Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:23 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
sotanaht wrote:
Looking back, it probably would have made a lot more sense to teleport out all of the combatants and then teraport Osiri...

Again, [citation needed] on that "teleport" bit.

There is no evidence to support any theory that such technology exist. This is Epileptic Tree territory.

Quote:
You can guarantee they had TADs in place, and we know how he defeats TAD (not looking that up).

Yes, he uses more power than they can generate, not "he uses tech that has never been discussed or described in comic".

Word of God Petey defeats TADs by opening larger defined wormholes instead of many small ones. That said I don't remember if he teleported or teraported Osiri.

Howard Tayler wrote:
WickedWolfie wrote:
vale wrote:
If long range gravity field noise producers are the only thing keeping the galaxy safe, then a sufficiently powerful ship should be able to neutralize the gravitic field noise around it and teraport out of hostile space. Punching through the fields like Petey can do seems like you would need to open the wormholes and manipulate gravity fields on the far end before you hopped through yourself. Sounds complicated. And dangerous. Something you'd prefer to do with someone else's battleplate rather than your own.

Yes, it's possible. Petey has proved that. However, it's very, very difficult. You would need to exactly cancel EVERY move of the TAD field, which, one would assume, was not entirely regular. I suspect the TAD is more targeted in its disruption that a system-wide pulse, which would make it harder to counter, but I suspect Petey's system works by using his gravitics to counter the detectable effects of what he is porting in (much more power needed, but much more reliable and stealthy) so that the gravy gun attached to the TAD is never ordered to fire in the first place.

Actually, what he's doing is creating really large wormholes, well-defined wormholes. The smaller ones don't disrupt it. Stopping Petey with a TAD is like trying to jam a 50,000 watt transmitter with the iTrip radio attachment on your iPod.

--Howard

Fishman wrote:
What I want to know is HOW they managed to hide. A stellar enclosure is an incredibly, incredibly conspicuous thing: It has all the power output of a star, so it's just as visible as a star, but it stands out as a sore thumb because it radiates all of that energy as infrared. Within about 100K years of construction, absolutely everyone in the galaxy who's looking will notice you're there. You just stand out in the galactic sky as a great big "WTF IS THAT?!?".

I think that last comic made clear that the way they hid was simply outlasting their opponents. The people around during the time they were building their first Allstar probably did know about it, but anyone who comes after that just assumes that the signature its giving off is normal for that part of the galaxy. The Allstar is smart enough to make sure it's not emitting anything that screams anomaly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:19 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Yeah, we have coatings that change the reflection and optical properties of an object quite drastically. It doesn't seem much of a stretch that future tech can modify black body emissions, to, say, give the signature of a brown dwarf.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:16 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

On another note: As far as outrunning entropy death of the universe goes, I'll take a red dwarf star any day. The now predicted lifespan is over 10 trillion years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:42 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

One thing to consider is that the civilization in that cycle was way way larger than the one that currently exists. There's only about 70 trillion sophonts per the last census. Which is a tenth of just what the Allstar managed to save. And the total population was probably much higher given the civilization who were exterminating everyone, the people in those civilizations that weren't saved, and the rest of the surviving galactic powers that eventually "won" the war.

Also given Ulaque's smug look in that last panel I bet the entire point of the Allstar isn't just to last as long as possible, but to devote a very long term research base to solving entropy. And that they've made some progress.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Also given Ulaque's smug look in that last panel I bet the entire point of the Allstar isn't just to last as long as possible, but to devote a very long term research base to solving entropy. And that they've made some progress.

The Last Question.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:31 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

This page suddenly reads quite differently.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:36 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Wait. The archive.

Could the archive be the mindsculpt stuff the All-Star uses?

What if the Gatekeepers managed to salvage some of it from the remains of the in-construction all-star?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Well the Allstar did seem to have prior knowledge of the F'sherl-Ganni. From at least the point where they had made terms with the Pa'anuri and were beginning construction of the wormgates.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:52 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:
Also given Ulaque's smug look ...

I don't read that look as smug, but rather as amused.