The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Epileptic Trees. You either love them or hate them...

Mine:

IntAffInt either works for or with Petey. This could mean LOTA was suborned by IntAffInt and only thinks LOTA is the one "check" to Petey's meglomanic power...

And yes, that is an unshielded TVTropes link. It's to weed out the weak.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:57 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The existing Schlock Mercenary Wild Mass Guessing page already serves this purpose, really...I guess we could discuss some of those ideas? I really like the one about who's really working for Int-Aff-Int.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:

Mine:

IntAffInt either works for or with Petey. This could mean LOTA was suborned by IntAffInt and only thinks LOTA is the one "check" to Petey's meglomanic power...

And yes, that is an unshielded TVTropes link. It's to weed out the weak.

I clicked your link and read ONLY the article on epileptic trees. I feel so proud. :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:

Over on somethingawful, the same phenomena is named for something else truly retarded from the same show. "Shannon was stabbed". The tinfoil lunatics decided her bullet entry wound looked more like a knife wound and that (insert random character here) did it when the camera wasn't looking.

I think at one point the dog was accused of doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Since I think everyone else is out camping in the Epileptic Forest preserve, I figure I ought to join the party and plant my wildest shaky seed...

Putzho's mission is not directly connected to the current bruhaha at Urtheep.

Putzho knows where all the All Star's are located and his mission (whether directly given to him or not) is to spread the information far and wide, thus forcing the All-Stars to rejoin the greater galaxy.

Evidence:
Putzho certainly knows where one All-Star is located.
Putzho made research copies of himself.
Putzho was given The Library Card.
Not all the All-Star members think alike.
Ulaque knows what is going on outside.

Conjecture:
This includes knowing about Petey, another massively parallel AI that is trying to 'save everyone".
Ulaque "sent" Putzho out expecting him to go "off the reservation" the first chance he gets and broadcast.

Possible other theories:
Putzho's mission is to destroy Osiri before Petey can use to breed more enslaved Pa'anuri. It's possible the current war Petey is waging with them could be a mere brushfire should the entire Pa'anuri 'race' find out more of themselves are being made with the sole purpose of being energy slaves to yet another baryonic master.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
Since I think everyone else is out camping in the Epileptic Forest preserve, I figure I ought to join the party and plant my wildest shaky seed...

Putzho's mission is not directly connected to the current bruhaha at Urtheep.

Putzho knows where all the All Star's are located and his mission (whether directly given to him or not) is to spread the information far and wide, thus forcing the All-Stars to rejoin the greater galaxy.

Evidence:
Putzho certainly knows where one All-Star is located.
Putzho made research copies of himself.
Putzho was given The Library Card.
Not all the All-Star members think alike.
Ulaque knows what is going on outside.

Conjecture:
This includes knowing about Petey, another massively parallel AI that is trying to 'save everyone".
Ulaque "sent" Putzho out expecting him to go "off the reservation" the first chance he gets and broadcast.

This... seems suspiciously possible. And Putzho could spread the location, and still interdict the All-Star's team. In fact, broadcasting the location could be part of how he interdicts.
*shakes trees vigorously*
evileeyore wrote:
Possible other theories:
Putzho's mission is to destroy Osiri before Petey can use to breed more enslaved Pa'anuri. It's possible the current war Petey is waging with them could be a mere brushfire should the entire Pa'anuri 'race' find out more of themselves are being made with the sole purpose of being energy slaves to yet another baryonic master.
This seems a lot less likely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:01 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Motortiki wrote:
This... seems suspiciously possible. And Putzho could spread the location, and still interdict the All-Star's team. In fact, broadcasting the location could be part of how he interdicts.
*shakes trees vigorously*

Further Conjecture:
Putzho was shown there were more than one All-Star.
Putzho had The Library Card.
Putzho had researching agents.
Putzho knows where all the All-Stars are.

Quote:
evileeyore wrote:
Possible other theories:
This seems a lot less likely.

Agreed. But I still strongly suspect that Putzho's mission is not intended to directly intersect with the Maxim 27 occurring on the Urtheep docks... but I couldn't come up with anything else that was even remotely likely.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:31 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Every time galactic civilization offs itself, the people of the All-Star are the ones that cleans up the mess and turns the lights out. It wouldn't do for new civilization to find or reverse engineer end guns right away, after all. They also upload whatever stragglers may still remain alive. Maybe they'll help arrange for a few planets to be more sapient life friendly down the road, or rearrange solar systems here and there.

