The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:53 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Wow... that did not go the direction I thought it would go.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:12 am 
Intern
Intern

Well.

I wonder if All-Star tech is programmed to purge the location of the All-Star from memory when leaving the vicinity?

Puhtzo might be the best guy for the job after all, as he knows how people in he generation think. But it's still pretty shocking that they killed him only to give him a warship.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:00 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

With all the giant computers I wonder if petey will get involved? His generator can out power the all star, might even be more compute power.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:07 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

The phrase "an abridged probability manifold in bay one" sounds worrying. Like a device that guesses what will happen, or maybe one that manipulates probability.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:17 am 
Intern
Intern

John Dallman wrote:
The phrase "an abridged probability manifold in bay one" sounds worrying. Like a device that guesses what will happen, or maybe one that manipulates probability.

It's probably just a really sophisticated strategy engine. In this universe time travel takes two really big gates a galaxy apart to work; timeline altering is unlikely to be cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:52 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
In this universe time travel takes two really big gates a galaxy apart to work...

As far as we know. A scary thing about the All-Star is that it preserves knowledge across multiple extinction cycles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:22 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Warior4356 wrote:
With all the giant computers I wonder if petey will get involved? His generator can out power the all star, might even be more compute power.
Are we sure about that? Gasca seemed confident that an annie plant the size of Oisri would be capable of taking on the core generator. The prohibitive factors were the necessary precision of engineering and the amount of ressources (PTUs) necessary. If the Allstar solved those problems, all bets are off.

Also, that "No returns" policy of the Allstar seems... odd. I hope there will be some more explanations. I now wonder what the actual directives of the Allstar are. Preservation of consciousnesses? Preservation of civilizations? Preservation of whoever-is-inside-and-doesn't-leave?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:16 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It's possible that the no return policy simply means that they are going to wipe the location of the allstar from his memory in order to prevent him from telling anyone or someone sifting from his remains if he gets destroyed. And since the entire point of the mission is to destroy the location data that Urtheep has there won't be any way back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:46 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
It's possible that the no return policy simply means that they are going to wipe the location of the allstar from his memory in order to prevent him from telling anyone or someone sifting from his remains if he gets destroyed. And since the entire point of the mission is to destroy the location data that Urtheep has there won't be any way back.

That's how I interpret it. In fact, I expected operatives at Urtheep to either never return, or be subject to very convoluted chain of rendezvous' where each party in the chain only knows location of next point. However the chain idea is shot down now, otherwise Putzho could be recovered.

This however begs the question (in ostensibly incorrect use of the idiom) how did they know how fight at Urtheep is proceeding? Someone in between operatives at Urtheep and All-Star has to know the location of All-Star to act as uplink.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:20 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

That and we've seen the probe returning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:08 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:

Exactly.

Also likely to have some manner of wiping it's memory of where it has been to render a return trip extremely difficult to to determine. As well as being a suicide mission, meaning Putzho isn't meant to survive this trip (if it's designed to gravy itself the way Jozangle's Purse did before capture).

M[i]ech wrote:
This however begs the question (in ostensibly incorrect use of the idiom) how did they know how fight at Urtheep is proceeding?

Passive reception of hypernode relayed info. If it's broadcast 'globally', then their location wouldn't be compromised.

But it's likely it's the Probe sending the info directly.

Cifer wrote:

We have? When?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:13 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

M[i]ech wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

That's how I interpret it. In fact, I expected operatives at Urtheep to either never return, or be subject to very convoluted chain of rendezvous' where each party in the chain only knows location of next point. However the chain idea is shot down now, otherwise Putzho could be recovered.

This however begs the question (in ostensibly incorrect use of the idiom) how did they know how fight at Urtheep is proceeding? Someone in between operatives at Urtheep and All-Star has to know the location of All-Star to act as uplink.

I assumed that the All-Star was monitoring the situation at Urtheep remotely somehow. In other words, no direct contact with the team, which would also explain why they need someone to interdict for them.

Last edited by Motortiki on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:25 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

There are ways around that. It could sending messages through a small wormhole to some random spot in space - and the all-star could have another wormhole listening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:14 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Cifer wrote:

We have? When?

Here, last panel. Though I admit this could theoretically be the probe starting, I'd assume the amount of information provided sounds like their recon trip is already complete.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:49 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Cifer wrote:
Here, last panel. Though I admit this could theoretically be the probe starting, I'd assume the amount of information provided sounds like their recon trip is already complete.

Riiight... I'd say "That's not a theory", that is the probe being launched as they were just discussing how much they desperately needed info and not how much they desperately need the probe back to give them said info.

