The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
Like the subject says. That's my biggest question right now. They've had millions of years. BILLIONS. They could have left a dozen different ways now, into the intergalactic void - or at least the very outskirts of the galaxy - but they didn't.

WHY?

They could have stockpiled energy for a truly epic Teraport. They could have used gravity manipulation to simply push their star out of position and out of the plane of the elliptic. Even at a relatively leisurely speed, they'd have been outside the Milky Way by now. But they stayed, and they stayed PUT.

Apparently just WAITING TO BE FOUND.

That's not the actions of a people who never want to be discovered. That's the actions of a *booby trap*. That's passive malevolence. 'oopsy, you found us, time to kill you all! Let's hope next time you don't develop the means to threaten us while we just sit here like idiots despite it being ESSENTIALLY INEVITABLE THAT TECHNOLOGY FOLLOWS THIS PROGRESSION SOONER OR LATER. I mean, it's not like we haven't seen this happen literally HUNDREDS of times before!'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:34 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 679
Kendrakirai wrote:
Like the subject says. That's my biggest question right now. They've had millions of years. BILLIONS. They could have left a dozen different ways now, into the intergalactic void - or at least the very outskirts of the galaxy - but they didn't.

WHY?

They could have stockpiled energy for a truly epic Teraport. They could have used gravity manipulation to simply push their star out of position and out of the plane of the elliptic. Even at a relatively leisurely speed, they'd have been outside the Milky Way by now. But they stayed, and they stayed PUT.

Apparently just WAITING TO BE FOUND.

That's not the actions of a people who never want to be discovered. That's the actions of a *booby trap*. That's passive malevolence. 'oopsy, you found us, time to kill you all! Let's hope next time you don't develop the means to threaten us while we just sit here like idiots despite it being ESSENTIALLY INEVITABLE THAT TECHNOLOGY FOLLOWS THIS PROGRESSION SOONER OR LATER. I mean, it's not like we haven't seen this happen literally HUNDREDS of times before!'

I agree with a lot of your points, except the last one. The All-Star doesn't want to kill everyone, in fact the are working to avoid that outcome. Their express purpose to to preserve.

I think the All-Star wanted to remain accessible to the galaxy, or at least have the potential to be so. Or maybe they couldn't agree on what to do after the total disaster that was their last contact, and stayed put out of bureaucratic inertia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:58 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm
Posts: 421
Kendrakirai wrote:
Like the subject says. That's my biggest question right now. They've had millions of years. BILLIONS. They could have left a dozen different ways now, into the intergalactic void - or at least the very outskirts of the galaxy - but they didn't.

WHY?

They could have stockpiled energy for a truly epic Teraport. They could have used gravity manipulation to simply push their star out of position and out of the plane of the elliptic. Even at a relatively leisurely speed, they'd have been outside the Milky Way by now. But they stayed, and they stayed PUT.




That... is a very interesting question. The minimum age of the All-star is what, 3 galactic civilizations, about 30 million years? probably close to 100 million? And the Milkyway is only about 100,000 light-years across... the fastest Hyper-velocity star in the milky way is about 400 km/s, or just over 1/1000th of light speed.... so to travel from the center of the milky way to the rim, would take about 37 million years. easier if they aim for the ecliptic, or started somewhere closer to the rim.... And assuming they were trying to pretend to have a velocity in range with a 'typical' hyper-velocity star.


As I understand schlockiverse science, Teraporting outside the galaxy won't work, even with a Core Drive, unless the core drive is transmitting a relatively small payload, like a warship, not a planet. So they're probably limited to a "max" speed of somewhere between 1%-10% of light, especially if they don't want to form a relativistic bow-wave which would give their position away as they impact interstellar dust...

So... possible explanations....

