The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:02 pm 
Intern
Intern

Without armor you're not bulletproof. Whodathunk?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:

Eyup. Fortunately for Peri that sort of wound is easily survivable even with just conventional Schlockverse medical tech (ie not RED-REO), and depending on just what her species physiology is like and what sort of combat boosts she has might not be enough to even put her out of the fight presuming that they are simple penetrating wounds.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:31 pm 
Intern
Intern

Grashtel wrote:
grahamf wrote:

Eyup. Fortunately for Peri that sort of wound is easily survivable even with just conventional Schlockverse medical tech (ie not RED-REO), and depending on just what her species physiology is like and what sort of combat boosts she has might not be enough to even put her out of the fight presuming that they are simple penetrating wounds.

Peri's new. Did Peri get the immortality treatment yet? I imagine that would be standard for all recruits, but there's possibly a probationary period first.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:57 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Like I said, if you're not dressed, you're a liability, not an asset. Now Peri has to be retrieved, protected, and evacuated, which, since the gangplank is currently acting as cover, is going to be difficult. Meanwhile, at best, he's bleeding out, and his RED-REO status is unknown. Of course, he WAS part of whatscalled, Aina-Afa's security force, i forget what they were called, so he may have it. Not a guarantee tho.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Yeah
Some frakking sergeant though; Blobbo, you can get shot to bits, and it would do nothing; so your brilliant squad-level tactic, is SEND THE NAKED GUY to save these off-camera civvies. You're the kinda guy that they kill first chance in combat, with smarts like THAT....

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:27 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I read it quite the opposite. "Hey idiot, take the civis and get all of you under cover where you won't get shot."

And hey, the field is no place for a dressing down of the idiot recruits.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

kham wrote:
Yeah
Some frakking sergeant though; Blobbo, you can get shot to bits, and it would do nothing; so your brilliant squad-level tactic, is SEND THE NAKED GUY to save these off-camera civvies. You're the kinda guy that they kill first chance in combat, with smarts like THAT....

So what should Schlock have done that would have worked better?

Maybe tell the guy who is impulsive enough to come to the fight naked to stay under cover? I am completely certain that would work perfectly and have no chance of Peri jumping out at an inconvenient time

Or tell Peri to do something useful that will get him away from the main line of fire reducing the odds of him getting shot and getting brownie points from your higher ups and employer for protecting civvies?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:58 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Kendrakirai wrote:
Of course, he WAS part of whatscalled, Aina-Afa's security force, i forget what they were called, so he may have it. Not a guarantee tho.

Sanctum Adroit.

And regardless, after being added to the Toughs they were all likely given the upgrade.

Grashtel wrote:
So what should Schlock have done that would have worked better?

Not much.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Ordering Peri back into the ship immediately upon seeing keir state of (un)dress most probably falls under the heading of "Never give an order you know won't be obeyed".

Yes, that's a real thing . . . one of the first things they teach USA ROTC cadets, and presumably USMC and USN cadets as well . . . you never really know about USAF, though I'd bet they'd just use bigger words.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:41 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

RedReo was made publicly available. They haven't gone into details, but just about EVERYONE should have it. That's where the whole infrastructure problem comes from after all.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
RedReo was made publicly available. They haven't gone into details, but just about EVERYONE should have it. That's where the whole infrastructure problem comes from after all.

Has the technology been widely distributed, though? It isn't like the Teraport, which was given away to everyone in a mass spamming, this was carefully announced to the UNS in a meeting that wasn't quite official, and was interrupted by a staged coup attempt. The stipulation was that it was free to all who want it. And then there's the question of whether or not that comes with offsite backups.

It's far from a certain thing that Peri's got it, AND it's current, AND it'll work first time, *and* that he's got a backup, *AND* that those bullets didn't have something specifically designed to kill a RED-REO. Remember how those two guards died at the beginning of the Oisri engagement? Nanos specifically designed to shred skin and muscle and bone and the central nervous system. To keep a RED user from coming back.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:23 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kendrakirai wrote:
... *AND* that those bullets didn't have something specifically designed to kill a RED-REO. Remember how those two guards died at the beginning of the Oisri engagement? Nanos specifically designed to shred skin and muscle and bone and the central nervous system. To keep a RED user from coming back.

