The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017-8-14 A Klling Joke
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

If I were in the bosun's shoes right now, I'd kill both engineering drones right now. Is it a joke, or is it an enemy infiltrator trying to mask an outburst before they established control?

This situation is too uncertain for that kind of risk.

Last edited by Nemoricus on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:32 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Welp, kill them both immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It depends on exactly how the hive-mind individual personalities work....

If Phil is backed up, or is some sort of 'virtual' personality created at-will by the hive mind, then yeah, shoot now, apologise later.

If Phil actually does have some kind of independent sapient existence... ask Cindy to initiate hypernode jamming of Phil's brain, and make a shielded call to Eina-afa to make sure everyone's still trustworthy there.

Also, I think I figured out what the enemy strategy is.... Either capture Cindercone and ash the entire facility... or else capture one of Chinook's long guns.... and ash the entire facility.

Plan three... use the long guns to convince all of civilization to ash each other.... because it's the only way to be sure.

I'm getting the impression that whoever authorized this little mission did NOT properly screen the loyalties and motivations of their strike team before authorizing them to depart.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Krennson wrote:

If Phil is backed up, or is some sort of 'virtual' personality created at-will by the hive mind, then yeah, shoot now, apologise later.

If Phil actually does have some kind of independent sapient existence... ask Cindy to initiate hypernode jamming of Phil's brain, and make a shielded call to Eina-afa to make sure everyone's still trustworthy there.

Also, I think I figured out what the enemy strategy is.... Either capture Cindercone and ash the entire facility... or else capture one of Chinook's long guns.... and ash the entire facility.

Plan three... use the long guns to convince all of civilization to ash each other.... because it's the only way to be sure.

I'm getting the impression that whoever authorized this little mission did NOT properly screen the loyalties and motivations of their strike team before authorizing them to depart.

They do have another mechanical lifeform on board. And Neeka specializes in repairing people. This is exactly the sort of thing I would go get her to diagnose. Though shielding the engineers in the mean time is probably a good idea.

As for the infiltrators while they do seem to be going off the allstar's script I do not think they are going so far as to blow up civilization.

Consider that either they are the suborned members of the Urtheep exploration crew, in which case they have underlying reasons not to kill anyone. Or they are uploaded agents of the allstar, in which case they subscribe to the Allstar's policy of very limited collateral damage.

Remember all the worries about the Allstar being an all powerful entity willing to do anything are coming from Ennesby originally and filtered through the rest of the Toughs. None of them have access to the inside look we had into the Allstar's motivations. So of course they're going to be very paranoid. But we still haven't seen the infiltrators really fight back as hard as they could have. Nor have we gotten any dialogue from them since they started. So their motivations and plans, besides destroying the location data, are pretty up in the air right now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Krennson wrote:

They do have another mechanical lifeform on board. And Neeka specializes in repairing people. This is exactly the sort of thing I would go get her to diagnose. Though shielding the engineers in the mean time is probably a good idea.

As for the infiltrators while they do seem to be going off the allstar's script I do not think they are going so far as to blow up civilization.

Consider that either they are the suborned members of the Urtheep exploration crew, in which case they have underlying reasons not to kill anyone. Or they are uploaded agents of the allstar, in which case they subscribe to the Allstar's policy of very limited collateral damage.

Remember all the worries about the Allstar being an all powerful entity willing to do anything are coming from Ennesby originally and filtered through the rest of the Toughs. None of them have access to the inside look we had into the Allstar's motivations. So of course they're going to be very paranoid. But we still haven't seen the infiltrators really fight back as hard as they could have. Nor have we gotten any dialogue from them since they started. So their motivations and plans, besides destroying the location data, are pretty up in the air right now.

Yeah, but remember... roughly 1% of the Allstar's capacity is devoted to holding forcibly kidnapped members of a previous galactic civilization. And the Allstar has demonstrated a willingness to promote the people it's kidnapped, and a reluctance to forcibly control their brains....

If the strike team is composed of former refuges with unknown grudges, and who were never properly mind-scanned... who knows WHAT their true motivations are?

Also, remember that the Allstar is composed of individuals, who apparently have some sort of political process... and of the three natives we've met there, one is an honorable man, one is a jerk, and one intimidates newcomers by pretending to be a god. I'd say it's highly unlikely that EVERYONE in the Allstar can be trusted to abide by it's moral code and standing orders... after all, they already disobeyed the orders not to engage in a gratuitous first strike.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

All of them are just nodes. This is a kill them all (not just both) and let God sort it out scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:21 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

@Arcanestomper
Quote:
They're almost certainly not Urtheep. I believe it was said that the Allstar uploaded its own people into their forms. Further, the Allstar as a society wants limited collateral damage, but we already know the away team has gone off-script, substituting "gentle proactivity" with "first strike".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:34 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Unless you can pull a source Cifer, I don't think it's been stated WHO the infiltration team was. The best evidence I can remember is "That sounds like something I'd say, if I'd decided to kill my coworkers."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:29 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Unless you can pull a source Cifer, I don't think it's been stated WHO the infiltration team was. The best evidence I can remember is "That sounds like something I'd say, if I'd decided to kill my coworkers."
Well, they're as much Urtheep as Mako was Mathilde.
Source.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Cifer wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:
Source.

Those empty meatforms were probably onboard the Purse when she augured into Bacchus and imploded.

Because otherwise, they'd actually be, you know, walking around out there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Would someone like to fix the thread title's date?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

keybounce wrote:

Willingly, if I could see how to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kendrakirai wrote:
Cifer wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:
Source.

Those empty meatforms were probably onboard the Purse when she augured into Bacchus and imploded.

Because otherwise, they'd actually be, you know, walking around out there.

"Imprinted Agents" could be read a few ways. Could be copies of All-Star agents ala the gav-zombies, or could be modified versions of the Urtheep crew themselves.

No question in my mind that they original bodies were used and toasted though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

keybounce wrote:

Fixed.