The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:14 pm 
Intern
Intern

Methinks that they are in it to fight for the rights of the resurrected.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

And , cue "Poking -their-nose-in where-it-aint-wanted" Number 1005.....
Yes
But For the Children!

No surprise not everyone buys this let's all be immortal stuff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:

I suspect that Resurrection as such isn't the problem here: it's the PEOPLE who are going to be resurrected that the locals object too.

My current favorite theory is the refinery in question was either staffed heavily by "foreigners", used to advance "Foreign" goals, like industrial reform, or both. And that the initial explosion was an act of sabotage to protest all these "foreign" ways.

Naturally, the sort of people who enjoy blowing up interloper refineries aren't going to be terribly happy to watch the interloper founders of interloped nanite technology arrive in interloping warships which will be used to resurrect the original interlopers they just finished killing.

Clearly, any such resurrections must be done instead by honest, god-fearing, humble, protectionist, overpaid small-business asteroid miners who were born and raised in the belt, and will probably refuse to assist in resurrections of "foreigners" as a matter of principle.

I'm leaning towards the theory that "Outer Uuple" looks an awful lot like "Bleeding Kansas" just before the civil war. Or maybe the Wild West, just after.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'm surprised it's taken this long to even insinuate that the initial explosion was sabotage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:53 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Arcanestomper wrote:
I'm surprised it's taken this long to even insinuate that the initial explosion was sabotage.

I was waiting for a bit more evidence... but Krennson sums up my thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:20 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

I was waiting for a bit more evidence... but Krennson sums up my thoughts exactly.

I was willing to give Uuplians benefit of the doubt, assuming that Howard came up with some alien ethics, but it seems they are space version of good old ways we know from earth.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Space is very, very big, but I suspect that with immortality and a long enough timeframe, even a galaxy or two will fill up faster than a bunch of (now themselves immortal) "and STAY out!" types will like.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:36 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

And frankly they're right. In an immortal society even the resources of an entire galaxy are going to become scarce sooner rather than later. Staking out territory for yourself early is just a good idea. Of course they probably aren't taking that long of a view. So they are making a correct choice for the wrong reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

M[i]ech wrote:
I was willing to give Uuplians benefit of the doubt, assuming that Howard came up with some alien ethics, but it seems they are space version of good old ways we know from earth.

I'm still more than willing to be wrong in my opinion though. This could still turn into a twist of some sort.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
And frankly they're right. In an immortal society even the resources of an entire galaxy are going to become scarce sooner rather than later. Staking out territory for yourself early is just a good idea. Of course they probably aren't taking that long of a view. So they are making a correct choice for the wrong reasons.

It sounds like this has been going on for MUCH longer than effective immortality has been a thing. Possibly since they got their Wormgate, so it's clearly less "these are our resources" and more "filthy ferriners keep out!"

Not greed but xenophobia.

(EDIT: also, obligatory chant of "The Greater Good")

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:12 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Krennson wrote:
grahamf wrote:

I suspect that Resurrection as such isn't the problem here: it's the PEOPLE who are going to be resurrected that the locals object too.

My current favorite theory is the refinery in question was either staffed heavily by "foreigners", used to advance "Foreign" goals, like industrial reform, or both. And that the initial explosion was an act of sabotage to protest all these "foreign" ways.

Naturally, the sort of people who enjoy blowing up interloper refineries aren't going to be terribly happy to watch the interloper founders of interloped nanite technology arrive in interloping warships which will be used to resurrect the original interlopers they just finished killing.

Clearly, any such resurrections must be done instead by honest, god-fearing, humble, protectionist, overpaid small-business asteroid miners who were born and raised in the belt, and will probably refuse to assist in resurrections of "foreigners" as a matter of principle.

I'm leaning towards the theory that "Outer Uuple" looks an awful lot like "Bleeding Kansas" just before the civil war. Or maybe the Wild West, just after.

Actually, it doesn't have to be anything that mean or lopsided.

Look at our own history. If Puertorican's could have done something to get rid of the pharmacutical companies before they basically used tax laws to drain the island's economy, would they have done so? Heck, if the islanders in the middle of the other ocean could have kept people away?

Sure, it looks like there are foreign influences getting large populations in here, and maybe that was the cause of the kabloom. Maybe this is the local equivalent of USA vs Spain fought in this boonie, or USA vs Russia fought in those boonies. And the boonies are basically saying "We don't want to be fought over".

We need to know what's up with the foreigners before we really understand the "Locals first!" group.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 pm 
Intern
Intern

The opposition to the resurrection could be by Mortalists. As in "once you're dead, you STAY dead!" and "mere mortals don't DESERVE immortality/immortality is UNNATURAL/immortals will deplete the cosmic commons/insert reason here". They could have committed the original sabotage as a protest against the immortality trend and will naturally resist any attempts to revive the dead.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:34 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Kendrakirai wrote:

"For The Greater Good" always get's my attention. It's so exciting to it in action!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:30 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Kendrakirai wrote:

"For The Greater Good" always get's my attention. It's so exciting to it in action!

http://youtu.be/WA5uEYqpZPw