The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:38 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Let me guess, such table appears in RPG?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I also want to see that table. Also who in their right mind classifies the Breath Weapon as a freighter. I mean it's not even a secret that it's fought in military actions before. The PTU hull alone means it can just ram lesser ships if it had to.

And knowing Kevyn even the Maxim 39 is probably enough to wipe out that entire battlegroup.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:13 am 
Intern
Intern

Also, what could possibly make them believe that a freighter would be named "Breath Weapon"?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:59 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

so - bets on whether this guy and his *snicker* "warship* are going to wind up blown into vapor, compressed into neutronium, or something in-between?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:13 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

StClair wrote:
so - bets on whether this guy and his *snicker* "warship* are going to wind up blown into vapor, compressed into neutronium, or something in-between?

He does seem poorly informed. I'm betting that this "Lord Srabben" was set up by Traffic Control, to be used as an excuse for the military to intervene.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:21 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I think that Shiplord Srabben thinks that only guns that LOOK like guns are guns. That's the only reason he could have for classifying the Certainty as the only real warship - its the only one that actually has a bunch of visible guns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:52 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
Let me guess, such table appears in RPG?

Correct. And that table says that the militia forces are very, very badly outgunned.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:52 am 
Intern
Intern

If you have such massive force superiority, you can probably afford to disable your opponents without actually killing them.

Nemoricus wrote:
Correct. And that table says that the militia forces are very, very badly outgunned.

Can you summarize briefly how badly they are?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

short summary of the classification system, letters go from Z to Q, tiny to big (sub 10m to 1Km) numbers go from 0 to 9 nothing to"MOAR GUNS"

and I assume defense is such on most ships that they can take a hit or two (or interdict) from their own class of weapon

edit: and the description is on page 120 if you have the book

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:35 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Fishman wrote:
If you have such massive force superiority, you can probably afford to disable your opponents without actually killing them.

Nemoricus wrote:

Ridiculously, hilariously outgunned. The Maxim 39 alone has them out-gunned, and Breath Weapon is in a class second only to battleplates and superfortresses.

To put it another way, a weapon rating of 6 is the lowest considered to be a serious threat. The U.P.A are riding with a 5(pirate/privateer) rating , and the Toughs start at a 7("MOAR GUNS").

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:15 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
StClair wrote:

He does seem poorly informed. I'm betting that this "Lord Srabben" was set up by Traffic Control, to be used as an excuse for the military to intervene.

That actually does seem quite likely. If you think about it the militia probably don't have extensive intelligence assets of their own. So he's probably getting all his information from his government contacts. And if they're feeding him bad intel he might actually have good reasons to believe that he's facing an inferior force besides bravado.

So he goes in all arrogant and thinking that anything the Toughs try to tell him is just a bluff. They wipe him out, and the "traffic control" has the excuse they need to make a political incident.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:36 pm 
Intern
Intern

I wonder if any of the ships can do that neat battlepate trick where they override the other ship's gravity fields with their own?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:19 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
I wonder if any of the ships can do that neat battlepate trick where they override the other ship's gravity fields with their own?

My understanding is that every ship can do that. But only ships with annie plants a certain fraction of their own. So battleplates can do it to pretty much anyone, but for everyone else its not very useful.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:02 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
grahamf wrote:

My understanding is that every ship can do that. But only ships with annie plants a certain fraction of their own. So battleplates can do it to pretty much anyone, but for everyone else its not very useful.

We're sorry, that functionality was disabled at a hardware level and cannot be reactivated before the end of this story arc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:58 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Am I the only one that saw those ship classifications, and wondered which ones were football, croquet, and basketball respectively? (Or have I messed up the sports?)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:12 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Motortiki wrote:
Fishman wrote:

Nemoricus wrote:

Ridiculously, hilariously outgunned. The Maxim 39 alone has them out-gunned, and Breath Weapon is in a class second only to battleplates and superfortresses.

To put it another way, a weapon rating of 6 is the lowest considered to be a serious threat. The U.P.A are riding with a 5(pirate/privateer) rating , and the Toughs start at a 7("MOAR GUNS").

