The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I imagine it was either arguing with Elf about going first, or letting Elf go first. Either it's a lesson in letting your subordinates work without micromanaging, or a lesson in not letting your wife - who is not in charge of this operation - do whatever she wants.

They really should not be working so closely adjacent to each other. That can't be healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

JohnSmith wrote:
I imagine it was either arguing with Elf about going first, or letting Elf go first. Either it's a lesson in letting your subordinates work without micromanaging, or a lesson in not letting your wife - who is not in charge of this operation - do whatever she wants.

They really should not be working so closely adjacent to each other. That can't be healthy.

I'm not so positive that is the blunder Ebby was referring to, since moments earlier he was talking about that specific incident without any clear context connecting the two.

It could be not warning the engineers to act scary, but that doesn't seem right either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Honestly I don't think so. Elf clearly amended the plan on the fly so Kevyn finding out why is well within reason for a commander watching an operation unfold. He just asked and didn't try to override her once she gave her reason.

I think it might be even earlier with how the TOEs were deployed or maybe even dealing with the missile swarm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Arcanestomper wrote:
Honestly I don't think so. Elf clearly amended the plan on the fly so Kevyn finding out why is well within reason for a commander watching an operation unfold. He just asked and didn't try to override her once she gave her reason.

I think it might be even earlier with how the TOEs were deployed or maybe even dealing with the missile swarm.

If that's the case it could be any number of things that were not shown yet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

If that's the case it could be any number of things that were not shown yet.

There is no reason why it has to be something we have seen and can figure out. It very well may be, but it does not have to be.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Are the other heavies not modded to do what Elf's suit did? I'm confused.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Maybe the other heavies don't have her engineering knowledge to be able to deploy everything. Still I wasn't expecting that. When he said any of the heavies could do it I thought that seemed reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'm still trying to figure out why all this silly action-figure-y stuff is considered a good idea. Surely sending a fully-independent, self-deploying package or packages through first is better than going to all the trouble to break it up and attach it to a perfectly good set of armor, taking an unavoidable hit in mass, volume and performance while carrying it, and risking that something will go awry and you'll be stumbling around a hot entry zone with half a bunker still partially attached to your leg.

We make grunts carry some or most of their gear into battle on their bodies today because "fully-independent, self-deploying" isn't yet within our capabilities. But it absolutely is for these people, so why are they, other than "someone [probably Howard, Kevyn, Elf, or all of the above] thought it would be Cool"?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

That is For The Drama. No Drama in a combat drone getting blown up by enemy plasma fire (unless the writer turns said drone into a likeable character of its own like Tenzy).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:04 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Well, at some point you hit genre conventions, you know? In space opera you tend to have ground-pounders and tanks and other recognizable military paraphernalia. More cyberpunk fiction would laugh at these quaint methods of combat, but then cyberpunk has plenty of genre tropes of its own.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:27 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'm not even talking about taking the organics out of the equation. It's like...

"Okay, I can strap a tower shield to my front, and then when I get to the fight I have to hurry to get the straps off (and hope none of them get stuck) so I can pull it off and dig it into the dirt in front of me... or, for only a little more gold (if even that), I can have a shield that flies ahead of me, automatically moves to cover me, and which I don't have to think about except for making sure it stays out of my way when I swing."

Gosh, which one would you go for?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

StClair wrote:
I'm not even talking about taking the organics out of the equation. It's like...

"Okay, I can strap a tower shield to my front, and then when I get to the fight I have to hurry to get the straps off (and hope none of them get stuck) so I can pull it off and dig it into the dirt in front of me... or, for only a little more gold (if even that), I can have a shield that flies ahead of me, automatically moves to cover me, and which I don't have to think about except for making sure it stays out of my way when I swing."

Gosh, which one would you go for?

The former because until its deployed, it's still *heavy armor*.

The armor is there until the area is clear, the emplacements are to keep it secure, and AS emplacements, they can exert a lot more power than they can while they're being worn, including providing overlapping shields and fields of fire. You do not send anything short of a full AI into battle alone because they're too easily hacked. You ESPECIALLY do not send a self-deploying bunker into battle ahead of your guys because it's entirely possible you'll have to fight it when you DO send people through!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Only five? I guess that makes sense. I suspect that his claim might be off, but only to the extent that "If other heavies hear that they might get bad ideas and pull a Peri"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Ensby is rather smart in this I am noticing. I wonder what class he is right now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:52 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Warior4356 wrote:
Ensby is rather smart in this I am noticing. I wonder what class he is right now.

This is more about interpersonal skills than raw intelligence, and Ennesby has always been skilled in language, (pop)culture and interpersonal skills, however he would often sacrifice latter for sake of a joke or pun. After all he was designed as entertainment AI, being able to "read" fans/audience and adjust performance was important in his first job. Post-liberation, he started exercising his freedom, which often included deliberately not-using some of his skills, but he always had them.