The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Alex wrote:
Does anybody else feels like Ezraene was all-starred / co-opted / mind-hacked?

Interesting theory. Plays nicely into the "this is all sound and fury/smoke and mirrors" stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:33 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
Alex wrote:
Does anybody else feels like Ezraene was all-starred / co-opted / mind-hacked?

Interesting theory. Plays nicely into the "this is all sound and fury/smoke and mirrors" stuff.

But if she was co-opted, she would of just deleted the data and been done with it. None of the smoke and mirrors would be necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:09 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Motortiki wrote:
But if she was co-opted, she would of just deleted the data and been done with it. None of the smoke and mirrors would be necessary.

If she can. That may very well be outside her jurisdiction.

However, I do agree. Even if I like the theory, it is unlikely. It's more likely her inquisitiveness was simply as she represented it, she'd never met someone completely brought back from beyond LAZ-3.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:23 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Motortiki wrote:

Depends on her motivation. If she doesn't have to get away with it, I don't see many of her team denying her when she orders a quick check on vault whatsitsnumber to see if the info is still there.

All in all, though, I hope there are as few further brain hacks as possible because the candidates are those that are currently most fascinating for me from a sci-fi point of view: a mechorganic lifeform, a hivemind and a no-nonsense warrior of a species with an interesting sexual dimorphism.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Cifer wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Motortiki wrote:

Depends on her motivation. If she doesn't have to get away with it, I don't see many of her team denying her when she orders a quick check on vault whatsitsnumber to see if the info is still there.

All in all, though, I hope there are as few further brain hacks as possible because the candidates are those that are currently most fascinating for me from a sci-fi point of view: a mechorganic lifeform, a hivemind and a no-nonsense warrior of a species with an interesting sexual dimorphism.

A slightly *baffling* sexual dimorphism if you ask me - I went into it in another thread months ago when she first appeared, but basically, it doesnt make much sense for the females to be both outnumbered so numerously by males *and* more aggressive and biologically 'expensive'. It's putting way too many eggs in one basket, so to speak. Without females, there's no reproduction, but the females are aggressive, expensive, and uncommon. How did they survive long enough to reach first contact? What possible kind of evolutionary pressure could have driven that kind of dimorphism and population ratio?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:05 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Kendrakirai wrote:
How did they survive long enough to reach first contact?

Being the best predators on their world would do it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:16 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
A slightly *baffling* sexual dimorphism if you ask me - I went into it in another thread months ago when she first appeared, but basically, it doesnt make much sense for the females to be both outnumbered so numerously by males *and* more aggressive and biologically 'expensive'. It's putting way too many eggs in one basket, so to speak. Without females, there's no reproduction, but the females are aggressive, expensive, and uncommon. How did they survive long enough to reach first contact? What possible kind of evolutionary pressure could have driven that kind of dimorphism and population ratio?

We see examples of lots of this sort of thing though on earth. Maybe not all combined, but the pieces are all there.

Spiders, by and large have that kind of dimorphism.
We also know nothing about their reproductive cycle. If the egg clutch is even tended, it could very easily be tended by the males, not the females. Sea-horses do that.

I agree, there's probably some -fascinating- selection pressures in their evolutionary history. And I think it's creating something interesting here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:14 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

We've seen a jellyfish that evolved to fill itself with explosive gas, and a rabbit that evolved to fly with it's ears for a brief period. Not to mention the Essperin which are probably someones mining machines run wild. Weird evolutionary backgrounds are par for the course in this setting.