The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:24 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Nothing is soldier-proof: Soldiers can break anything.

Preferably they break the enemy, but . . . :roll:

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:21 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Breaking terrible engineering to get good stuff works here only because he works for Tagon.

As most soldiers will tell you, you can get stuck with terrible engineering no matter how many times soldiers break (or get killed by) it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Pangaea75 wrote:
Breaking terrible engineering to get good stuff works here only because he works for Tagon.

As most soldiers will tell you, you can get stuck with terrible engineering no matter how many times soldiers break (or get killed by) it.

And that is why he's a Grip-tight Captain. He knows that shiney happy troops love shiney and useful materiel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:06 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

You know looking at this strip it occurs to me that the whole ship looks retrofitted to work for the Uuplechans. We've seen a bunch of little half decks everywhere, but there's plenty of room for the Toughs and their gear. The ship the civilian captain and doctor was like that too.

So either these xenophobic aliens built all of their ships with alien visitors in mind, or it looks like they bought most of their ships from outsiders and retrofitted them for their needs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Or it's funnier drawn that way.

Though honestly it would make sense if they're buying used ships from the outside galaxy. Xenophobes who DON'T have a stockpile of the most valuable material in the galaxy are probably going to fall behind the galactic tech curve.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:42 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
You know looking at this strip it occurs to me that the whole ship looks retrofitted to work for the Uuplechans. We've seen a bunch of little half decks everywhere, but there's plenty of room for the Toughs and their gear. The ship the civilian captain and doctor was like that too.

So either these xenophobic aliens built all of their ships with alien visitors in mind, or it looks like they bought most of their ships from outsiders and retrofitted them for their needs.

It looks like they bought them as hulls. not complete ships, and did the fitting themselves. That explains the terrible ergonomics and complete disorder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Even if they bought the hulls surely they could have moved something like the helm station. It's sticking up out of the middle of the deck. If anything it would be more efficient to place it lower down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Even if they bought the hulls surely they could have moved something like the helm station. It's sticking up out of the middle of the deck. If anything it would be more efficient to place it lower down.

That helm station probably came with an instruction manual detailing precisely how to connect it to the ship. If you don't really know what you are doing, your best option is to stick to the manual and find another solution. In this case a high stool.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:16 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Don't know about that . . .

I think there are really too many indicators that these ships were brought in as either runners or near-running wrecks.

Not least that the shiplord's arrogance is, I suspect, partly a cover for terror that his basic incompetence will be discovered. He knows he's incompetent, is terrified that someone else will figure it out.

Though I could be wrong on that point . . . he could be that fundamentally stupid.

Hmmm . . . I wonder if part or all of the ships were obtained by flat piracy?

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

If you don't know how to reroute the wiring of a navigation computer, then you should not be trying to build and run a starship. I suppose we've been getting a crash course in how incompetent the militia are, but I mean that's pretty basic stuff. You don't even need galactic level technology to figure out electrical wiring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
If you don't know how to reroute the wiring of a navigation computer, then you should not be trying to build and run a starship. I suppose we've been getting a crash course in how incompetent the militia are, but I mean that's pretty basic stuff. You don't even need galactic level technology to figure out electrical wiring.

It is one thing to wire a computer and another to redesign it so it fit in a smaller housing. Take a PC vs a laptop: a component that in a PC is nothing more than a card that is connected in a slot, in a laptop is a microchip soldered into the motherboard.

So, probably that helm housing probably has a lot of slots that must be wired in a predetermined way. It probably is idiot-proof as long as you follow the instructions. If you want to modify it, then you must bring somebody with the know how, and I doubt the UPA will contract a non-Uupplechan to do the job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 am 
Intern
Intern

FreeFlier wrote:
Hmmm . . . I wonder if part or all of the ships were obtained by flat piracy?
I'm thinking "definitely so", given the shiplord is clearly a pirate, what with stealing thumphs from people and all. I would imagine all of his acts of piracy are thus committed against outsiders, so they go overlooked by the government.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:42 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Zeus67 wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

It is one thing to wire a computer and another to redesign it so it fit in a smaller housing. Take a PC vs a laptop: a component that in a PC is nothing more than a card that is connected in a slot, in a laptop is a microchip soldered into the motherboard.

So, probably that helm housing probably has a lot of slots that must be wired in a predetermined way. It probably is idiot-proof as long as you follow the instructions. If you want to modify it, then you must bring somebody with the know how, and I doubt the UPA will contract a non-Uupplechan to do the job.

My understanding is that military equipment tends to run towards the PC slot type for ease of maintenance and repair. Civilian stuff uses soldered components and such because its not expected to need repairs short of its end of life.

Anyway my point is that something like a helm computer is not an annie plant or even a quantum computer. Its basic electronics, and if the Uuplechans managed to get into space by themselves, or even close, then there should native Uuplechans who can do that sort of redesign.

Of course this militia might not have the budget to hire them, but that is extremely short sighted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:47 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
Anyway my point is that something like a helm computer is not an annie plant or even a quantum computer. Its basic electronics, and if the Uuplechans managed to get into space by themselves, or even close, then there should native Uuplechans who can do that sort of redesign.

There could also be cultural factors in play. At one time in Saudi Arabia (and it may continue to be true today), tank officers could do things like drive the tank and fire the tank--those were high-status jobs. But frequently, if you had a high enough status to drive the tank, there was a cultural imperative that you were too high-status to maintain or repair the tank. It's something that would be absolutely intolerable in most Western military organizations, but in the status-bound culture of Saudi Arabia, it's mandatory.

Quote:
Of course this militia might not have the budget to hire them, but that is extremely short sighted.

I will not make short jokes. I will not make short jokes. I will not make short jokes.

You folks probably should go ahead, I'll be a while writing this on the blackboard.

I will not make short jokes. I will not make short jokes. I will not make short jokes. I will not....

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:43 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Looking at the helm station again I see that there are two sets of controls. And Peri has had no trouble getting around despite being noticably taller than most other races. Given the ship lord's trophies I wonder if this used to be a Fobottr ship.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:06 pm 
Intern
Intern

/awkward cough

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:23 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Looking at the helm station again I see that there are two sets of controls. And Peri has had no trouble getting around despite being noticably taller than most other races. Given the ship lord's trophies I wonder if this used to be a Fobottr ship.

The time stamps must be local. It is currently 9:22pm on Nov 23 here (EST).

Hah. Off by an hour. Where the heck is an hour east of east coast? Bermuda?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:58 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

rwstyles wrote:

AST is EST+1: Bermuda, easternmost provinces of Canada and some islands in the Caribbean. I've only seen it in NHC forecasts during Atlantic hurricane season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:11 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

rwstyles wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/canada ... round.html

"The Newfoundland Standard Time (NST) zone, UTC-3:30, is a unique time zone that exists because of the island’s location and the fact that it was a separate dominion when the time zones were established. The island of Newfoundland lies squarely in the eastern half of the Atlantic Standard Time (AST) zone. The island is exactly three and a half hours from Greenwich and, as a separate dominion, it had the ability to adopt its own time zone."

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/nst

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:06 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I did in fact post my last post before today's strip went up. I specifically checked because I figured this one would say one way or another.