1. The All-star has serious internal political problems, and can't agree on anything like that. or agree on much of anything, really.
2. The All-Star DID make that decision, but only in the last 10 million years or so, and hasn't yet exited the Milky Way's sphere of influence.
3. The All-Star has actually already tried that, fleeing from the Andromeda Galaxy to here, which is about 2.5 million light years away.
4. The All-Star can't leave until they finish building a back-up All-Star, just in case.
5. Ulaque is not actually representative of the All-Star's common viewpoints, and the All-Star wants the ability to continue using the Milky Way to make more All-Stars ad nauseum. Possibly with a side-order of creepy galactic conquest in a few hundred million years.
6. Deep Intergalactic space is ruled entirely by the DAME's, who like to eat any Stars or Planets departing the Galaxy. especially inhabited ones.

Personally, I kind of like explanation #1. And there are probably more explanations I've missed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:09 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 516
The most pertinent answer would probably be, it'd probably be too easy to spot and pop OUTSIDE the galaxy by someone with long guns attached to a galactic core generator.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:45 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
Krennson wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
Like the subject says. That's my biggest question right now. They've had millions of years. BILLIONS. They could have left a dozen different ways now, into the intergalactic void - or at least the very outskirts of the galaxy - but they didn't.

WHY?

They could have stockpiled energy for a truly epic Teraport. They could have used gravity manipulation to simply push their star out of position and out of the plane of the elliptic. Even at a relatively leisurely speed, they'd have been outside the Milky Way by now. But they stayed, and they stayed PUT.




That... is a very interesting question. The minimum age of the All-star is what, 3 galactic civilizations, about 30 million years? probably close to 100 million? And the Milkyway is only about 100,000 light-years across... the fastest Hyper-velocity star in the milky way is about 400 km/s, or just over 1/1000th of light speed.... so to travel from the center of the milky way to the rim, would take about 37 million years. easier if they aim for the ecliptic, or started somewhere closer to the rim.... And assuming they were trying to pretend to have a velocity in range with a 'typical' hyper-velocity star.


As I understand schlockiverse science, Teraporting outside the galaxy won't work, even with a Core Drive, unless the core drive is transmitting a relatively small payload, like a warship, not a planet. So they're probably limited to a "max" speed of somewhere between 1%-10% of light, especially if they don't want to form a relativistic bow-wave which would give their position away as they impact interstellar dust...

So... possible explanations....

1. The All-star has serious internal political problems, and can't agree on anything like that. or agree on much of anything, really.
2. The All-Star DID make that decision, but only in the last 10 million years or so, and hasn't yet exited the Milky Way's sphere of influence.
3. The All-Star has actually already tried that, fleeing from the Andromeda Galaxy to here, which is about 2.5 million light years away.
4. The All-Star can't leave until they finish building a back-up All-Star, just in case.
5. Ulaque is not actually representative of the All-Star's common viewpoints, and the All-Star wants the ability to continue using the Milky Way to make more All-Stars ad nauseum. Possibly with a side-order of creepy galactic conquest in a few hundred million years.
6. Deep Intergalactic space is ruled entirely by the DAME's, who like to eat any Stars or Planets departing the Galaxy. especially inhabited ones.

Personally, I kind of like explanation #1. And there are probably more explanations I've missed.


Actually, according to the timeline of the war of wars the All-Star fought the MINIMUM it could be is 3.161 billion years old, because that's when the under-construction All-Star was destroyed.

That doesn't mean that PARTICULAR all-Star is that old, but it does mean they had at LEAST that long to pack their bags and start meandering outside the galaxy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
Reaver225 wrote:
The most pertinent answer would probably be, it'd probably be too easy to spot and pop OUTSIDE the galaxy by someone with long guns attached to a galactic core generator.


And I ask you a question: who would be wanting to pop them if they have NO IDEA ANYTHING INTERESTING IS THERE?

You're assuming somebody would see this thing, assuming anybody ever even DID see it, outside of the galaxy and go 'Durr imma SHOOT IT'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:42 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 1137
Kendrakirai wrote:
Actually, according to the timeline of the war of wars the All-Star fought the MINIMUM it could be is 3.161 billion years old, because that's when the under-construction All-Star was destroyed.

That doesn't mean that PARTICULAR all-Star is that old, but it does mean they had at LEAST that long to pack their bags and start meandering outside the galaxy.

