PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 pm 
Intern
Intern

Oh yay now we should get answers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:17 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Putzho has entered the building.

Is he trying to emulate our favourite drop-bear or something?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

So far I like him better than the drop bear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:19 pm 
Intern
Intern

Is Enney's eyebrow because he's currently receiving an infodump?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
Is Enney's eyebrow because he's currently receiving an infodump?

Nah, those usually get glowing eyes.

I was going to type something witty here.....but yeah...I couldn't think of anything.

Oh but here's a favorite quote: "I would remind you
that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind
you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:09 pm 
Intern
Intern

Seems the ex wind God is NOT unflappable.

And it's noteworthy that he claims to out - drop the dropbear, but Petey cannot possibly be using all his power for this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Petey might not be using all his power, but Putzho isn't all the Allstar's power either. Of course we haven't been shown the scale of the cruiser yet. It might be something the size of one of Petey's dreadnoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:41 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Its also possible its an issue of compute power not raw power. That like what tenzy did with encryption, but intead of just a single key they are decrypting the entire hypernet conversation. To be honest, I would not be suprised if petey owns all the hypernet nodes.

Consider the size of the AI bus on the serial peacemaker and the touch and go. That ai had a lot of power. The ai on a battle plate is even stronger. Petey is orders of magnitude more compute power than even battle plates. Hell look at what little tenzy can do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 am 
Janitor
Janitor

grahamf wrote:
And it's noteworthy that he claims to out - drop the dropbear, but Petey cannot possibly be using all his power for this.

In this case i believe it's less a matter of "power" but more of "didn't need to be there until Putzho was there".

At which point he hacked his way in. Probably as Warior4356 suggests, by 'owning' the hypernet node the convo is going through. Whether 'legally' or via hack. And if it was via hack, Putzho obviously saw the hack, which is suggestive of the level of technical skill at Putzho's disposal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:52 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

By the way, we now know Putzho is mighty indeed: He's using a different style of fiddly-bit!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:50 am 
Intern
Intern

IMO, we need to take a moment to think about what both Petey and Putzho have done here. They have done the equivalent of someone calling your phone, but instead of it ringing and you having to push a button/pick up the receiver/touch an icon to accept the call, there is no ring and they just start talking, like they turned your phone into an intercom or two-way radio.

Imagine how technically savvy someone has to be (i.e. "good at hacking") to basically, force you to take their call. It's a telemarketer's and bill collector's dream and an utter nightmare for the one receiving that call.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:25 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Not really; the projector is a physical object, there's no hacking involved - Petey (and now Putzho) just teraport them where they want. If you want to extend analogies, this isn't hacking someone's phone - it's tossing an active walkie-talkie into their window (glass be damned).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:48 am 
Intern
Intern

Heh, more like tossing that walkie-talkie through steel shuttered windows. Remember they've got TAD up to supposedly prevent such things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:58 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Obviously, but that's a function of how much kinetic energy you can impart to said walkie-talkie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:27 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Barmaglot wrote:
Not really; the projector is a physical object, there's no hacking involved - Petey (and now Putzho) just teraport them where they want. If you want to extend analogies, this isn't hacking someone's phone - it's tossing an active walkie-talkie into their window (glass be damned).
Somewhat true, though I'm not quite sure whether that accounts for all such projectors. Petey has tried to cut down on the "brute-forcing TADs for fun and giggles" for some books now and if Putzho can cram the energy generation necessary for it onto his one "super-cruiser", we've just encountered a new high-point of maxim 24. I think their usual MO is by now to just hack systems and either use the on-board projectors or add a TAD exemption.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:47 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Life as digital consciousness seems to be working well for Putzho, he is using his abilities like they are second nature.

But more importantly, what about location of All-Star? Putzho does plan to somehow destroy that data? Heck, since both Toughs and Urtheep know what attackers were after, why didn't Urtheep spam location data into all other facilities?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Mech wrote:
But more importantly, what about location of All-Star? Putzho does plan to somehow destroy that data? Heck, since both Toughs and Urtheep know what attackers were after, why didn't Urtheep spam location data into all other facilities?

