The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 845
I imagine it was either arguing with Elf about going first, or letting Elf go first. Either it's a lesson in letting your subordinates work without micromanaging, or a lesson in not letting your wife - who is not in charge of this operation - do whatever she wants.

They really should not be working so closely adjacent to each other. That can't be healthy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 pm 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1327
JohnSmith wrote:
I imagine it was either arguing with Elf about going first, or letting Elf go first. Either it's a lesson in letting your subordinates work without micromanaging, or a lesson in not letting your wife - who is not in charge of this operation - do whatever she wants.

They really should not be working so closely adjacent to each other. That can't be healthy.

I'm not so positive that is the blunder Ebby was referring to, since moments earlier he was talking about that specific incident without any clear context connecting the two.

It could be not warning the engineers to act scary, but that doesn't seem right either.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 643
Honestly I don't think so. Elf clearly amended the plan on the fly so Kevyn finding out why is well within reason for a commander watching an operation unfold. He just asked and didn't try to override her once she gave her reason.

I think it might be even earlier with how the TOEs were deployed or maybe even dealing with the missile swarm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1327
Arcanestomper wrote:
Honestly I don't think so. Elf clearly amended the plan on the fly so Kevyn finding out why is well within reason for a commander watching an operation unfold. He just asked and didn't try to override her once she gave her reason.

I think it might be even earlier with how the TOEs were deployed or maybe even dealing with the missile swarm.

If that's the case it could be any number of things that were not shown yet.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:35 pm
Posts: 372
Location: Nebulae beyond Gamma Draconis
grahamf wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
Honestly I don't think so. Elf clearly amended the plan on the fly so Kevyn finding out why is well within reason for a commander watching an operation unfold. He just asked and didn't try to override her once she gave her reason.

I think it might be even earlier with how the TOEs were deployed or maybe even dealing with the missile swarm.

If that's the case it could be any number of things that were not shown yet.


There is no reason why it has to be something we have seen and can figure out. It very well may be, but it does not have to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 54
Are the other heavies not modded to do what Elf's suit did? I'm confused.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 643
Maybe the other heavies don't have her engineering knowledge to be able to deploy everything. Still I wasn't expecting that. When he said any of the heavies could do it I thought that seemed reasonable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:40 am
Posts: 536
Location: Eugene, OR
I'm still trying to figure out why all this silly action-figure-y stuff is considered a good idea. Surely sending a fully-independent, self-deploying package or packages through first is better than going to all the trouble to break it up and attach it to a perfectly good set of armor, taking an unavoidable hit in mass, volume and performance while carrying it, and risking that something will go awry and you'll be stumbling around a hot entry zone with half a bunker still partially attached to your leg.

We make grunts carry some or most of their gear into battle on their bodies today because "fully-independent, self-deploying" isn't yet within our capabilities. But it absolutely is for these people, so why are they, other than "someone [probably Howard, Kevyn, Elf, or all of the above] thought it would be Cool"?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:55 pm
Posts: 1329
Location: City of Brotherly Love
That is For The Drama. No Drama in a combat drone getting blown up by enemy plasma fire (unless the writer turns said drone into a likeable character of its own like Tenzy).

_________________
The MacNut
Artist and writer of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero comic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:04 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 845
Well, at some point you hit genre conventions, you know? In space opera you tend to have ground-pounders and tanks and other recognizable military paraphernalia. More cyberpunk fiction would laugh at these quaint methods of combat, but then cyberpunk has plenty of genre tropes of its own.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:27 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:40 am
Posts: 536
Location: Eugene, OR
I'm not even talking about taking the organics out of the equation. It's like...

"Okay, I can strap a tower shield to my front, and then when I get to the fight I have to hurry to get the straps off (and hope none of them get stuck) so I can pull it off and dig it into the dirt in front of me... or, for only a little more gold (if even that), I can have a shield that flies ahead of me, automatically moves to cover me, and which I don't have to think about except for making sure it stays out of my way when I swing."

Gosh, which one would you go for?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 491
StClair wrote:
I'm not even talking about taking the organics out of the equation. It's like...

"Okay, I can strap a tower shield to my front, and then when I get to the fight I have to hurry to get the straps off (and hope none of them get stuck) so I can pull it off and dig it into the dirt in front of me... or, for only a little more gold (if even that), I can have a shield that flies ahead of me, automatically moves to cover me, and which I don't have to think about except for making sure it stays out of my way when I swing."

Gosh, which one would you go for?


The former because until its deployed, it's still *heavy armor*.

The armor is there until the area is clear, the emplacements are to keep it secure, and AS emplacements, they can exert a lot more power than they can while they're being worn, including providing overlapping shields and fields of fire. You do not send anything short of a full AI into battle alone because they're too easily hacked. You ESPECIALLY do not send a self-deploying bunker into battle ahead of your guys because it's entirely possible you'll have to fight it when you DO send people through!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
Concession Worker
Concession Worker
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1327
Only five? I guess that makes sense. I suspect that his claim might be off, but only to the extent that "If other heavies hear that they might get bad ideas and pull a Peri"

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:41 pm
Posts: 153
Ensby is rather smart in this I am noticing. I wonder what class he is right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:52 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:35 pm
Posts: 372
Location: Nebulae beyond Gamma Draconis
Warior4356 wrote:
Ensby is rather smart in this I am noticing. I wonder what class he is right now.

This is more about interpersonal skills than raw intelligence, and Ennesby has always been skilled in language, (pop)culture and interpersonal skills, however he would often sacrifice latter for sake of a joke or pun. After all he was designed as entertainment AI, being able to "read" fans/audience and adjust performance was important in his first job. Post-liberation, he started exercising his freedom, which often included deliberately not-using some of his skills, but he always had them.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group