Well, if they've been around for a billion years, they could have hustled their butts a good 34K LY using techniques no more complicated than simply opening all the windows on one side: A Shkadov thruster, and considerably further if they've had 2 or 3 billion years, as the acceleration just keeps adding up. At this point we can simply conclude they don't want to leave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:20 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 365
Given that they tried to upload a galactic civilization, although it went poorly, and that their real fight is with entropy. I figured they wanted to stick around and monitor every galactic civilization. For selfish reasons in case those galactic civilizations figured something out, and altruistic ones to preserve the occasional civilization that looked like it would be willing to upload.

The point is they aren't trying to hide from mortal enemies. They're trying to fight the physical laws of the universe. And just leaving the galaxy wouldn't help with that at all.

Also I think the booby trap argument is taking too much from Ennesby's plan. We've seen absolutely no indication from the allstar side that they want to kill everyone. They might not all be as benevolent as Ullaque, but we haven't seen anything contradicting his stance. Even the infiltrators haven't actually killed anyone that we know of.

Although the second Allstar raises a question in itself. It was destroyed 3 billion years ago, but Ullaque refereed to it as several galactic civilzations ago, which implies it wasn't long by his standards. So either galactic civilizations are more rare than previously indicated or the Allstar is much much older.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:33 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 366
"The All-Star was created to protect the non-determinancy and agency of sapience." The question is obviously: Whose sapience?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Land of the webbed feet
And, of course, this All-Star could be the backup copy left behind when a previous All-Star left the galaxy . . .

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:49 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
Arcanestomper wrote:
Given that they tried to upload a galactic civilization, although it went poorly, and that their real fight is with entropy. I figured they wanted to stick around and monitor every galactic civilization. For selfish reasons in case those galactic civilizations figured something out, and altruistic ones to preserve the occasional civilization that looked like it would be willing to upload.

The point is they aren't trying to hide from mortal enemies. They're trying to fight the physical laws of the universe. And just leaving the galaxy wouldn't help with that at all.

Also I think the booby trap argument is taking too much from Ennesby's plan. We've seen absolutely no indication from the allstar side that they want to kill everyone. They might not all be as benevolent as Ullaque, but we haven't seen anything contradicting his stance. Even the infiltrators haven't actually killed anyone that we know of.

Although the second Allstar raises a question in itself. It was destroyed 3 billion years ago, but Ullaque refereed to it as several galactic civilzations ago, which implies it wasn't long by his standards. So either galactic civilizations are more rare than previously indicated or the Allstar is much much older.


But they could do that from outside the galaxy. Send probes into the galaxy to listen, send out feelers to civilizations that may be open to uploading. But instead, they remain parked in the middle of a galaxy that they're trying to hide from. It only makes sense if they WANT to be found, because otherwise, they are doing a TERRIBLE job of hiding.

They're doing the equivalent of pretending to be a lamp by standing still with a lampshade on their head. Yeah it'll work if nobody expects anything there and isn't paying attention, but if anybody is, *they're going to be found fairly quickly*.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline
Janitor
Janitor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2237
Krennson wrote:
6. Deep Intergalactic space is ruled entirely by the DAME's, who like to eat any Stars or Planets departing the Galaxy. especially inhabited ones.

Ye Olde "And here there Be Dragons" option. Unlikely but always interesting.



FreeFlier wrote:
And, of course, this All-Star could be the backup copy left behind when a previous All-Star left the galaxy . . .

A back-up which of course knows nothing of the one that left. So of course immediately starts making another All-Star to send out of the galaxy to protect it...



Kendrakirai wrote:
They're doing the equivalent of pretending to be a lamp by standing still with a lampshade on their head. Yeah it'll work if nobody expects anything there and isn't paying attention, but if anybody is, *they're going to be found fairly quickly*.

More like "pretending to be another piece of hay in the haystack" instead of that "piece of hay way over there alone".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:02 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 340
evileeyore wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:
And, of course, this All-Star could be the backup copy left behind when a previous All-Star left the galaxy . . .

A back-up which of course knows nothing of the one that left. So of course immediately starts making another All-Star to send out of the galaxy to protect it...

Hey, you have to keep knowledge of the All-Star secret, so you can't let the other one know about the first one.