Said Probe is probably why they now know that the Away Team is screwing things up and why they sent Putzho on a one-way voyage of discovery and intercession.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:50 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Surprised the Allstar didn't keep a copy of him on tap so he knows a part of him will be happy in virtual paradise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:22 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Who is to say they didn't keep a copy? Run a couple of different instances of Putzho, and manipulate them in different ways . . .

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:21 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

FreeFlier wrote:
Who is to say they didn't keep a copy? Run a couple of different instances of Putzho, and manipulate them in different ways . . .

--FreeFlier

This is confusing me, too. They're obviously capable of making copies, since the version of Putzho they were talking to was a copy of his meat mind. Minds like his are obviously a rare resource, since no one else they collected from his group seemed to be nearly as interesting to talk to. Why not make the pilot for the attack ship a cloned node instead of his primary/only instance?

I'm starting to wonder if the people Putzho was talking to weren't just stringing him along and playing him for a patsy from the first. "He's happier believing you're only acting like a jerk" indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:07 pm 
Intern
Intern

FreeFlier wrote:

--FreeFlier

Never mind that, who says there isn't a mindraped Putzho on the offense team?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:20 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:

--FreeFlier

Never mind that, who says there isn't a mindraped Putzho on the offense team?
If they were lying to Putzho when they said "lying is expensive", when they told him everything else about the place and gave him root access to himself, it doesn't make much sense narratively. The audience would get pretty confused by that. The easiest way to manipulate someone is by telling them the truth, especially when you know which way the truth will make that someone jump...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:33 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Zinho wrote:
This is confusing me, too. They're obviously capable of making copies, since the version of Putzho they were talking to was a copy of his meat mind.

And what copy of Putzho is going to accept having been held back against his wishes? If given the same information he'd likely be just as upset as had this version been told "No, we're sending someone else".

Also, if the cost of doing something is high it creates an entry barrier, it keeps out those that aren't possible of the right mindset from wanting to take on those tasks.

Now, having said that, I will be exceedingly disappointed if Putzho survives this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:57 pm 
Intern
Intern

evileeyore wrote:
Now, having said that, I will be exceedingly disappointed if Putzho survives this.

I will be exceedingly disappointed if Putzho doesn't. Imagine the shenanigans he could get up to. He may just become the merc's next ship and AI.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:
I will be exceedingly disappointed if Putzho doesn't. Imagine the shenanigans he could get up to. He may just become the merc's next ship and AI.

I believe that it is Time For Consequences.

Having established that even with RED-REO "immortality" Life Is Not Cheap(TM), it's time to remind the dear reader that some consequences cannot be walked back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Warior4356 wrote:

And where has it said that? remember Osiri would have allowed the UNS to beat Petey and that was a 3000km sphere.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:41 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

ushio wrote:
Warior4356 wrote:

And where has it said that? remember Osiri would have allowed the UNS to beat Petey and that was a 3000km sphere.

It is a zero-point-energy generator and its output is many billions of times taht of a really big star. (For sufficiently absurd values of "many". Seriously there's a lot of energy there.)

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:58 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

That. Petey can brute force the all star, and is so distributed they cant erase the information if he gets it. Petey is a worst case scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:42 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

ushio wrote:
Warior4356 wrote:

Oisri is a 3000 klick *annihilation plant*.

The all-star is merely a lame old *star*. Not a particularly feisty one, at that. Great for long term 'trickle charge' like a matryoshka brain. Not so good for running more high impact things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:50 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
ushio wrote:
Warior4356 wrote:

The all-star is merely a lame old *star*. Not a particularly feisty one, at that. Great for long term 'trickle charge' like a matryoshka brain. Not so good for running more high impact things.

I thought we were told that osiri was not an annie plant .

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:44 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
ushio wrote:
Warior4356 wrote:

No, the All-Star is a shell around a star, a shell that judging from the depictions of it is probably millions of kilometers thick, it could easily contain thousands of Kkm class annie plants that they don't normally have active due to them being detectable and not needing the huge energy output unless they are running their offensive or defensive capabilities

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:17 am 
Intern
Intern

Grashtel wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
Warior4356 wrote:
ushio wrote:

No, the All-Star is a shell around a star, a shell that judging from the depictions of it is probably millions of kilometers thick, it could easily contain thousands of Kkm class annie plants that they don't normally have active due to them being detectable and not needing the huge energy output unless they are running their offensive or defensive capabilities

Just because it can doesn't mean it does. The whole point of a stellar enclosure is to get by without annie plants.

The warships no doubt contain annie plants, but we have no reason to be certain that the All-Star itself is peppered with huge plants. We should've seen them in the cross section.