The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 pm 
Intern
Intern

On the bright side the new ammunition came in handy. but yeah, need more in-between.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Translation: Tagon knows a place nearby to dive into that can withstand a detonation measured in kilotons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
On the bright side the new ammunition came in handy. but yeah, need more in-between.

Yeah, dial-a-yeild breachers for the ships are definitely something to get on making, the ability to provide heavy fire support without excessive collateral damage is a good thing

Edit: I wonder if Cindy's shiny new main gun with the gravity braid turned all the way up to maximize containment would be suitable for use in this situation?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:32 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

That reminds of when we saw the dial a yield grenades and the discussion of how expensive they were. Which is probably why Cindy wasn't outfitted with all these various ammos to begin with. I bet warships are only typically fitted with one kind of missile. Every time they've needed a different type of missile whoever was in charge of that, usually Kevyn, had to modify or build them to purpose. Standardization would let them pack more in and is probably cheaper than trying to fit in multiple types for all occasions. Being able to cover multiple targets is either why you have multiple ship classes available, and one reason why regular navies don't just build the biggest warships they can exclusively.

At the same type a variable yield munition, while plausible given the settings military technology, would be far too expensive for the average mercenary warship and probably even regular navies. Of course that's not really an issue for the Toughs. But as we've seen the AIs talk about they haven't gotten used to having nearly unlimited resources yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Grashtel wrote:
Edit: I wonder if Cindy's shiny new main gun with the gravity braid turned all the way up to maximize containment would be suitable for use in this situation?

The gravy braid isn't for containment, it's for shield penetration...

Okay, it's probably for both.

Though now I'm wondering how the gravy would do as a weapon in it's own right without the plasma being fired as well. Just a lance of tightly braided gravy... should play merry havoc on whatever it's turned on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:27 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Has Cindy not realized that she also has a huge flamethrower weapon? As soon as Tagon and company are clear, she should use that. It's called a "Dragon class" ship for a reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:32 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

That's probably exactly the plan, it's been unspoken so far, so it will probably work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Of course that will probably also gut the station, even if it does less damage than a warhead.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:06 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
Of course that will probably also gut the station, even if it does less damage than a warhead.

At least in real-world physics, living things are a lot more vulnerable to disruption by high energy than non-living things, even if those non-living things are organic chemistry. If Kaff and company are out of range but still in the same room, then there may be some damage to the floor and ceiling near the ship, but probably not enough to cause structural damage to the building.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

At least in real-world physics, living things are a lot more vulnerable to disruption by high energy than non-living things, even if those non-living things are organic chemistry. If Kaff and company are out of range but still in the same room, then there may be some damage to the floor and ceiling near the ship, but probably not enough to cause structural damage to the building.

I don't quite see where you are coming from. The target here is a heavy tank with shields. It's surrounded by metal walls and supports without shields. I don't see how anything that can destroy a heavy tank will fail to cause a lot of collateral damage to the station. Whether Kaff and company are out of range doesn't have anything to do with it. Except by the fact it limits Cindy's ability to use her warheads.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
I don't quite see where you are coming from. The target here is a heavy tank with shields. It's surrounded by metal walls and supports without shields. I don't see how anything that can destroy a heavy tank will fail to cause a lot of collateral damage to the station. . . .

Armor works both ways. If the selected weapon primarily acts through the armor/shields, then most of the energy release will be inside the tank, where it will be absorbed by the "guts" of the tank, then by the armor. The better antiarmor weapons all work this way, because it's the damage done behind/through the armor and shields that matters. Only the maintenance crews will care about damage to the outside of the armor.

Many current antiarmor weapons will destroy a tank quite neatly, provided that onboard explosives don't detonate. There will be a not-untidy hole, and the inside will be completely destroyed.

Of course, this does not mean that it is safe for lightly armored personnel to be near the point of impact, but warship - or station receiving dock - decks and bulkheads are a very different matter.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:42 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Well, that solves the tank issue... ripped apart by gravy, like a dragonfly in a hurricane.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

0z79 wrote:
Well, that solves the tank issue... ripped apart by gravy, like a dragonfly in a hurricane.

Daggermother seems quite familiar with the specs of the tank and is expecting it to survive, given how big it is it might well have a Unishield of its own to protect it from the gravitic turbulance

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

That gravy lance is designed to pierce capital class shields, a tank has no chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
I don't see how anything that can destroy a heavy tank will fail to cause a lot of collateral damage to the station.

I don't think the shields will destroy the tank--indeed, they may not affect the tank too much at all. But it's possible (depending on which way Howard goes with this) that Cindy will be able to destroy the tank inside her shields, and the shields will prevent whatever weapon is used from "splashing" all over the station (not to mention the rather fragile organic beings in the station).

Or Howard may have some entirely different rabbit to pull out of the hat. :)

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 am 
Intern
Intern

Or this may be the beginning of the end of Cindy, as The Tank Strikes Back... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:33 am 
Intern
Intern

They keep on losing ships. I swear Tagon would lose his own head... and he did, didn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am 
Janitor
Janitor

macnut wrote:
Or this may be the beginning of the end of Cindy, as The Tank Strikes Back... :twisted:

In this movie we see the crew separated, Tagon must overcome personal issues while learning from a wise mentor and then rush off to save everyone, Breya gets frozen in carbonite, and Kevyn must teamup with an unlikely individual... a patron turned enemy turned ally: General Xinchub.

In The Return of the Salvo we have Schlock infiltrating a mobster's base only to be captured and dressed in a chainmail bikini...

Yes. All that setup was just to put the image of Schlock in Slave Leia's outfit into your head. I'm not sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
In The Return of the Salvo we have Schlock infiltrating a mobster's base only to be captured and dressed in a chainmail bikini...

Which Schlock eats. And the answer to "Does he eat the mobster, the base, or the chainmail bikini?" is of course: "Yes."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:32 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Doug Lampert wrote:
Which Schlock eats. And the answer to "Does he eat the mobster, the base, or the chainmail bikini?" is of course: "Yes."

I figured he eats the mobster, takes a bath in his base, and befriends the chainmail bikini.