozagle's purse and the Tsundiko in the space of a few seconds, and those lot might not even have been nannied.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:05 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

People run bad programming in their brains all the time when seeing things; epileptic fits as a result of flashing lights is a perfect example of this. Engineered systems may have backdoors left in, but evolved systems may just have giant holes in the walls that haven't yet been poked.

I wouldn't say this is that likely, but then again, the allstar got the Jozagle's purse and the Tsundiko in the space of a few seconds, and those lot might not even have been nannied.

Epileptic fits are because of 'faulty wiring' in the brain (to grossly oversimplify), not because of simply 'bad code', or else *everyone* would be subject to seizures thanks to flashing lights.