The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Does anal-retentive have a hyphen or not?

(I'm given t understand that it has three....)

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:35 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

A null retentive is when your collection object permits null members.

Or did I miss-hear what you said?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Ironically enough, the extremely-pertinent question was asked by someone with the name of Putzho.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:02 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Next question: Is this conversation happening in real-time, or at the very least, is it happening at the same time rate for each of the separated participants?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:22 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

If you're the kind of person who asks whether the entire conversation is preprogrammed, then I'm not sure how you would accept a simple answer that it isn't. It would be easy for them to simulate that part too.

You either treat the conversation as really happening or you don't, because there isn't any way to really tell unless the simulation has flaws you can see from the inside.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:25 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:
If you're the kind of person who asks whether the entire conversation is preprogrammed, then I'm not sure how you would accept a simple answer that it isn't. It would be easy for them to simulate that part too.

You either treat the conversation as really happening or you don't, because there isn't any way to really tell unless the simulation has flaws you can see from the inside.

Yeah... that's one of those "How can I be sure I'm not just a shadow on Plato's cave" questions.

But I am really looking forward to the answer.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:06 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The purpose of the question isn't really supposed to give an answer to the person asking the question, it's to relay the information that the asker knows that this all could be memory implanted in his mind.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:21 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

^ this. Putzho is pretty savvy.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:41 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

Yeah... that's one of those "How can I be sure I'm not just a shadow on Plato's cave" questions.

But I am really looking forward to the answer.

From the inside a sufficiently good simulation is indistinguishable from reality. Which means that there's no point in worrying about it, because you've got nothing to distinguish one from the other.

Reaver225 wrote:
The purpose of the question isn't really supposed to give an answer to the person asking the question, it's to relay the information that the asker knows that this all could be memory implanted in his mind.

But if the conversation is implanted, then they already know that you know, so there's no point in telling them anything unless you think doing so will have a positive effect if the answer is no.

Doug Lampert

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:26 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Have to admit I really like this Sysadmin God.

Which makes me really suspicious of him.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:34 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Doug Lampert wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:

But if the conversation is implanted, then they already know that you know, so there's no point in telling them anything unless you think doing so will have a positive effect if the answer is no.

When you recall the memory, if it was implanted or not, it makes you feel really smug about having thought that up (or having the AI reading your mind know that you're smart enough to have thought that up).

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 pm 
Intern
Intern

evileeyore wrote:

I doubt he has any reason to lie to them. They cannot interfere with his plans and they are already technically dead. The best he can do is give them full disclosure so they can move on.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

I doubt he has any reason to lie to them. They cannot interfere with his plans and they are already technically dead. The best he can do is give them full disclosure so they can move on.

This. They are now AI instances running on someone else's hardware. The absolute most the can do is register their objections.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:44 pm 
Intern
Intern

Black Sheep wrote:
grahamf wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

This. They are now AI instances running on someone else's hardware. The absolute most the can do is register their objections.

Pretty much. They can register their objectives using creative means, but the end result is still nothing more than a notice of their objections. I doubt they could even pluck Flowey if they weren't allowed to.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 am 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:

I'm just always suspicious of anyone or anything I immediately like.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:09 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
I just immediately don't like anyone or anything I immediately like.

Error, does not compute. Bad command or file name.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:23 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

dire wrote:
Error, does not compute. Bad command or file name.

"always suspicious" =/= "immediately don't like"

Your google translation failed you today.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:23 pm 
Intern
Intern

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

I'm just always suspicious of anyone or anything I immediately like.

That's just because of repetitive use of the same storytelling plot twists. Granted, I don't remember if our author has had much experience writing characters that are consistently likeable while being on the side of the antagonists.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:10 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:
Granted, I don't remember if our author has had much experience writing characters that are consistently likeable while being on the side of the antagonists.

Not just here. I'm like that with other media and in real life.

Here, I'm not sure who'd I'd count as "likable" but not an actual member of the "crew".... hmmm.

Gen. Bela-Amin and Sorlie I liked. Gasca. Danita (but then most Gavs are/were decent sorts) Those are the ones that stick out.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:11 pm 
Intern
Intern

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Granted, I don't remember if our author has had much experience writing characters that are consistently likeable while being on the side of the antagonists.

Not just here. I'm like that with other media and in real life.

Here, I'm not sure who'd I'd count as "likable" but not an actual member of the "crew".... hmmm.

Gen. Bela-Amin and Sorlie I liked. Gasca. Danita (but then most Gavs are/were decent sorts) Those are the ones that stick out.

I liked Danita, though I don't know what happened to her (did she die on the Gift horse)? The Purp had a respectable character. Murtage joined the crew so i don't know if she counts.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:
I liked Danita, though I don't know what happened to her (did she die on the Gift horse)?

Danita wasn't on the Gift Horse, she was in the Research Pod along with Gasca, Elf, Para, and the Yellow Murderbot. They all survived, no reason to think she didn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:49 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

We have repeatedly seen a runt-supersoldier scientist working on the "Where did everybody go?" problem. Not sure if they've actually said her name, but good odds that's Danita.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:02 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

JohnSmith wrote:
We have repeatedly seen a runt-supersoldier scientist working on the "Where did everybody go?" problem. Not sure if they've actually said her name, but good odds that's Danita.

Elf did in fact actually say "DANITA! Stay behind us!" ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:04 pm 
Intern
Intern

With today's strip, I think the system admin is happy that this species has a pretty decent grasp of what it means to be a virtual person and what issues are present.

Is this the guy that jumped off the cliff to see if he could die? I can't tell them apart.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:
Is this the guy that jumped off the cliff to see if he could die? I can't tell them apart.

As has been mentioned in previous threads, either there are two Putzhos or the Artist made an error.

Putzho One jumped off the cliff. Coloration Orangish-Brown.
Putzho two is conversing with the Sysadmin. He also yelled at the "God-Tree", which is his "first" naming. Coloration Light Green.

Note, Putzho One and Two have the same antennae count and configuration.

Notably two others have been named, Hazz who "made the terrible joke". Who is the same color as Putzho 2, but has a different antennae count.

And Batzhu, who took art in college, and is a pink hue.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:19 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
With today's strip, I think the system admin is happy that this species has a pretty decent grasp of what it means to be a virtual person and what issues are present.

The guy who jumped off the cliff is brown, and there is some confusion if his name is Putzho or Hazz.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:34 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Black Sheep wrote:
The guy who jumped off the cliff is brown, and there is some confusion if his name is Putzho or Hazz.

I'm betting the cliff-jumping Putzho and our current Putzho were meant to be the same character, but the coloration got messed up between cliff-jumping and confronting the "God-Tree".

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Putzho is actually a chameleon. Changes skin tone at will. So if he's staring at a blue goat-god, he's blue, but if he's staring at a brown cliff, he's brown.

Also, everyone is named Putzho, they just use nicknames to avoid confusion.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:57 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:

No, it's to put the question of who is really in charge of your mind into the asker. :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:15 pm 
Intern
Intern

dire wrote:
Putzho is actually a chameleon. Changes skin tone at will. So if he's staring at a blue goat-god, he's blue, but if he's staring at a brown cliff, he's brown.

Also, everyone is named Putzho, they just use nicknames to avoid confusion.

I wonder if Putzho is simply a title, such as "comrade"?