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:07 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 516
Kendrakirai wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
The most pertinent answer would probably be, it'd probably be too easy to spot and pop OUTSIDE the galaxy by someone with long guns attached to a galactic core generator.


And I ask you a question: who would be wanting to pop them if they have NO IDEA ANYTHING INTERESTING IS THERE?

You're assuming somebody would see this thing, assuming anybody ever even DID see it, outside of the galaxy and go 'Durr imma SHOOT IT'.
Anyone with a big enough telescope will see it. At that point, anyone who sees it will realise "wow, since things tend to move together normally due to gravity this is probably sign of intelligent life"

And then if it's a hostile civilization with long guns, the next step is "Intelligent life?! durr imma SHOOT IT"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:32 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
Reaver225 wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
The most pertinent answer would probably be, it'd probably be too easy to spot and pop OUTSIDE the galaxy by someone with long guns attached to a galactic core generator.


And I ask you a question: who would be wanting to pop them if they have NO IDEA ANYTHING INTERESTING IS THERE?

You're assuming somebody would see this thing, assuming anybody ever even DID see it, outside of the galaxy and go 'Durr imma SHOOT IT'.
Anyone with a big enough telescope will see it. At that point, anyone who sees it will realise "wow, since things tend to move together normally due to gravity this is probably sign of intelligent life"

And then if it's a hostile civilization with long guns, the next step is "Intelligent life?! durr imma SHOOT IT"



What's 'together'? It's just a piece of random detritus that was flung from its galactic orbit somehow. There are rogue stars and planets all over the place. And its a fully encapsulated star. They discovered it because it was radiating only in infrared.

Hell, if they went the 'Teraport the damn thing' route they could blip away every couple million years or so to the other side of the galactic outskirts, then move conventionally. They'd be gone by the time any light reached anyone, and it'd be far, far too late for anyone to track their Teraport. (if it were possible to do so over time, it'd be possible to find ANYBODY so long as you could pin down their signature, and Petey's triple jump of Oisri would have been completely pointless.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:11 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 366
Quote:
Hell, if they went the 'Teraport the damn thing' route they could blip away every couple million years or so to the other side of the galactic outskirts, then move conventionally. They'd be gone by the time any light reached anyone, and it'd be far, far too late for anyone to track their Teraport. (if it were possible to do so over time, it'd be possible to find ANYBODY so long as you could pin down their signature, and Petey's triple jump of Oisri would have been completely pointless.
We still don't know how much energy they have available. Petey's triple-Oisri-jump almost broke the core generator, so teraporting a sun seems... somewhat unlikely at least.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 733
Kendrakirai wrote:
WHY?

Well, from the science side, they stayed in the Milky Way because that's where the energy is.

Out in the void, there's nothing to work with--no energy, no building material, no gravity. OK, there is some there, but it's a whole lot less dense than it is within a galaxy. In the Milky Way, they've reduced their energy emissions to zero or near-zero (regardless of the physics needed to do that, they did it somehow), so they're far less likely to be detected unless someone gets lucky.

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:42 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 672
I can't believe I get to break this old saw out for once...

Terraports are not Star Trek transporters. A terraport shell has to go with you.

While a terraport shell can reach some unspecified distance around itself, there's obviously a range limit. Stars are big. Even small stars are big. Stars are also hot. To terraport a star, you would have to insert terraport shells into the star. You would have to FILL the star with shells. That can somehow survive the conditions. Warships can't do that, even with their oversized annie plants, correct? We've heard of a mercenary fleet that died by flying into a star.

