The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:11 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Interesting. So is this the problem with probability manifolds? Once they get too much data they become super fatalistic, because as far as they are concerned there's only one possible outcome to anything?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:31 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
Interesting. So is this the problem with probability manifolds? Once they get too much data they become super fatalistic, because as far as they are concerned there's only one possible outcome to anything?

I think it's more for the "punchline of the day" than indicative of a problem.

Admittedly, we have only seen one case (now two with Ewin, but we don't know what zhe is capable of), and only limited explanation of what Archie can do, but Archie seems to be a damaged instance rather than a "typical" probability manifold.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

Admittedly, we have only seen one case (now two with Ewin, but we don't know what zhe is capable of), and only limited explanation of what Archie can do, but Archie seems to be a damaged instance rather than a "typical" probability manifold.

When did we start refferring to "The Archive who failed to pass on without revealing any of his terrible secrets" as 'Archie'?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Krennson wrote:
When did we start refferring to "The Archive who failed to pass on without revealing any of his terrible secrets" as 'Archie'?

Oh, I have no idea what the Archive's name is, but ... Archive, Archie. Close enough. ;)

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:11 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Black Sheep wrote:
Krennson wrote:

Oh, I have no idea what the Archive's name is, but ... Archive, Archie. Close enough. ;)

I'm down with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Black Sheep wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

Maybe, but looking back to the quantum physics "too much observation" thing, it sounds like Archie might think that it's gotten far too much data and thus needs to die. Seems like a plausible problem for a system that just chugs data and gives you predictions. Only time will tell though.

Also of note is that Evverness - the BIG version of Evvy - seems to have a bit of a god complex. Assuming it's the AllStar's main probability manifold... perhaps knowing the future isn't great for your stability.

Krennson wrote:

Now, I think. It's too apt NOT to use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

But will that mean that we'll see Veronica soon?

(ducks)