Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:42 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Long time no Pete . . . y.

. . .

And there's the archive . . . speaking of full of hate . . .

And Petey? Native talent. After all, their native talent attracted your attention . . .

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:07 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I wonder if he was monitoring urtheep already, or if he's just getting word from the toughs. It'd be convenient if he already had the location data of the all-star, but I suspect he wasn't paying quite that much attention.

Of course, if he knows it exists I doubt he'd take long to figure its location even just by brute force methods. Tereporting networked von Neumann probes are a hell of a thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:14 am 
Intern
Intern

I have a feeling that if Petey doesn't already know exactly where the All-Star is, he soon will. Letting the All-Star know that someone as powerful as Petey is aware of their existence and location may be enough to get them to stand down all their operations. After all, they're vulnerable to a fusillade of long gun potshots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:40 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

macnut wrote:
Letting the All-Star know that someone as powerful as Petey is aware of their existence and location may be enough to get them to stand down all their operations.

L'orange's statement about the "terms of engagement from which the team has departed" indicates to me that the AllStar no longer has control of the away team. The AllStar may not be able to make the Urtheep team stand down.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:06 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
macnut wrote:
Letting the All-Star know that someone as powerful as Petey is aware of their existence and location may be enough to get them to stand down all their operations.

L'orange's statement about the "terms of engagement from which the team has departed" indicates to me that the AllStar no longer has control of the away team. The AllStar may not be able to make the Urtheep team stand down.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the AllStar no longer has control of the away team, it just means the AllStar no longer has control of the engagement. It likely means that the AllStar is standing way in the back and shouting advice. And yes, that could mean that the AllStar is not able to make Urtheep stand down, because right now the engagement looks like a bunch of tanks, who were expecting to trump armored infantry, vs a warship which trumps the tanks quite handily.

The only reason the fight isn't already over is because Tagon is trying to minimize civilian casualties and can't just make the tanks go boom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:44 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

There was more than enough time for the bot to let the rest of the assault force know about the warship in the bay. I would expect them to have brought along something to neutralize Cindy. Possibly that big machine in the back of the force.

Although I do wonder why they are going through the bay with the warship instead of taking a route that bypasses it and leads to the information vault.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:08 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
There was more than enough time for the bot to let the rest of the assault force know about the warship in the bay. I would expect them to have brought along something to neutralize Cindy. Possibly that big machine in the back of the force.

Although I do wonder why they are going through the bay with the warship instead of taking a route that bypasses it and leads to the information vault.

Who says that they aren't, or that they aren't making a bunch of noise in this direction while sending something more subtle towards the vault? Distraction and misdirection has been the modus operandi of the All-Star's agents the whole time, after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:01 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:

They may not have had anything with those kind of capabilities in the Urtheep inventory that they suborned, though that would be so contrary to Howard's usual writing style that I would expect the absence to be mentioned in-script.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:47 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

They may not have had anything with those kind of capabilities in the Urtheep inventory that they suborned, though that would be so contrary to Howard's usual writing style that I would expect the absence to be mentioned in-script.

If the enemy has an unassailable position, then you only attack it if you absolutely have to or with weak distraction forces. I suppose either of those could apply, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:04 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Nemoricus wrote:
Who says that they aren't, or that they aren't making a bunch of noise in this direction while sending something more subtle towards the vault? Distraction and misdirection has been the modus operandi of the All-Star's agents the whole time, after all.

I agree completely. Shoe 3 has dropped while Shoes 4+ engage from another direction.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:41 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

If the enemy has an unassailable position, then you only attack it if you absolutely have to or with weak distraction forces. I suppose either of those could apply, but it doesn't seem likely to me.
Why not? You only attack with "weak" distraction forces because you need the strong parts elsewhere (or elsewhen) and might prefer not telling too many wives and husbands about their spouses having honorably served as a distraction force.
But given a force that is neither suited for the main objective nor valuable in itself(*)? Distract away!

(*) because it's probably hopelessly lowtech compared to what the Allstar could field and can't be brought home anyway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:10 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Adding on to that, the All-Star's agents have not shown themselves to be adverse to sacrificing assets in the name of their mission. See the Jozagle's Purse and the first CQ-101 they suborned, both of which they sacrificed to frustrate investigation or distract from operations elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:22 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:
Adding on to that, the All-Star's agents have not shown themselves to be adverse to sacrificing assets in the name of their mission. See the Jozagle's Purse and the first CQ-101 they suborned, both of which they sacrificed to frustrate investigation or distract from operations elsewhere.

Of course they're not above it, they can create limited instances of themselves effectively at will, as seen by the fact that's literally the first thing Putzho did. Just drop said limited instances into the husks or systems and send them off. They're just drone existences. They don't even have to be properly sentient. Petey's enormous fleet is run by NON-limited instances, as we saw when he first returned and recently confirmed with there being multiple hims in the AI brainspace, and he'll still sacrifice them.