So you'd need an enormous volume of material to fill the star with shells (Remember, surface area goes up with the square of radius, volume goes up with the cube) and all that material would have to be actively resisting a hellish inferno that can destroy warships. Even for a group that can build stellar enclosures, that's problematic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:16 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 366
Judging by the schematic here, the All-Star's enclosure is already very, very big. And while Stukka's Stormtroopers serve as a warning (and warming) example for the current galactic civilization, we still do not know whether that whole "no flying into stars" thing is a hard limit that can't be overcome with a few billions of years of science and engineering. It's not like we've seen many Dyson Spheres either, but the F'Sherl'Ganni and the All-Star both pulled it off. Then there's the matter of teraport cages. We know that the principle remains feasible up to at least 8 km diameter. Could you build a teraport cage around your stellar enclosure? Only Howard knows (and probably not even him).
The one limit we've seen alluded to so far is that it takes a lot of energy to teraport something starting with a certain (planetary) size. The rest is so far past usual Schlock dimensions that we can basically make up our answers as the plot demands.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
Cifer wrote:
Quote:
Hell, if they went the 'Teraport the damn thing' route they could blip away every couple million years or so to the other side of the galactic outskirts, then move conventionally. They'd be gone by the time any light reached anyone, and it'd be far, far too late for anyone to track their Teraport. (if it were possible to do so over time, it'd be possible to find ANYBODY so long as you could pin down their signature, and Petey's triple jump of Oisri would have been completely pointless.
We still don't know how much energy they have available. Petey's triple-Oisri-jump almost broke the core generator, so teraporting a sun seems... somewhat unlikely at least.


Oisri's triple jump was over the course of MINUTES rather than charging for a few million years between jumps, AS WELL as Teraporting through who even KNOWS how many overlapping TADs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:18 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
Cifer wrote:
Judging by the schematic here, the All-Star's enclosure is already very, very big. And while Stukka's Stormtroopers serve as a warning (and warming) example for the current galactic civilization, we still do not know whether that whole "no flying into stars" thing is a hard limit that can't be overcome with a few billions of years of science and engineering. It's not like we've seen many Dyson Spheres either, but the F'Sherl'Ganni and the All-Star both pulled it off. Then there's the matter of teraport cages. We know that the principle remains feasible up to at least 8 km diameter. Could you build a teraport cage around your stellar enclosure? Only Howard knows (and probably not even him).
The one limit we've seen alluded to so far is that it takes a lot of energy to teraport something starting with a certain (planetary) size. The rest is so far past usual Schlock dimensions that we can basically make up our answers as the plot demands.



Just remember to adjust your energy requirements for Teraporting by the fact Petey moved Oisri through a BUNCH of hostile TAD, a feat quite appears to increase requirements exponentially.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:00 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:32 pm
Posts: 144
Reaver225 wrote:
Anyone with a big enough telescope will see it.


How does one see an object whose surface temperature is within spitting distance of absolute zero at interstellar distances through a telescope? I mean, if you're looking very very hard, and get very very lucky, you just might catch it occluding something that actually radiates... but space being mostly a whole lot of emptiness, chances are that you won't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 340
During the "cut the milky way out of the universe" arc (time clone), wasn't the way that teraporting worked explained? If I remember correctly, you have a "big bubble" inside the milky way, another "big bubble" in Andromeda, and only thin wisps connecting them, with the general void between galaxies not having any "terraport space" (sorry, I do not remember the actual terms used).

The point being, it was fairly cheap and easy to terraport inside the galaxy, more difficult to terraport across galaxies, and impossible to do it in the void between galaxies.

Now, I don't know how dense the local group is, nor what the spiderweb-like connections are. But it's very likely that trying to get outside of the galaxy means "No terraporting, only active thrust".

Suddenly, you are talking about the Puppeteers moving their star and planets, under acceleration, with a planet-sized object (or in this case, a stellar enclosure-sized object) at a significant portion of the speed of light dealing with hydrogen gas hitting you at a significant portion of the speed of light. I think we call that high-energy gamma radiation.

Plus, the acceleration will show up on long term telescope views of the same area of the sky. Someone will spot that.

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:17 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 516
Barmaglot wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
Anyone with a big enough telescope will see it.


