The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:21 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

There are a lot of things going on in the current book:

1. An Uuplechan ship suffers catastrophic annie failure which leaves 60,000 casualties.
2. The Uuplechan do not have the resources to rescue and recover all 60,000 before hard radiation kills them for good.
3. The Uuplechan are a bunch of xenophobs that do not like outsiders. They only grudgingly accept people from other species only because they need the specialized knowledge they have.
4. The doctor in charge, who is not Uuplechan, invokes an obscure emergency clause to get external help.
5. The Uuplechans are not happy and decide to kill the external help and probably execute the doctor when all the casualties have been rescued (hinted ).

And here comes the mistery part:

Instead of using the Uuplechan navy, if it exists, they decide to use a local militia: The Uuplechan Patriot Armada.
Interestingly enough the man in charge of the UPA looks like he is competent although criminally uninformed, to the point that he truly believes that his colletion of armed ships pose any threat to any kind of warship. much less to the Toughs task force which consists of ships so powerful that they probably can give an UNS battleplate trouble if they decide to engage it. And yet Shiplord Srabben is completely unaware of this fact. Even if he is idiotic enough not to know, I am quite sure that he has under his command people who can read the Planet Mercenary classification system and warn him.

The Vice-Armador of Outer Uuplech Traffic Control has a vested interest for the UPA to win this engagement and yet they are also unaware that the UPA is nothing but a paper tiger.

We all have been talking about an ambush and that the UPA is being played around, perhaps by Traffic Control. But I am not convinced of this.

This comic tells me that everybody in Traffic Control is completely unaware of how powerful the Toughs task force is. They were making sure that Dr. Gugro did not warn the Toughs about the welcoming committee.
The next comic says that the plan has changed. The Thoughts are going to be arrested by the Uuple Patrol Group for firing on the UPA. The UPA's survival at this time is unimportant. At this time we don't know how strong is the Uuple Patrol Group, but I suspect that they are not strong enough to handle the Toughs task force. I am also sure that Traffic Control is still underestimating the Toughs firepower.

And then we have these two comics: this and this.

Now my suspicion is as follows:

Petey by now is very much aware of the problem about galactic civilizations dying on a regular basis and he is trying to break the cycle. He is also made aware of the mega war that happened when the Onestar offered immortality to everybody. So he and Chinook are trying to fix both problems. I suspect that Chinook had one of her long guns target and destroy that Uuple ship's annie plant and I suspect that Petey is preventing the Outer Uuple Traffic Control from gathering effective information about the Toughs.

My guess is that this is one of Petey's tests to see if he can make people, the Uuplechans in this case, to change their way to see things into something more inclusive without resorting to total war.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 pm 
Janitor
Janitor

Mmmm.... the trees are epileptic tonight.

Zeus67 wrote:
...I am quite sure that he has under his command people who can read the Planet Mercenary classification system and warn him.

Unlikely. You really don't understand the concept of xenophobia do you?

Quote:
The Vice-Armador of Outer Uuplech Traffic Control has a vested interest for the UPA to win this engagement and yet they are also unaware that the UPA is nothing but a paper tiger.

That's supposition. I suspect they are completely aware of how weak the UPA are and they are counting on a bunch of foreign mercs to defend themselves aggressively.

Quote:
This comic tells me that everybody in Traffic Control is completely unaware of how powerful the Toughs task force is. They were making sure that Dr. Gugro did not warn the Toughs about the welcoming committee.

Why are you presuming that Capt Kaepru and Dr Gugro work in Traffic Control?

It's quite likely that they do not.

Quote:
The next comic says that the plan has changed.

No it doesn't. It states that regardless of whether the UPA win or lose, the Navy will arrive to arrest the mercs.

Also this is all from the perspective of Capt Kaepru, who might not be involved in any "plan", he might just be a well informed 3rd party with a vested interest in seeing the "plan" succeed in keeping out the foreigners.

Quote:
At this time we don't know how strong is the Uuple Patrol Group, but I suspect that they are not strong enough to handle the Toughs task force.

Actually we've been informed by our (comedically) Unreliable Narrator that the UPA stand no chance at all.

Quote:
My guess is that this is one of Petey's tests to see if he can make people, the Uuplechans in this case, to change their way to see things into something more inclusive without resorting to total war.

Interesting suspicion. I doubt it completely, but it is interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:35 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Quote:
At this time we don't know how strong is the Uuple Patrol Group, but I suspect that they are not strong enough to handle the Toughs task force.

Actually we've been informed by our (comedically) Unreliable Narrator that the UPA stand no chance at all.

Outer Uuple Patrol Group is the 'less soft' Uuplechan Navy, not the 'very soft' Uuplechan Patriot Armada.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:09 am 
Janitor
Janitor

Barmaglot wrote:
Outer Uuple Patrol Group is the 'less soft' Uuplechan Navy, not the 'very soft' Uuplechan Patriot Armada.

Ah, my error. We have no reliable info on them (other than Kath referring to them as "less soft").

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:43 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Or, widdle teddy bear, starts a REAL war with a REAL opponent, who is not impressed in the slightest with his peace/love/control all you simple meatbags philosophy or his penis size, and decide ridding the universe of him would be a GOOD thing.

I vote this

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:55 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

That war, with the Pa'anuri of Andromeda galaxy, has been running for quite a while now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

In response to the OP: Of course it's Petey. When is he ever not playing you?

He will manipulate events to give you the chance to come to the right conclusion.

He won't do things for you; he gives you the opportunity.

Mess up, and he disappears you, and gives someone else the opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:59 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Petey disappears you, giving you more or less unlimited chances to do good, while allowing others a chance to do good in your now vacant place. (Do AIs have canonical gender, do any of the genocidal teddy bears?)

I have to wonder if Petey isn't working on a fleet of trans galactic worldstars as backups. Tweak the laz'r'us a bit to leak data to the backups and everyone who opts in now lives forever (or at least an appreciable fraction remaining till heat death)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Zeus67 wrote:
Petey by now is very much aware of the problem about galactic civilizations dying on a regular basis and he is trying to break the cycle. He is also made aware of the mega war that happened when the Onestar offered immortality to everybody. So he and Chinook are trying to fix both problems. I suspect that Chinook had one of her long guns target and destroy that Uuple ship's annie plant and I suspect that Petey is preventing the Outer Uuple Traffic Control from gathering effective information about the Toughs.

Bolded part is is literal opposite of Koala god's modus operandi.
It is reasonable to expect him to ask Tagii Chinook to assist him, but he would not ask her to murder 60k (?) people, even if they can be raised.

Furthermore, end-guns, as All-Star calls them, already put everyone on edge, actually using them is downright irresponsible. Your idea is about as sensible as if in early 70s Israel (newly emerged nuclear power, local power and still overall new state) decided to nuke Spain (fascist regime), but only a bit, and only in places where "we are pretty sure no one actually lives". The only thing such scenario has good chances of doing, is ensuring prompt MAD.

The most polite descriptor for your scenario I can come up with is "ludicrous".