The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:09 pm 
Intern
Intern

Well, that answers a couple questions maybe. If he's holding the interviews simultaneously, the the question of slice referring to self slice is wrong (as he's seemingly adept at managing multiple lines of thought) and the time slice theory hold more merit.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:32 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I think it more likely that slice just refers to how much computing power is being used. The way he took over the simulation and usurped control over Evvin's appearance indicates a lot more processing behind his efforts.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Keighvin wrote:
I think it more likely that slice just refers to how much computing power is being used. The way he took over the simulation and usurped control over Evvin's appearance indicates a lot more processing behind his efforts.

Or at least higher access. The new guy has cut out a LOT of processor time, even considering the multiple simultaneous interviews.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:38 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Sys admin might not get more raw resources than anybody else, just knows how to use them a lot more efficiently? If he's using those GPU cycles to shard his mind instead of making pretty scenery, he might actually be using less clocks than the tree was.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:53 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I trust everyone got the meta joke about Howard not having to draw backgrounds.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:11 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

StClair wrote:
I trust everyone got the meta joke about Howard not having to draw backgrounds.

Actually, that reminds me that the new orientation teacher has more hair on his head than Howard has.

Oops--did I say that in my outside voice?

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

This does make me wonder how much resources the Matryoshka actually has. If there's a civilization residing inside, one would imagine five or so additional landscape renders would be a neglegible amount of processing power, assuming they're not all in gradient-fill territory.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:50 am 
Intern
Intern

Cifer wrote:
This does make me wonder how much resources the Matryoshka actually has. If there's a civilization residing inside, one would imagine five or so additional landscape renders would be a neglegible amount of processing power, assuming they're not all in gradient-fill territory.

Maybe he didn't want to take the time to fully suborn Evvy's simulation to clone it and just dropped it for a gradient. It's possible the concept of "hassle" still exists in a virtual society. Probably.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:16 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Cifer wrote:

One would expect most of them to be in a single shared simulation, therefor only needing one render.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:12 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Cifer wrote:

Consider it in terms of "budget". Sure, the "All-Star" could spare enough cycles so each of them could be interviewed in a fully simulated environment, but first the guy in charge would have to requisition the cycles, fill out a bunch of forms, wait 6-10 business days, not including federal holidays...

It'd be easier to render everything at full resolution, and with full physics, if they first downclocked all the new arrivals, but it'd not give the same visual gag. Oh, and then they couldn't answer truthfully, "you're experiencing this in real time". For that matter, they could suspend every new arrival except the one they were currently talking to, then suspend that one, and go on to the next one, with each one ignorant of the amount of time that passed between the moments they were being asked questions.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:28 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
Cifer wrote:

One would expect most of them to be in a single shared simulation, therefor only needing one render.
Yet every sophont views that single simulation through their own eyes (well... their own virtual perspective). Thus, it needs to be rendered as many times as there are sophonts. Only the underlying physics simulation is shared.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:52 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Cifer wrote:
sotanaht wrote:
Cifer wrote:

Yet every sophont views that single simulation through their own eyes (well... their own virtual perspective). Thus, it needs to be rendered as many times as there are sophonts. Only the underlying physics simulation is shared.

Not really. There are shortcuts.
Several standing together can "share" one render, with some cognitive masking to keep them from noticing, and some error correction of the physics simulation so hand-eye coordination issues don't give it away. (guy on the left, "Hey, why do all my tosses land to the left." guy on the right. "Hey, why do all MINE hook to the RIGHT?" guy in the middle "That's odd. I'm not having any problem.")

If you want to see a shortcut in action, google "mask illusion".

Think of it like dreaming. You can basically instruct the simulated persona to ignore the things that make it apparent that the world is not real, and let their own memories map in what they SHOULD have seen, on recall.

Edit. I fear I'm not being clear.
In math, when you solve for (x), one of the basic tricks is to see if anything can be isolated out of both sides of the equation.
The All-Star renders a world from data. The sapient mind does the reverse, solving for data from the sensory impressions.
If you can identify what data should be present, and you're already playing with the consciousness, you can cut out all that pesky rendering, and just tell the consciousness what data they should be detecting. You cancel out both the high computational cost render and the high computational cost analysis.
The drawback from doing that is, some information which wouldn't normally be easily attainable, such as an exact count of some large number of visible objects, would be immediately apparent, even if your species normally can only sight-count to about four, and pattern-count to about seven.
(Seriously. Just take in the whole page, for a moment, and tell me, without "counting" how many lines of text are on the monitor in front of you. Imagine just "knowing" how many lines there are, like you would if there were only four or fewer lines.)
In short, they can "see" the trees because they're told their are trees over there. And until they decide to examine the trees closely, or interact directly with the trees, that's enough.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:03 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Sean wrote:
(Seriously. Just take in the whole page, for a moment, and tell me, without "counting" how many lines of text are on the monitor in front of you. Imagine just "knowing" how many lines there are, like you would if there were only four or fewer lines.)

So just to let you know: I did this, saw 15 lines of text on my monitor, and then went back and counted; 17 actual.

Not too far off. I've read about people who could sight-count up to around 20, and I even remember a TV show where a real nerdy character did a sight count of 999 (or was it 996? ... sheesh, my memory is starting to go bad) pills in an asprin bottle once.

And no, I'm not talking about Sheldon :-0