The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:49 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

"We're not going to fire you for dressing nicely". So they did recognize a special outfit as a special outfit. And, there are more of these briefings with officers.

Conclusion: Success.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:34 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I can't imagine she's in line for promotion for just walking into battle naked or taking a phone call. She must have impressed them more off panel. Or maybe they try and promote anyone who makes the effort.

But in game mechanics, she got named and promoted via the ablative meat route.

Edit: I forgot probably the most important aspect: Fobott'r team building is very effective, and that can only be improved by putting one in charge of their unit. She'd just need to be the most leadership worthy of the group, then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Being the one person who is likely their only connection to "why we are going and how we got this contract" she is likely to end up in the liaison position, thus more briefings. hopefully with her proper uniform.

Though... I think we've officially now crossed into no longer a "family friendly' comic. Howard drew a woman running around naked! Risque!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Well technically Schlock has been naked the entire time. And his species doesn't really have genders. So effectively this line has already been crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Being the one person who is likely their only connection to "why we are going and how we got this contract" she is likely to end up in the liaison position, thus more briefings. hopefully with her proper uniform.

Quite strange contract, though, since they are not supposed to get any money.
I honestly don't understand their motivation any more. I mean, I do understand working despite not having to, being good at something and psychological validation proving so brings has that kind of impact on people, but now they are suddenly switching to doing voluntary unpaid work? >>Mercenaries<< are doing something pro publico bono (anyone remembers Kaff's reaction last time "pro bono" words showed up, used by Massey)? What exactly is going on here? How do they expect to profit or benefit from this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:45 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Do remember that the Toughs haven't had to work for money for a while. Each of them, individually, is richer than various interplanetary civilizations. These days they're doing stuff because they want to rather than because they're paid to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The thing I take minor issue with is Andy's "they take me for granted" line last week. No, they really don't. Andy isn't in line for a promotion to team leader or anything like that because he's not smart enough to be in command. He's a grunt through and through.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 pm 
Intern
Intern

Kendrakirai wrote:
The thing I take minor issue with is Andy's "they take me for granted" line last week. No, they really don't. Andy isn't in line for a promotion to team leader or anything like that because he's not smart enough to be in command. He's a grunt through and through.

He had to have "you're stressed because you're bald" spelled out to him despite that being something I believe would be very well known about his species, and the very reason for the symbiotic relationship with the crest organism.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf wrote:
He had to have "you're stressed because you're bald" spelled out to him despite that being something I believe would be very well known about his species, and the very reason for the symbiotic relationship with the crest organism.

There are many humans who have no idea how their pancreas works. Or think being obese is healthy. Do not discount the stupidity of other species.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
There are many humans who have no idea how their pancreas works. Or think being obese is healthy. Do not discount the stupidity of other species.
For those receiving a decent education and holding to those beliefs, I really don't think those sorts of humans are officer material, either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Reaver225 wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
For those receiving a decent education and holding to those beliefs, I really don't think those sorts of humans are officer material, either.

You'd... you'd be surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Though... I think we've officially now crossed into no longer a "family friendly' comic. Howard drew a woman running around naked! Risque!

You weren't around for The Sharp End of the Stick, then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:12 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Nemoricus wrote:
evileeyore wrote:

You weren't around for The Sharp End of the Stick, then.

I'd forgotten about that. But on my defense Elf was always coincidentally covered. We practically get full-frontal Peri... which I'm sure is very titillating for the Forbotr readers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:46 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:

When you're stressed and depressed, you tend to forget the obvious reasons and just panic. Been there, and so has Howard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:06 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Random Wanderer wrote:
Do remember that the Toughs haven't had to work for money for a while. Each of them, individually, is richer than various interplanetary civilizations. These days they're doing stuff because they want to rather than because they're paid to.

My point might have been unclear, but after becoming rich, they still took money on previous contracts. In fact, size of the bid was what caught attention of both Thurl and Karl: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-01-12 and http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-01-13. Now they suddenly stop caring about money. It makes no sense. They either should have stopped 2 or 3 jobs ago (not sure when exactly they became rich), or not at all. Why now, of all times?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:31 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Mech wrote:
Random Wanderer wrote:

My point might have been unclear, but after becoming rich, they still took money on previous contracts. In fact, size of the bid was what caught attention of both Thurl and Karl: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-01-12 and http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-01-13. Now they suddenly stop caring about money. It makes no sense. They either should have stopped 2 or 3 jobs ago (not sure when exactly they became rich), or not at all. Why now, of all times?

Because they still [i]want to get paid for what they do. They just don't need to get paid for what they do. So when the job is to help thousands of people they are willing to do it for free. But someone offering humongous amounts of cash still gets their attention.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Money still exists in the world at large, but they are living in a hab that goes by a reputation based economy. They don't need the money, they do want the rep.

Money is turning into a symbolic thing, really.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:02 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

It seems that they're measuring reputations in money . . . the more money someone is willing to pay for your services, the bigger your reputation.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

rleggett wrote:
Money still exists in the world at large, but they are living in a hab that goes by a reputation based economy. They don't need the money, they do want the rep.

Money is turning into a symbolic thing, really.

Are they? I don't remember there being any reference to it being a reputation based economy. Seems more like a tourist town, and that means they need to accept whatever currency the tourists have than try something experimental.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:51 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

M[i]ech wrote:

I'll try to break it down for you:

1 - By charging for a job they set a bar. That bar says "We are Elite, if you want the Best-of-The-Best-of-The-Best-SIR! doing your job, you will pay for the BoTBoTBS!". This weeds out those not interesting in actually paying what the Toughs now think they are worth. It also weeds out those who might think twice about contracting out their killing for anything but the highest bid.

2 - They are immortal. Money doesn't last for ever, but reputations last a long time. Theirs is a mixed bag. They are also largely led by a pair of 'do-gooders' (Karl and Kaff). So a 'freebie rescue op' has not only 'goodwill reputation boost' written all over it, but it's something Kaff or Karl might consider paying out of pocket to do. Though for Kaff, he'd still rather be getting paid for it... and they might just be. We don't know the terms of the contract.