The Archive not only is aware of this, but hates them for it. Cowards helping to perpetuate the cycle, it thinks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

That would invalidate the Archive's point up to now. Its conversations with Petey have indicated that every single civilization up until now has died and that there is no chance for survival, thus everyone should just die and get it over with. If it knows about the Allstar then clearly at least one civilization has survived, meaning that there is a chance and it's been lying to Petey. Which isn't impossible of course, but when your archive starts lying to you it becomes much less useful.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
That would invalidate the Archive's point up to now. Its conversations with Petey have indicated that every single civilization up until now has died and that there is no chance for survival, thus everyone should just die and get it over with. If it knows about the Allstar then clearly at least one civilization has survived, meaning that there is a chance and it's been lying to Petey. Which isn't impossible of course, but when your archive starts lying to you it becomes much less useful.

Two things: "Everyone should just die" doesn't disagree with what I was saying at all, and it's questionable to consider the All-Star any kind of surviving civilization. It's more of a perverse attempt at an afterlife and in the end is only a mess of AI. Anyways just because we didn't see it doesn't mean the Archive hasn't mentioned it to him.

We'll find out soon enough in any case.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:15 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

It certainly is a civilization. It's got sapient citizens, more than the entire rest of the galaxy. It's got its own culture. It's got physical infrastructure and a technological basis. Whether it's the path you want your civilization to take is debatable, but denying it's status as a civilization is too much of a stretch. A civilization doesn't need to be biological.

Now admittedly I was thinking of this strip where the archive said "Many civilizations have taken this path, Petey. All of them died." So its possible that it did know of the allstar and thought of it as being on a different path. But honestly I doubt it. The allstar went to a lot of trouble to keep itself hidden. And as an digital entity itself I don't think the archive would have been biased against regarding the allstar as a viable civilization.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:44 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

ExenTrik wrote:
It's more of a perverse attempt at an afterlife and in the end is only a mess of AI.

"Only a mess of AI"?

Well when the mechanoids come and uplift the earth humans to proper digital lifeforms I know one ex-meatbag I won't be inviting to the afterparty!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:41 pm 
Intern
Intern

I'd go to that afterparty, if invited. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:31 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
ExenTrik wrote:
It's more of a perverse attempt at an afterlife and in the end is only a mess of AI.

"Only a mess of AI"?

Well when the mechanoids come and uplift the earth humans to proper digital lifeforms I know one ex-meatbag I won't be inviting to the afterparty!

Cute, but I was trying to give the perspective of what the Archive sees. He hasn't had much chance to perceive the inhabitants of the All-Star as people, and might consider any representation of them as individuals as simply lies. Could be some sort of AI Borg or Brainac wearing an individuality mask. We only know of one instance of them actually talking directly to people and who knows how those events looked to him to begin with. And this is assuming he doesn't just have an unfair opinion of their nature.

I'm definitely wrong on one point though: we won't know soon enough. Damn cutaways from vitally important conversations.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Is it possible that Archie just doesn't know about Ulaque and company?

Also, for the idea of AI lifeforms as society: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/62074/ ... is-optimal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:45 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

We've seen no evidence that the Archive knows about the Allstar. It's pure speculation, which is why it's in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
We've seen no evidence that the Archive knows about the Allstar. It's pure speculation, which is why it's in this thread.

My theory was about the All-Star being the reason that galactic civilizations find little to no traces of the previous one. Everything else follows that. It's hard to say what he knows about them, but my preposition seems to make that obvious. However we don't know how the Archive observes or what he notices, it's entirely possible he could have missed it's influence entirely except for the one time they set off galactic omniwar and then "died". If he observes mostly via hypernode relay spying anything really secret might be missed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:19 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

ExenTrik wrote:
However we don't know how the Archive observes or what he notices

We do have the suggestion that Archie is the compiled memories (and memory-horns) of the F'sherl-Ganni. We don't know that observation actually continues. It's quite possible that Archie holds the information that he currently holds, but cannot gain new information because he's not got a group of F-Gs running around, observing things, then dumping their memories into him.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:00 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
We do have the suggestion that Archie is the compiled memories (and memory-horns) of the F'sherl-Ganni. We don't know that observation actually continues. It's quite possible that Archie holds the information that he currently holds, but cannot gain new information because he's not got a group of F-Gs running around, observing things, then dumping their memories into him.

While he may have compiled their memories, I somewhat doubt that the F'Sheri-Ganni have been around for nearly so many galactic rotations as Archie. They've been around since the last galactic civilization almost certainly. On the other hand communication between them and the All-Star is implied and there are plenty of unknowns at that angle. The idea of their own destruction of data method being so complete that they've been cutting off multiple galactic civilizations worth of their own memory is amusing, I admit.