The shredder-nanos won't work on someone with a fully equipped RED-REO suite. Standard RED only has local backup to the skin: a shredded corpse would be Laz-4 or Laz-5, but would be _in theory_ recoverable.

Of course, of Peri doesn't have the full suite, it could be ugly. Center-of-mass shots tend to be problematic.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:08 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
... *AND* that those bullets didn't have something specifically designed to kill a RED-REO. Remember how those two guards died at the beginning of the Oisri engagement? Nanos specifically designed to shred skin and muscle and bone and the central nervous system. To keep a RED user from coming back.

The shredder-nanos won't work on someone with a fully equipped RED-REO suite. Standard RED only has local backup to the skin: a shredded corpse would be Laz-4 or Laz-5, but would be _in theory_ recoverable.

Of course, of Peri doesn't have the full suite, it could be ugly. Center-of-mass shots tend to be problematic.

Peri probably has two hearts. Still, clip the Femoral and see how far you can run.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:20 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
I read it quite the opposite. "Hey idiot, take the civis and get all of you under cover where you won't get shot."

And hey, the field is no place for a dressing down of the idiot recruits.

I see what you did there...

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:27 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

And THAT assumes that the All-Star hasn't equipped it with something even nastier that's designed to hack into an offsite backup and corrupt that specific backup, which is far from a foregone conclusion. Remember, this thing sliced through whatever protections were in place on the Gzeaul it hijacked like they weren't even there and downloaded their brains in the time it took a missile to go from one ship to the other.

We have no idea of its true intentions or capabilities.

Hell, it could be overwriting and hijacking Peri!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:47 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I'd be more worried about it overwriting Schlock, who is in fact descended from fancy hard drives and is designed to be read and written to.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:43 pm 
Intern
Intern

dire wrote:
I'd be more worried about it overwriting Schlock, who is in fact descended from fancy hard drives and is designed to be read and written to.

Shlock is from a warfaring race of hard drives, and is the result of the two greatest warriors coming to a draw. i think he can hold his own. He's already purged one nannie infection.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:20 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
dire wrote:

Shlock is from a warfaring race of hard drives, and is the result of the two greatest warriors coming to a draw. i think he can hold his own. He's already purged one nannie infection.

Reading the planet mercenary amorph stats, and it's honestly kind of disturbing how they lose mental ability whenever they take damage. I wonder what fending off a nanite infection costs them in that regard. Schlock should keep little globs of important things separated as backup.

I could also imagine an amorph scientist, keeping themselves huge, backed up and extremely violence shy to maximize their mental ability.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 am 
Janitor
Janitor

ExenTrik wrote:
Schlock should keep little globs of important things separated as backup.

I've thought about this. A lot. Probably more than necessary.

Obviously any "Schlock Dump" would require nutrients. And pruning to keep it from growing. It couldn't just be stuck in a coffee cup and left somewhere, that might work for short term info dumping (and message delivery), but I strongly doubt it's a stable system for amorph backups.

In fact, the more I think about the more I've come to the conclusion they can't back themselves up in that way*. They'd have to do it the same way RED-REO does. They get read and a backup is stored on a different form of media.

* Mostly because if they could, they already would.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:57 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

ExenTrik wrote:
grahamf wrote:
dire wrote:

Reading the planet mercenary amorph stats, and it's honestly kind of disturbing how they lose mental ability whenever they take damage. I wonder what fending off a nanite infection costs them in that regard. Schlock should keep little globs of important things separated as backup.

I could also imagine an amorph scientist, keeping themselves huge, backed up and extremely violence shy to maximize their mental ability.

Well, he does say he tries to keep important things backed up in multiple places inside him.

Though I imagine that the vast majority of his 250 kilo bulk isn't memory storage at all, but just the amorph equivalent of muscle, considering Vog's people used a variant as their brains and could remember stuff almost perfectly for a very long time before they started going crazy due to lack of new stimuli.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:08 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
Well, he does say he tries to keep important things backed up in multiple places inside him.

