All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:18 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

So... not exactly Peri's fault then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:17 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

As a bonus we now have confirmation of Peri's gender.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I take it she followed the letter of the law, and notified the powers that be that she violated the intent. I expect this action may still see resistance and consequences for her personally will be significant.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Honestly I think saving 60,000 people makes a certain amount of personal risk a valid sacrifice. If nothing else she probably can get a job with the Toughs after this is over.

Even if that race imprisons her on trumped up charges because one of their politics really didn't like these shenanigans I think the Tough's would break her out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:23 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:
Honestly I think saving 60,000 people makes a certain amount of personal risk a valid sacrifice.

They are already saved. All she might be saving is some time in rezzing them.

Quote:
Even if that race imprisons her on trumped up charges because one of their politics really didn't like these shenanigans I think the Tough's would break her out.

They are a political entity now. More than likely they'll just offer to open immigration to En-Afa and relieve some of the stress this system is facing as a "don't charge Viki with nothin and we'll take your poor huddled masses".

Or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
They are already saved.

Seemingly not--not yet at least. Most of the bodies are still outside where ugly things can happen.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

And as of today, we see what line she crossed. Wonder if they'll need an extraction from the system, but it's probably going to be much more trouble than that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:46 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Yeah, this doesn't seem to be a case of, "They're already as bad they can get so it's just a matter of time." Something is a threat to the continued survival of those 60,000 people.

Honestly I thought I was being a bit out there when I said she might be imprisoned, but given the way the captain is reacting it might be that or worse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Seemingly not--not yet at least. Most of the bodies are still outside where ugly things can happen.[/quote]
Considering how the importance of getting them inside quickly was stressed, i suspect they either been rounded up, or at least covered some how.

If they haven't, then that certainly explains the Politicos expediting a contract to the Toughs despite it being against what appears to be some deeply ingrained dislike of outsiders.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:05 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Honestly I thought I was being a bit out there when I said she might be imprisoned, but given the way the captain is reacting it might be that or worse.

Something like exile perhaps.

"You violated our norms, and saved a lot of people. Thank you, now get out."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:00 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

So what it seems like to me is that "hey sure, you can come in and work for us, but we get to decide if we call anybody to help us save you if there's a disaster - IE, if you're worth saving."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:49 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Yeah, this doesn't seem to be a case of, "They're already as bad they can get so it's just a matter of time." Something is a threat to the continued survival of those 60,000 people.

I don't get current situation really. We are told that it takes a while to revive casualties, but that doesn't in any way prevent them from being stored pretty much indefinitely.

Kendrakirai wrote:
So what it seems like to me is that "hey sure, you can come in and work for us, but we get to decide if we call anybody to help us save you if there's a disaster - IE, if you're worth saving."

Other half of casualties are non-outsider citizens. So far it appears to be an extreme protectiveness of sovereignty. Imperialistic political entities love sending in military forces to assist to never recall them afterwards.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:03 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Mech wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
Yeah, this doesn't seem to be a case of, "They're already as bad they can get so it's just a matter of time." [i]Something is a threat to the continued survival of those 60,000 people.

I don't get current situation really. We are told that it takes a while to revive casualties, but that doesn't in any way prevent them from being stored pretty much indefinitely.

There are 60,000 bodies out there, floating in space. That is a lot of people to store, and the place where they would normally store those bodies blew up. Even worse, the people who would do the storing, or building of new structures, are among that 60,000.

Basically, they're caught in a horrible bootstrapping situation: they need a workforce to store and revive their workforce.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
There are 60,000 bodies out there, floating in space. That is a lot of people to store, and the place where they would normally store those bodies blew up. Even worse, the people who would do the storing, or building of new structures, are among that 60,000.

Basically, they're caught in a horrible bootstrapping situation: they need a workforce to store and revive their workforce.

Fire up ship gravy and tractor all the bodies to the hull, like satellites of Earth's ring. After you got most of them, teraport into deep space, where there is no risk of local star frying them (and scoop remaining remains manually).

They don't need to be stored inside, just in nice cold place where there is no risk of nanites decomposing. Void between stars should suffice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:41 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

M[i]ech wrote:
Motortiki wrote:

Fire up ship gravy and tractor all the bodies to the hull, like satellites of Earth's ring. After you got most of them, teraport into deep space, where there is no risk of local star frying them (and scoop remaining remains manually).

They don't need to be stored inside, just in nice cold place where there is no risk of nanites decomposing. Void between stars should suffice.

The biggest risk of radiation isn't from stars, it's from cosmic rays. Star radiation would be easy to deal with, just fab a reflective sheet, then wrap them all.