In other words, Breath Weapon could probably melt Soulward Honor's deck plates with the equivalent of a stern glare, before it even unlimbers its actual weapons?

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Actually, if memory serves, I may understand why Srabben is so ill-informed. Am I remembering correctly that each of Breath Weapon's boats (the little gold launches) has its own Long Gun? If that's correct, then any news of Breath Weapon's capabilities are so classified that the briefings are "Shoot yourself before reading."

Not to mention, then we go from "Ridiculously outgunned" to "What do you mean you didn't even bring a knife to this gunfight?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:42 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Black Sheep wrote:
Actually, if memory serves, I may understand why Srabben is so ill-informed. Am I remembering correctly that each of Breath Weapon's boats (the little gold launches) has its own Long Gun? If that's correct, then any news of Breath Weapon's capabilities are so classified that the briefings are "Shoot yourself before reading."

Not to mention, then we go from "Ridiculously outgunned" to "What do you mean you didn't even bring a knife to this gunfight?"

We have seen no evidence of the Breath Weapon having long guns of any sort. It was implied that the Neosynchronicity was the lower size limit for long guns, and the boats are somewhat smaller than that ship, so they most likely don't have long guns.

[edit]Though, I suppose if the boats had some way of drawing fuel from the main ship, like maybe teraport cage, they could. We know the Oafans had the technology for it. That would be such a cool weapon. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Motortiki wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:

We have seen no evidence of the Breath Weapon having long guns of any sort. It was implied that the Neosynchronicity was the lower size limit for long guns, and the boats are somewhat smaller than that ship, so they most likely don't have long guns.

[edit]Though, I suppose if the boats had some way of drawing fuel from the main ship, like maybe teraport cage, they could. We know the Oafans had the technology for it. That would be such a cool weapon. :D

For some reason, my brain was saying that the Neosynchronicity was one of BW's ship boats, which may be the source of my confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:00 pm 
Intern
Intern

The Neosynchronicity was an Oafan corvette, a ship class separate from Breath Weapon and larger than one of its boats. Also apparently the smallest class of Oafan warship with a long gun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:43 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Black Sheep wrote:
Motortiki wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:

For some reason, my brain was saying that the Neosynchronicity was one of BW's ship boats, which may be the source of my confusion.

You are forgetting that the whole point behind a long gun is that you don't need to bring it with you. It can be parked in some hidden area 500 light years past the middle of nowhere, so long as you can communicate with it.

A local one would be helpful in the case of jamming though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:51 pm 
Intern
Intern

I wonder if each of those itty bitty tugs is perfectly capable of destroying Srabben? Especially the two new ones with upgraded firepower?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:00 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Well, the old ones have those super-expensive PTU hulls, and could probably wreck his ship just by flying through it a few times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Motortiki wrote:
StClair wrote:

Based on today's comic (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-10-31), it looks like Traffic Control is not setting anybody up. They are THAT disinformed about the Thoughts and this is the best intelligence they have. Perhaps they should invest into purchasing a Vessel Classification Table.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:58 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Zeus67 wrote:
Motortiki wrote:
StClair wrote:

Based on today's comic (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-10-31), it looks like Traffic Control is not setting anybody up. They are THAT disinformed about the Thoughts and this is the best intelligence they have. Perhaps they should invest into purchasing a Vessel Classification Table.

That's not Traffic Control, that's the captain of the ship that is running the recovery operation. He might not be in the know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:14 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I think we may be about to witness something like the classic scenario where the Corrupt Hick Sheriff (and his brother-in-law the local judge, and their little gang of bully-boys) who runs the town as his personal fiefdom tries his usual shakedown on the drifter(s) passing through... and they turn out to be something way, way out of his league, like a couple of Navy SEALs on leave, or the Incredible Hulk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

macnut wrote:
The Neosynchronicity was an Oafan corvette, a ship class separate from Breath Weapon and larger than one of its boats. Also apparently the smallest class of Oafan warship with a long gun.

Thanks for the correction--I'd say my memory isn't what it used to be, but in honesty it never was. :)