The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017-8-19 Not Okay...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I feel sorry for the Bosun. He did the right thing in this case...but it can't have been easy, at all.

Also, is anybody else concerned about all the little Ot-Skadak bugs that might still be lurking around the ship?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:51 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I think the bosun got most of them, as well...

Really, it's the same with Tagon. Both of them did the right thing, given their information - but they just straight up murdered some of their crew. We know Tagon at least is going to take that hard, when he has time.

Wonder if the bugs had RED? Given the current galactic situation, it seems like you'd want RED before signing up as a mercenary, and the rest of the crew seems to have it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:48 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
I think the bosun got most of them, as well...

Really, it's the same with Tagon. Both of them did the right thing, given their information - but they just straight up murdered some of their crew. We know Tagon at least is going to take that hard, when he has time.

Wonder if the bugs had RED? Given the current galactic situation, it seems like you'd want RED before signing up as a mercenary, and the rest of the crew seems to have it.

Do they even need it? If they are just nodes then all they've lost is bodies and maybe a bit of distributed processing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:18 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I am OK with that. But I'm a massive xenophobe when it comes to hive minds.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Miech, WHY? They're the coolest thing! Brains should be distributed, it would make everything so much cooler. And more redundant to boot!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:29 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

There is one violation of a person-hood that in my eyes is worse than murder: mind control.

To me, hive minds are atrocities of brainwashing, mind control and mind-rape rolled into one neat package of horror. Hive made of "nodes", what a clean name, to direct away the hideousness, capable of sentience on their own, is monster deserving only unconditional destruction.

I would prefer to release the slaves otherwise than into embrace of death, but I am afraid that after destruction of person-hood under oppression of the hive mind, there is nothing left to be released.

There is only one way to deal with hive minds - burn them to the ground, scatter the ashes, salt the earth and erase their very existence from records of history.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:40 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I'm sure your left and right hemispheres would be delighted at the prospect of being liberated...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:02 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
There is one violation of a person-hood that in my eyes is worse than murder: mind control.

To me, hive minds are atrocities of brainwashing, mind control and mind-rape rolled into one neat package of horror. Hive made of "nodes", what a clean name, to direct away the hideousness, capable of sentience on their own, is monster deserving only unconditional destruction.

I would prefer to release the slaves otherwise than into embrace of death, but I am afraid that after destruction of person-hood under oppression of the hive mind, there is nothing left to be released.

There is only one way to deal with hive minds - burn them to the ground, scatter the ashes, salt the earth and erase their very existence from records of history.

You are of course assuming that each node is capable of sentience on its own. That might hold true of an engineered hive mind made out of otherwise individual races, but probably not for a naturally evolved hivemind.

As JohnSmith noted either of your brain hemispheres is fully capable of running your mind on its own, but obviously we don't consider ourselves hive minds. In fact I would expect that you could divide a human brain into even smaller partitions that could still function individually, though not with full human capability.

In the same way I would expect that any naturally evolved hive mind's nodes would neither have any concept of individuality nor be capable of running even a fraction of the full hive mind can do. Due to the benefits of specialization a hive mind would be more than the sum of its nodes. Much the same way that multi cellular organisms benefit from the specialization of their cells.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:54 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:

Don't hold back, man, tell us what you REALLY feel.

But seriously, this is assuming a Borg-type collective that is unable or unwilling to reproduce and expands via assimilation of other life into their collective.

There exist eusocial creatures on earth, right now, who could be considered to have a 'hive intelligence' to a point (though clearly not via some sort of telepathy)

Remember T'chukk? He was a bicameral communal intelligence - one mind, two bodies. There's been no evidence that such a thing is possible to engineer into a species that hasn't evolved this in some way to begin with in Schlock. There's the Fleetmind, which were computers that are DEAIGNED to communicate fully via data streams, the Ot-skadak, which evolved (or engineered themselves) over ten million years to be what they are, T'chukk's species, whatever he was...Carbosilicate amorphs, which DO retain their selves, and only share when they touch...

The best anyone else has done is remote monkey piloting Or total brain rewrite via Redhack.

Well, and Doythaban, but he's almost certainly deader than dead, considering he hasn't been seen since he turned himself in to Xinchub, AND he wasn't a true communal intelligence anyway, he was just two minds in the same body.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:53 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Yea, I'm sure that bees and ants would love to be independent, instead of part of a hive mind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:42 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

keybounce wrote:
Yea, I'm sure that bees and ants would love to be independent, instead of part of a hive mind.

Ehhh... that's not really a hive mind. Sure... it's possibly representative of one in a very limited/primitive state. But not what I'd actually call a 'hive mind'.