How does one see an object whose surface temperature is within spitting distance of absolute zero at interstellar distances through a telescope? I mean, if you're looking very very hard, and get very very lucky, you just might catch it occluding something that actually radiates... but space being mostly a whole lot of emptiness, chances are that you won't.
Yeah, after thinking about it, it's not too hard to keep it hidden, or at least untargetable. There's probably a better reason, then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 am
Posts: 366
Kendrakirai wrote:
Cifer wrote:
Judging by the schematic here, the All-Star's enclosure is already very, very big. And while Stukka's Stormtroopers serve as a warning (and warming) example for the current galactic civilization, we still do not know whether that whole "no flying into stars" thing is a hard limit that can't be overcome with a few billions of years of science and engineering. It's not like we've seen many Dyson Spheres either, but the F'Sherl'Ganni and the All-Star both pulled it off. Then there's the matter of teraport cages. We know that the principle remains feasible up to at least 8 km diameter. Could you build a teraport cage around your stellar enclosure? Only Howard knows (and probably not even him).
The one limit we've seen alluded to so far is that it takes a lot of energy to teraport something starting with a certain (planetary) size. The rest is so far past usual Schlock dimensions that we can basically make up our answers as the plot demands.



Just remember to adjust your energy requirements for Teraporting by the fact Petey moved Oisri through a BUNCH of hostile TAD, a feat quite appears to increase requirements exponentially.

Didn't he disable pretty much all enemy combatants for just that reason beforehand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:47 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 144
Leaving the galaxy means you're out of reach of teraport functions. Why would they need that? To keep feeding their star dispersed hydrogen from elsewhere in the galaxy, ensuring a far longer lifespan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:17 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:35 pm
Posts: 238
ExenTrik wrote:
Leaving the galaxy means you're out of reach of teraport functions. Why would they need that? To keep feeding their star dispersed hydrogen from elsewhere in the galaxy, ensuring a far longer lifespan.

Its a red dwarf, they burn slowly and efficiently with lifespans of anything up to trillions of years


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
keybounce wrote:
During the "cut the milky way out of the universe" arc (time clone), wasn't the way that teraporting worked explained? If I remember correctly, you have a "big bubble" inside the milky way, another "big bubble" in Andromeda, and only thin wisps connecting them, with the general void between galaxies not having any "terraport space" (sorry, I do not remember the actual terms used).

The point being, it was fairly cheap and easy to terraport inside the galaxy, more difficult to terraport across galaxies, and impossible to do it in the void between galaxies.

Now, I don't know how dense the local group is, nor what the spiderweb-like connections are. But it's very likely that trying to get outside of the galaxy means "No terraporting, only active thrust".

Suddenly, you are talking about the Puppeteers moving their star and planets, under acceleration, with a planet-sized object (or in this case, a stellar enclosure-sized object) at a significant portion of the speed of light dealing with hydrogen gas hitting you at a significant portion of the speed of light. I think we call that high-energy gamma radiation.

Plus, the acceleration will show up on long term telescope views of the same area of the sky. Someone will spot that.


There's got to be an edge of the teraportable space. Just go to the very outskirts of that area. And what planets? No planets were mentioned in the All-Star's system, and even if there were....leave 'em behind. What's a few more rogue planets in the galaxy? Even if somebody bothered to track them back to a source point all they'd find is a missing star. Which they already knew we're getting 'inhaled' during that a previous cycle.

As for the radiation from dust hitting you....that's what grav shields are for. You push the interstellar debris and hydrogen etc. aside. If you're good, you put it back after you pass.

There's many ways to leave the galaxy, both with and without the stellar enclosure intact, yet they used none of them and just remained parked for at least three billion years. I want to know WHY.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:16 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 362
Grashtel wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
Leaving the galaxy means you're out of reach of teraport functions. Why would they need that? To keep feeding their star dispersed hydrogen from elsewhere in the galaxy, ensuring a far longer lifespan.

Its a red dwarf, they burn slowly and efficiently with lifespans of anything up to trillions of years


Indeed. The All-Stars battery has a theoretical lifespan of longer than the universe has existed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:56 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 144
Grashtel wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
Leaving the galaxy means you're out of reach of teraport functions. Why would they need that? To keep feeding their star dispersed hydrogen from elsewhere in the galaxy, ensuring a far longer lifespan.

Its a red dwarf, they burn slowly and efficiently with lifespans of anything up to trillions of years

Do you really think that the sworn enemies of entropy would look at some number, any number and declare "that's good enough"?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group