The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:15 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Ok, what are some of the crazy headcannons for this arc?

- All the minds of the all-star upload into ship brains as zombies

- Someone figures out how to upload a copy of the mind from the all-star into a meat body without destroying the all-star version -- and suddenly multiple "clones" of different people in different bodies show up. Several stars get lighter in the process

- The crazy talk of the Archive is picked up by important people in the All-star, and suddenly the All-star believes what the Archive says, and votes to implement its plans.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 am 
Intern
Intern

I think the All-Star just becomes another force that exists and occasionally interacts, like the Psychobear in the centre of the galaxy.

There may be a skirmish, but eventually I can see it accepting that things are safe now and letting it's citizens interact with the rest of the galaxy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
I think the All-Star just becomes another force that exists and occasionally interacts, like the Psychobear in the centre of the galaxy.

There may be a skirmish, but eventually I can see it accepting that things are safe now and letting it's citizens interact with the rest of the galaxy.

This. The only question will be does the Allstar become independent but friendly (like the Oafan Freehold), independent and somewhat Hostile (like LOTA), or semi-captive and under therapy (like the Archive).

Or maybe Howard pulls a different rabbit out of this hat.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:21 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

grahamf wrote:

The All-Star will have the long view that whatever else happens to be going on with this iteration of civilization, the remote potential of being blasted with a billion end-guns at some point is completely unacceptable. And despite them having probably finished science, the ability to teraport into some new anonymous region of space is beyond their ability, or Petey's. I don't know what they'll do, but there's no way they'll be satisfied with coexistence.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:17 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

They did however seem to think that this iteration of civilization was doing relatively well for itself and might decide that collaborating with Petey is a better bet than going back into isolation. Especially if they can work out a method where they can still go back into hiding if need be.

Learning about things like the galactic core nearly being converted into a bomb and killing everyone would probably motivate them to help. As even with their dyson sphere they would not have survived that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:28 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Do the "All-Star" intellects know that they are only still "alive" (or "running") because of Kevyn's little time-jump? Otherwise, they would have been wiped out of existence by that FTL event-horizon thing from the galactic core.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

FrankNorman wrote:
Do the "All-Star" intellects know that they are only still "alive" (or "running") because of Kevyn's little time-jump? Otherwise, they would have been wiped out of existence by that FTL event-horizon thing from the galactic core.

Almost certainly not. Only Petey, higher ups in several governments, and the Toughs are likely to know about that and the bomb in the core. Probably not something you can pick off the hyper et or from the minds of some random dudes, even if one of them is way smarter than his pay grade.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:28 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

FrankNorman wrote:

That depends on how far the All Star is from the core. If they're out in the outer fringes of the galaxy, the wave of destruction from the core may never have reached them before the "game" reset.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:50 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It is a possibility that they have sensors that could detect it from where they are. And some sort of technology that could preserve the information across timelines. But more likely they don't know at the moment.

I was referring to them finding out when they talk with Petey. Which is almost certainly going to happen at some point. It seems like the sort of thing he'd bring up if he wanted to tell them why hiding won't work forever.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:38 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
It is a possibility that they have sensors that could detect it from where they are. And some sort of technology that could preserve the information across timelines. But more likely they don't know at the moment.

I was referring to them finding out when they talk with Petey. Which is almost certainly going to happen at some point. It seems like the sort of thing he'd bring up if he wanted to tell them why hiding won't work forever.

It's also the sort of thing they would dig up, just from trying to catch up with 'current events'.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:40 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

It's also the sort of thing they would dig up, just from trying to catch up with 'current events'.

Again, that seems unlikely unless they hacked into some very paranoid data nets, which would be a pretty big tip-off that somebody who shouldn't be nosing about is nosing about.

Time travel and the center of the galaxy being a giant bomb are probably near the top of the 'let's keep this from the public' list.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:48 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Considering that the kerfluffle at the core involved elements from every single major power in the galaxy and ended with a new galactic power using a massive generator built out of the galaxy's core, I think that the All-Star's agents would have at least of a clue of what happened. Events on that scale leave all sorts of clues, and I doubt that every single entity involved would cover it up to the same degree of effectiveness.

The involvement of time travel, though, is containable right up until you remember that the Toughs sell story rights to Magic Dreamland Entertainment. Then again, that might at least muddy the waters a bit, since how much can you trust that show?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:53 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I agree with Nemoricus. There were lots of people involved in the Core War. The UNS lost 32 battleplates to the Fleetmind, and we know that each battleplate has quite a population. There were also several thousand other warships from many different civilizations. It would be impossible to keep all those people from talking. Would it be possible to keep them all in the dark about what they were fighting over?

And since then people have been immigrating to the Plenipotent Dominion. Some of them will inevitably be curious about how their new home came to be. Do you think Petey lies to them all?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:27 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

You know, I'd forgotten how much of a kerfuffle that was. I only remembered the Pre-Travel timelines version of events at the core.

Still, I don't know how much of 'the Gatekeepers almost blew up the galaxy' would be unclassified. It would hardly be the first time wars were fought with the rank and file not knowing why, either, if they went with secrecy. The time travel stuff would probably be seen as apocryphal at best, and you don't even have to lie about how the Dominion was founded; Petey et all kicked the Gatekeepers asses and took over their toys. You simply have to omit why they chased the Gatekeepers to the core in the first place. It wouldn't be hard to just let people assume it was because of the *hundred thousand years worth of serial murder*.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:40 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kendrakirai wrote:
You know, I'd forgotten how much of a kerfuffle that was. I only remembered the Pre-Travel timelines version of events at the core.