I refer to my earlier (likes weeks ago) prediction:

Putzho's mission is not to [i]contain the spread of the knowledge.

At least based on available information, it really can't be. Putzho could not be allowed to leave knowing what he knows. He is a security risk. A massive one. there fore I put forth that his mission was actually to alert the galaxy (or at least the proper authorities (like Petey)) of the All-Star's existence, if not also it's location.

Petey at least would be genuinely enthused to work with, assist, and receive advice from the All-Star in his mission to save the galcivs from themselves.

Last edited by evileeyore on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:40 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

M[i]ech wrote:
Life as digital consciousness seems to be working well for Putzho, he is using his abilities like they are second nature.

Putzho may not have told them that the location data was the actual goal. Indeed, Putzho may have left bunches of stuff out of his explanation. We have no idea if he follows the "It's too expensive to lie" ethos of the All-Star, or the "Cleanup in briefing room three" security model Xinchub used to use.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

M[i]ech wrote:
...why didn't Urtheep spam location data into all other facilities?

Why would Urtheep do this? They haven't been spoken to by Putzho.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Cifer wrote:
Somewhat true, though I'm not quite sure whether that accounts for all such projectors. Petey has tried to cut down on the "brute-forcing TADs for fun and giggles" for some books now and if Putzho can cram the energy generation necessary for it onto his one "super-cruiser", we've just encountered a new high-point of maxim 24. I think their usual MO is by now to just hack systems and either use the on-board projectors or add a TAD exemption.

It is doubtful that on-board projectors are equipped for amorph sample collection and either onboard analysis or delivery back to the Plenipotent Dominion, but while Petey is coy about how he does it, he claims it isn't subverting local systems.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

In that case... I doubt chinook would keep petey out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:44 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Iafa was right miffed about Petey and Putzho showing up on his bridge just yesterday, and I doubt Manny would have extended an invitation to Petey without so much as informing his commanding admiral either, so I don't think Petey needs permission to pop his holo-node where he wants to.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:19 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:
...why didn't Urtheep spam location data into all other facilities?

Why would Urtheep do this? They haven't been spoken to by Putzho.

Because Toughs figured it out before attacks even begun. IIRC Daggermother even threatened them with lawsuit over how they got enough data to figure it out. As soon as hostilities begun, data should have been backed up in every available Urtheep facility.

EDIT: Here:
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-04-30
And here:
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-05-06

Threat is more of an implied than spelled out, and it's Ebby who articulates it, but my point is that they know what attackers are after. Sending data off-site would have made attacker's goal impossible to accomplish.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:52 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

True, but we don't know how difficult or easy it is to actually make that backup. The point of the vault is obviously that no unauthorized backups (aka data theft) can occur, meaning air-gapped servers. Presumably, one would also need a certain security clearance to work on these servers and there's also likely some protocol for duplicating and sending these files.
All this might mean that between the point when the Toughs convince Daggermother they're under attack by an enemy that wants to erase rather than steal information and the point where Charlie finishes putting on his dancing shoes, there might not be enough time to actually retrieve and transmit the information.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:37 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

M[i]ech wrote:
Because Toughs figured it out before attacks even begun.

Good point, however my position simply shifts to "Why would they bother?" Ezarine had it under control until the last few minutes.

At the point that Cindy begins infowarzing the comm channels? yeah, that's about when someone up the chain from Ezarine should have pushed the button on any "relocate/spread plans". If they had them. Which I doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:07 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I also question whether it would be practical for Urtheep to disseminate that information in an expeditious manner. It's stored in an icebox, after all, and who knows what security measures are in place? If it takes four people with two keys each in a narrow window of time to open up the vault, then you're not exactly going to be be able to get the information out on a whim.

Considering that their overriding concern was the information leaking to their competitors, I suspect that they made it quite inconvenient to open up the icebox.