The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:07 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1079
Sounds like they plan to see how things turn out.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:07 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 437
You know given the shape of those ships and the bodies we've seen so far is anyone else getting the impression that the race that built the allstar was aquatic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 709
Arcanestomper wrote:
You know given the shape of those ships and the bodies we've seen so far is anyone else getting the impression that the race that built the allstar was aquatic.

I was thinking that they just edited their avatars over time. Don't really need legs in virtual space, after all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:02 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1079
Motortiki wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
You know given the shape of those ships and the bodies we've seen so far is anyone else getting the impression that the race that built the allstar was aquatic.

I was thinking that they just edited their avatars over time. Don't really need legs in virtual space, after all.

And I suppose you can only spend so many eons before you stop bothering with rendering ground and gravity just so your legs aren't flapping around.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:17 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 437
They don't need arms either. Much less tails and whatever that little light thing the fish has is. But they kept those. If we're going by what they need then they could do everything purely with their minds. The only reason to keep limbs is to help with visualization and to be comfortable. And if arms help with visualizing the manipulation of files, then legs help with visualizing moving through the networks.

Edit: Actually if anything I would expect millenia of having free reign over their own avatars would lead to some very outlandish designs that look nothing like anything in the physical world. At the very least to the extent that we've seen the AIs do it where they are mostly just heads. But these look like actual bodies that could work in the meat world. Well except for those floating eyebrows.

Of course possibly they do normally use stranger avatars, and they only look like this to put Putzho at ease. But in that case they probably would be using their default forms for their race, which wouldn't have the legs edited out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:15 pm 
Offline
Janitor
Janitor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2325
I'm wondering if by Restraint they mean "We're only going to Long-Gun the loading docks and secure facility below it" (rather than the whole planet) and by Regret they mean "And then we'll regret having found no other recourse".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 713
I'm wondering if they've named a couple long guns "Restraint" and "Regret" and they're going to double-tap urtheep...

On the other hand, if the Sysadmin was telling the truth and they've effectively given up their survival instinct, maybe "Restraint and Regret" are simply "Refrain from murdering a bunch of people and Regret that they found us." Putzho is the only newbie on this commitee - HE still has his survival instincts, so he doesn't quite get it. If that's the case, I definitely think the intervention team are modified versions of Putzho and co. It explains why they are doing things that the All Star didn't really expect, and why the last thing the freight vessel heard was a joke about killing coworkers. It actually makes some sense, too - if the All Star's occupants are so far modified as to drop survival instincts, they're probably really, really terrible as infiltrators.

I'm definitely getting the aquatic vibe from the Sysadmin and the Anglerfish, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:26 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 437
I was actually thinking that restraint and regret might be two specialized warships while what Putzho is looking is their home fleet. We haven't seen what happened to that probe after all. But having them be long guns, or some kind of equivalent, would work better with the deployed simultaneously bit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1079
JohnSmith wrote:
I'm wondering if they've named a couple long guns "Restraint" and "Regret" and they're going to double-tap urtheep...

On the other hand, if the Sysadmin was telling the truth and they've effectively given up their survival instinct, maybe "Restraint and Regret" are simply "Refrain from murdering a bunch of people and Regret that they found us." Putzho is the only newbie on this commitee - HE still has his survival instincts, so he doesn't quite get it. If that's the case, I definitely think the intervention team are modified versions of Putzho and co. It explains why they are doing things that the All Star didn't really expect, and why the last thing the freight vessel heard was a joke about killing coworkers. It actually makes some sense, too - if the All Star's occupants are so far modified as to drop survival instincts, they're probably really, really terrible as infiltrators.

I'm definitely getting the aquatic vibe from the Sysadmin and the Anglerfish, too.

That theory does sound compelling. It would explain why Sysadmin was willing to give Putzho so much processing power so quickly. That does revolve back to the question of how much information are they actually giving him.

_________________
If you need to use a squeegee, they're probably at least Laz-4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:55 pm
Posts: 1271
Location: City of Brotherly Love
evileeyore wrote:
I'm wondering if by Restraint they mean "We're only going to Long-Gun the loading docks and secure facility below it" (rather than the whole planet) and by Regret they mean "And then we'll regret having found no other recourse".


My initial response to this is to say that if they Long Gun the loading docks then everyone on those docks are dead. But then I realized the Toughs members there should all be backed up. But from the way she's been talking, the Daggermother probably isn't, which would be bad luck for her...

_________________
The MacNut
Artist and writer of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero comic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:35 pm
Posts: 238
macnut wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
I'm wondering if by Restraint they mean "We're only going to Long-Gun the loading docks and secure facility below it" (rather than the whole planet) and by Regret they mean "And then we'll regret having found no other recourse".


My initial response to this is to say that if they Long Gun the loading docks then everyone on those docks are dead. But then I realized the Toughs members there should all be backed up. But from the way she's been talking, the Daggermother probably isn't, which would be bad luck for her...

Depends on if they get to Cindy and she gets her shields up before the All-Star Long Gun fires, presuming that they would be using a relatively low power (eg only kiloton range) shot and not specifically targeting Cindy then they would probably survive given the sort of attacks that warship shields can shrug off. Of course if the All-Star did specifically target Cindy then she would be toast


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group