Still, I don't know how much of 'the Gatekeepers almost blew up the galaxy' would be unclassified. It would hardly be the first time wars were fought with the rank and file not knowing why, either, if they went with secrecy. The time travel stuff would probably be seen as apocryphal at best, and you don't even have to lie about how the Dominion was founded; Petey et all kicked the Gatekeepers asses and took over their toys. You simply have to omit why they chased the Gatekeepers to the core in the first place. It wouldn't be hard to just let people assume it was because of the *hundred thousand years worth of serial murder*.

Right, but that leaves enough crumbs laying around to encourage the All-Star people to go looking for the whole pie. Once they find out about Kevin's time clone, who wasn't exactly living in secret, it would start to be obvious that there are holes in the official story. They would definitely want to know everything they could find out about the largest military engagement of this era, and would start digging.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:28 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Just thought of something that should have been obvious.

At least one of the Toughs, with a high chance of it being Tagon himself, is going to end up simultainiously cloned via REDreo and downloaded into the allstar. This is going to lead to further discussion of which version is the real one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

If I remember correctly, the time travel events aren't that secret. Kevyn got kidnapped by the mafia because they knew he had used information from the future to win money from long odds upsets that they had rigged. At least I think that's what happened. I'm not really sure where in the archives these event are though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JJReeve wrote:
If I remember correctly, the time travel events aren't that secret. Kevyn got kidnapped by the mafia because they knew he had used information from the future to win money from long odds upsets that they had rigged. At least I think that's what happened. I'm not really sure where in the archives these event are though.

Good point, though being the Mafia, they may have just come after him for winning, then found out about the time travel later.

That plot arc was in Book 11, Part V: Command and Conquer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:38 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
Good point, though being the Mafia, they may have just come after him for winning, then found out about the time travel later.

That plot arc was in Book 11, Part V: Command and Conquer.

Thanks! And reading back through it, it does seem to have happened the way you suggested.
In this strip Kevyn tells them because they would torture him otherwise. He's lucky they believed him too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:15 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:

At least one of the Toughs, with a high chance of it being Tagon himself, is going to end up simultainiously cloned via REDreo and downloaded into the allstar. This is going to lead to further discussion of which version is the real one.

That'll be stupid, they've already been over that with both gate-clones and Kevyn's time-clone.

The answer is they're both equally real, and anybody who says otherwise is an idiot or trying to sell something. Or both.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:23 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Yes, I know this post is off-topic for the thread, for which I apologize.

Kendrakirai wrote:
The answer is they're both equally real, and anybody who says otherwise is an idiot or trying to sell something. Or both.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:59 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

That'll be stupid, they've already been over that with both gate-clones and Kevyn's time-clone.

Except that that's been what Tagon's entire current arc is about, what with not being the same actual person as the Tagon that blew himself up. Ending up in two places at once, NEITHER of which being the original, is the most obvious way to drive that point home. It also helps to point out to the AllStar that, hey, it's still murder even if you download them first! Plus it seems to be the logical conclusion of the current battle, as the AllStar already shows a preference to download consciousnesses before killing the bodies, and winning the current engagement without fatalities would simply be too easy.

Plus it fits into the title, a little bit of immortality becoming TOO MUCH immortality when you suddenly have two immortal copies of the same individual.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:12 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Leaving aside the moral implications. If they're both real, do they split their assets. Which one would get command. The moral and philosophical questions are the first thing that come to mind, but the actual practicalities of a person existing in two instances at the same time are also important. Especially if one of them shows up first. For instance if the Allstar repatriates a mind clone while the Red-Reo process is in the middle of cloning a body. And while the gateclones should have answered these questions they didn't actually do so on screen.

For that matter the All-Star has shown the ability to copy and edit minds as easily as we do files. I wonder if they could merge two instances of a mind back into one entity if given an incentive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:28 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
For that matter the All-Star has shown the ability to copy and edit minds as easily as we do files.

Which is to say, while it is easy to do in theory, in practice often it is neigh impossible. Having been exposed to large data files, I can tell you that dealing with them is not trivial, and often takes insight and cleverness. And what I am involved with is relatively simple, just astronomical imaging.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
For that matter the All-Star has shown the ability to copy and edit minds as easily as we do files.

Which is to say, while it is easy to do in theory, in practice often it is neigh impossible. Having been exposed to large data files, I can tell you that dealing with them is not trivial, and often takes insight and cleverness. And what I am involved with is relatively simple, just astronomical imaging.

I mean yeah, I've seen the amount of effort that goes into trying to merge two branches of a relatively similar project. A mind would be horrendously larger and more complex even if the principle is the same.

That said we know they can do it given that it's already been stated that they have the ability to seamlessly insert new memories into a mind. If they can do that for a lie, then they can do that for a merge. It's just really expense for them in terms of processing power and actual simulation hardware.

I'm sure they wouldn't do it normally, but if they end up having to pay reparations for the damage they've caused then they might be forced to.