Though I imagine that the vast majority of his 250 kilo bulk isn't memory storage at all, but just the amorph equivalent of muscle, considering Vog's people used a variant as their brains and could remember stuff almost perfectly for a very long time before they started going crazy due to lack of new stimuli.

Well of course, given the size of a typical brain it clearly isn't quite as effective in that regard. Although with that angle my hypothetical scimorph could well also be weak and slow, as his very biology is retooled for memory and processing optimization. I wonder if they can even do that kind of thing intentionally, or perhaps in reflecting deep rooted personality traits.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:43 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

ExenTrik wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

Well of course, given the size of a typical brain it clearly isn't quite as effective in that regard. Although with that angle my hypothetical scimorph could well also be weak and slow, as his very biology is retooled for memory and processing optimization. I wonder if they can even do that kind of thing intentionally, or perhaps in reflecting deep rooted personality traits.

That could even be why they come in different shades of green. The darker, the more strength focused.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:51 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

ExenTrik wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

Actually, I meant more that Schlock's memory takes up hardly any of him just because he hasn't been alive long enough to fill the storage space implied by being both high density storage and around 55 times more massive than a typical human brain.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
Actually, I meant more that Schlock's memory takes up hardly any of him just because he hasn't been alive long enough to fill the storage space implied by being both high density storage and around 55 times more massive than a typical human brain.

Hmm I don't think so, there's no telling how old the nigh-immortal amorphs on his home planet were, and not a one of them seemed smarter than him in any regard. And even if they themselves weren't that old, new amorphs inherit knowledge from their forebears so smarts really should have accumulated. Between how much they really need smarts and the effects of normal wear and tear a typical amorph seems to hover around "dangerous worldly child" levels of intellect.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:49 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:

More like [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain#Gross_anatomy"]200 times the mass[/url] of a human brain. It does mean he has space for lots of copies, and we've seen that he can put memories into small regions of himself.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:08 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

John Dallman wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

More like [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain#Gross_anatomy"]200 times the mass[/url] of a human brain. It does mean he has space for lots of copies, and we've seen that he can put memories into small regions of himself.

I *thought* my memory of eight pounds was a bit off. So the brain is only about a kilo and a quarter (a touch under three pounds) huh?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:51 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
I *thought* my memory of eight pounds was a bit off. So the brain is only about a kilo and a quarter (a touch under three pounds) huh?

2.6 to 3.1 pounds, with no obvious correlation between weight or major anatomical features and its performance.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:50 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Want to worry about people getting hacked? Worry about Neeka, who has radio ears attached to her brain. And unlike eyes or ears I doubt you can shut off radio ears.

Or can you? Would there be things like eyelids to stop radio antennae picking up stray signals waking you up?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:49 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
Want to worry about people getting hacked? Worry about Neeka, who has radio ears attached to her brain. And unlike eyes or ears I doubt you can shut off radio ears.

Or can you? Would there be things like eyelids to stop radio antennae picking up stray signals waking you up?
According to Planet Mercenary, Espererin are actually pretty modular when it comes to their body, though they usually won't modify the core organic part or pick up cybernetics that they don't grow themselves and there's a " deepseated aversion to cybernetic extensions or enhancements [...]. Esspees do have the ability to reconfigure their limbs and neural interfaces to operate large vehicles, weapon platforms, and vessels as extensions of their own body, but they almost never do so. The subject itself is taboo, and bringing it up will often end the conversation." - this does however contradict the description of the Sashiko "armor" (should probably be Sosheki): "“Pilot” is the right word to use here. To enter the Sashiko, an esspererin couches comfortably into less than one cubic meter of cockpit and plugs the suit’s controls directly into their head, usually by removing their eyes and antennae. They keep their hands, feet, and wings curled and furled as the Sashiko becomes a literal extension of their body." It's possible this doesn't take into account that Sosheki actually have an onboard-AI, so the effect is more like a telepathic rider and horse than an actual body extension.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:58 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Thanks for the info, I really ought to read the booklet at some point.

It does sound like you should be able to deactivate parts of your body, then, if you're an essperin. That makes the Essperin who attacked Cindercone enroute from Sanctum Adroit with the eyestalks plugged into the sensors directly a lot more tolerable.