The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:29 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 163
All right two questions: why isn't her face covered by her helmet, and why does such advanced technology suddenly have the aim of a stormtrooper? I don't see how an AI or any computationally assisted meat-sophont can miss anything at that range that badly. Clearly it's aim was on point for poor old Peri.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:06 am 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:36 pm
Posts: 88
Ship/station gravitic intervention? Scattering shots is likely the most computationaly and energetically efficient solution. Truly random spreading couldn't be overcome by a smarter enemy except for them firing more shots.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:13 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:32 pm
Posts: 162
With the Daggermother's Hot Mess Response Team less than a minute away, how did anyone think that blocking their entrance is a good idea?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:22 pm
Posts: 227
Barmaglot wrote:
With the Daggermother's Hot Mess Response Team less than a minute away, how did anyone think that blocking their entrance is a good idea?

What is this "think" idea? We have Kaff Tagon and Schlock in charge here.

_________________
Weapon: Meal, Ready to Explode.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:11 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 pm
Posts: 198
The problem with letting the robot run away for a minute (or even two minutes) is that then Daggermother's hot mess response team will be two minutes behind it when they -do- arrive on the scene.

If that was an option, Daggermother wouldn't have called in a can of whoopass, shaken but not stirred.

_________________
May or may not run a Reaver-powered Perpetual Internal Combustion Engine of War And Shrapnel Fabber


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 465
Who says the big cargo door the big robot is using is the same entrance that the Daggermother is planning to use anyway.

Also shooting the door controls doesn't actually lock a door. It just blocks someone from easily using the controls. I'm sure its fine from the other side.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:15 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 747
John Dallman wrote:
Barmaglot wrote:
With the Daggermother's Hot Mess Response Team less than a minute away, how did anyone think that blocking their entrance is a good idea?

What is this "think" idea? We have Kaff Tagon and Schlock in charge here.


The plan appears to be "occupy it until we can smash it with a modified breacher."
Seems to be working so far.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:10 pm 
Offline
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 pm
Posts: 5
Hate to reach back a couple comics but what is a ninety cent annie plant? Please forgive me my search-fu is weak.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 767
RJFlorida wrote:
Hate to reach back a couple comics but what is a ninety cent annie plant? Please forgive me my search-fu is weak.

Good question--and I'm not certain of the answer, as the concept's not been introduced (ttbomk) in the comic before. It could be that the annie plant is 0.9 meters in diameter--that's the only guess I have, but it is just a guess.

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:08 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 387
Black Sheep wrote:
RJFlorida wrote:
Hate to reach back a couple comics but what is a ninety cent annie plant? Please forgive me my search-fu is weak.

Good question--and I'm not certain of the answer, as the concept's not been introduced (ttbomk) in the comic before. It could be that the annie plant is 0.9 meters in diameter--that's the only guess I have, but it is just a guess.


90 cent meant 90 centimetres, yes. It's just shorthand for a measurement, like 'klicks' is for kilometers, 'mil' for millimeters, or 'gees' for gravities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 532
I'm just surprised the hot mess response team doesn't have minitanks on standby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 387
Reaver225 wrote:
I'm just surprised the hot mess response team doesn't have minitanks on standby.


Why would they have them ready in their own building? Because of TAD, it's extremely unlikely anyone is going to be able to get in or out of anywhere without having somewhere between a half hour to *a week* of travel time to into or out of an exclusion zone. That generally leaves plenty of time to kit up to minitank level gear.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:58 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 465
To be fair having a TAD does not prevent someone smuggling something in on an authorized cargo trip. This robot for instance did not teraport in.

And apparently the cargo crew has unloaded weird things before. Likely at least some of that was hazardous.

In fact there probably are minitanks protecting the really secure areas. Two minutes is probably sufficient for most threats. But a robot controlled and modified by an ancient super intelligent AI is not most threats.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:58 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 387
Arcanestomper wrote:
To be fair having a TAD does not prevent someone smuggling something in on an authorized cargo trip. This robot for instance did not teraport in.

And apparently the cargo crew has unloaded weird things before. Likely at least some of that was hazardous.

In fact there probably are minitanks protecting the really secure areas. Two minutes is probably sufficient for most threats. But a robot controlled and modified by an ancient super intelligent AI is not most threats.


How often would what for all appearances is a regular robotics and nonlethal weapons manufacturer need security heavy security on their loading dock? Especially after its been through what's probably a lot of security scans to make sure it's powered down and not carrying anything living or reactive, and especially well after the recall of the M3s.

The problem with keeping areas secure with minitanks is that at least part of the Urtheep security is secrecy, and minitank guards are hard to keep secret.

Another problem is that if they go in with minitanks and just open fire, the .9 meter Annie may go up, and those don't go small. They need to go in with breachers on kinetic strike only or try to overwhelm it with plasma, which is...risky. And messy, what with deflected plasma and radiative heat effects cooking everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:55 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 pm
Posts: 198
The last time the toughs took out a shield widget like they're fighting now was here: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-08-14

I could've sworn I recalled seeing something like diameter specs for that thing, but at least that scene outlines Tagon's current problems. Except the robot probably doesn't have a handy on/off switch on its nose, and I think Tagon's fresh out of elephants.

_________________
May or may not run a Reaver-powered Perpetual Internal Combustion Engine of War And Shrapnel Fabber


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:36 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 387
dire wrote:
The last time the toughs took out a shield widget like they're fighting now was here: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-08-14

I could've sworn I recalled seeing something like diameter specs for that thing, but at least that scene outlines Tagon's current problems. Except the robot probably doesn't have a handy on/off switch on its nose, and I think Tagon's fresh out of elephants.


From the strip two days later it looks like its about a meter, maybe a meter and a quarter. Not too much bigger than the plant on the bot.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FreeFlier and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group