The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:07 pm 
Intern
Intern

Sounds like they plan to see how things turn out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:07 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

You know given the shape of those ships and the bodies we've seen so far is anyone else getting the impression that the race that built the allstar was aquatic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
You know given the shape of those ships and the bodies we've seen so far is anyone else getting the impression that the race that built the allstar was aquatic.

I was thinking that they just edited their avatars over time. Don't really need legs in virtual space, after all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:02 am 
Intern
Intern

Motortiki wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

I was thinking that they just edited their avatars over time. Don't really need legs in virtual space, after all.

And I suppose you can only spend so many eons before you stop bothering with rendering ground and gravity just so your legs aren't flapping around.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:17 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

They don't need arms either. Much less tails and whatever that little light thing the fish has is. But they kept those. If we're going by what they need then they could do everything purely with their minds. The only reason to keep limbs is to help with visualization and to be comfortable. And if arms help with visualizing the manipulation of files, then legs help with visualizing moving through the networks.

Edit: Actually if anything I would expect millenia of having free reign over their own avatars would lead to some very outlandish designs that look nothing like anything in the physical world. At the very least to the extent that we've seen the AIs do it where they are mostly just heads. But these look like actual bodies that could work in the meat world. Well except for those floating eyebrows.

Of course possibly they do normally use stranger avatars, and they only look like this to put Putzho at ease. But in that case they probably would be using their default forms for their race, which wouldn't have the legs edited out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:15 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

I'm wondering if by Restraint they mean "We're only going to Long-Gun the loading docks and secure facility below it" (rather than the whole planet) and by Regret they mean "And then we'll regret having found no other recourse".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:46 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I'm wondering if they've named a couple long guns "Restraint" and "Regret" and they're going to double-tap urtheep...

On the other hand, if the Sysadmin was telling the truth and they've effectively given up their survival instinct, maybe "Restraint and Regret" are simply "Refrain from murdering a bunch of people and Regret that they found us." Putzho is the only newbie on this commitee - HE still has his survival instincts, so he doesn't quite get it. If that's the case, I definitely think the intervention team are modified versions of Putzho and co. It explains why they are doing things that the All Star didn't really expect, and why the last thing the freight vessel heard was a joke about killing coworkers. It actually makes some sense, too - if the All Star's occupants are so far modified as to drop survival instincts, they're probably really, really terrible as infiltrators.

I'm definitely getting the aquatic vibe from the Sysadmin and the Anglerfish, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:26 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I was actually thinking that restraint and regret might be two specialized warships while what Putzho is looking is their home fleet. We haven't seen what happened to that probe after all. But having them be long guns, or some kind of equivalent, would work better with the deployed simultaneously bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:05 pm 
Intern
Intern

JohnSmith wrote:
I'm wondering if they've named a couple long guns "Restraint" and "Regret" and they're going to double-tap urtheep...

On the other hand, if the Sysadmin was telling the truth and they've effectively given up their survival instinct, maybe "Restraint and Regret" are simply "Refrain from murdering a bunch of people and Regret that they found us." Putzho is the only newbie on this commitee - HE still has his survival instincts, so he doesn't quite get it. If that's the case, I definitely think the intervention team are modified versions of Putzho and co. It explains why they are doing things that the All Star didn't really expect, and why the last thing the freight vessel heard was a joke about killing coworkers. It actually makes some sense, too - if the All Star's occupants are so far modified as to drop survival instincts, they're probably really, really terrible as infiltrators.

I'm definitely getting the aquatic vibe from the Sysadmin and the Anglerfish, too.

That theory does sound compelling. It would explain why Sysadmin was willing to give Putzho so much processing power so quickly. That does revolve back to the question of how much information are they actually giving him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 am 
Intern
Intern

evileeyore wrote:
I'm wondering if by Restraint they mean "We're only going to Long-Gun the loading docks and secure facility below it" (rather than the whole planet) and by Regret they mean "And then we'll regret having found no other recourse".

My initial response to this is to say that if they Long Gun the loading docks then everyone on those docks are dead. But then I realized the Toughs members there should all be backed up. But from the way she's been talking, the Daggermother probably isn't, which would be bad luck for her...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

macnut wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

My initial response to this is to say that if they Long Gun the loading docks then everyone on those docks are dead. But then I realized the Toughs members there should all be backed up. But from the way she's been talking, the Daggermother probably isn't, which would be bad luck for her...

Depends on if they get to Cindy and she gets her shields up before the All-Star Long Gun fires, presuming that they would be using a relatively low power (eg only kiloton range) shot and not specifically targeting Cindy then they would probably survive given the sort of attacks that warship shields can shrug off. Of course if the All-Star did specifically target Cindy then she would be toast