The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Yes, we get it. He is completely irredeemably (maybe Koala god could spend some of his miracles on this guy, but might not be worth it), unapologetically evil and deserves whatever happens to him next. Get on with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:20 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

This is typical of bullies. They are not the bad guys. The other one made him do it so whatever happened it was his/her fault not the bully's. After all he was defending his self, home, honor, property, etc.

The fact is that they are very much aware that what they have done is wrong not only in the moral but in the legal sense, so they create different reasons why they had to act as they did. In this case Srobben is acting as a bully that has been cornered and rendered harmless and under threat of retribution.

Interestingly enough one of the captured pirates is gesturing "please do not anger these big bad guys."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm 
Intern
Intern

Zeus67 wrote:
Interestingly enough one of the captured pirates is gesturing "please do not anger these big bad guys."
I think that's more the "face of watching someone insert foot in mouth and then continue chewing".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:49 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Just rip his arms off and shove them up his nose and have done with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Fishman wrote:
Zeus67 wrote:
I think that's more the "face of watching someone insert foot in mouth and then continue chewing".

I think he's just closing the one eye do it doesn't get any of the shiptheif's blood in it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:22 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Zeus67 wrote:

I think he's just closing the one eye do it doesn't get any of the shiptheif's blood in it.

One problem I see with executing the 'rip his arms off' plan is that once you completely immobilize your enemy, maiming them for your satisfaction makes you evil, and a bully yourself.

Hand them and the ship over to the Fobottr authorities.

Also, didn't another bridge 'officer' have a tlumnph on their shoulder? Someone should fetch that cat.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 pm 
Intern
Intern

Stanistani wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

One problem I see with executing the 'rip his arms off' plan is that once you completely immobilize your enemy, maiming them for your satisfaction makes you evil, and a bully yourself.

Also, didn't another bridge 'officer' have a tlumnph on their shoulder? Someone should fetch that cat.

I'm sure notice of the murder of a High Priestess would be an international incident...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:04 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

You know he could be right about the thief part. Neither us nor "marshal" Gugro has all the information. High priestess turned pirate maybe? It could happen. Or maybe she set out to "steal" some holy relic or ancestral ground and got caught. Or maybe the Tlumnph was a lie, that doesn't sound very likely but we certainly don't know.

We're moving onto summary execution based on circumstantial evidence in a crime they don't even have jurisdiction on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I wonder if the loss of ship and "died a beggar" was a case of a kangaroo court for something like "stealing air" and then somehow not accepting any form of payment until the ship was stolen out from under them.

Edit... Or perhaps stealing interstellar hydrogen?

Last edited by DrCron on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
You know he could be right about the thief part. Neither us nor "marshal" Gugro has all the information. High priestess turned pirate maybe? It could happen. Or maybe she set out to "steal" some holy relic or ancestral ground and got caught. Or maybe the Tlumnph was a lie, that doesn't sound very likely but we certainly don't know.

We're moving onto summary execution based on circumstantial evidence in a crime they don't even have jurisdiction on.

More like false charges.

In a xenophobic society is very easy to accuse a foreigner for any crime and have said foreigner declare guilty without problems. My idea is that Srabben wanted the ship and engineerd a situation in which he claimed being the victim of a darned foreigner. The courts took his word and gave him the ship as indemnity. The ship's captain/owner was stripped of everything she owned. She decided to kill Srabben and died in unknown circumstances.

So Srabben is telling the truth from his point of view: The High Priestess was a thief and died a beggar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 am 
Intern
Intern

Stanistani wrote:
To be fair, what we would consider maiming in the real world is simply a minor inconvenience in the Schlockiverse. People lose arms all the time and are back in action shortly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
Stanistani wrote:
To be fair, what we would consider maiming in the real world is simply a minor inconvenience in the Schlockiverse. People lose arms all the time and are back in action shortly.

I imagine it still hurts as badly. I admit that Srabben is jumping up and down on the moral scales foolishly. link

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:46 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

He's talking like a man who legally can't be touched and is just twisting the knife out of spite. Curious how that'll work out for him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:04 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Stanistani wrote:

Schlock likes to eat people alive. Ebby has a PhD in xenoassassination. Kevyn wrote off the interstellar war he started with barely an "oops." Tagon firmly believes in being the first to resort to violence.

Our protagonists are not nice people.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Stanistani wrote:

Schlock likes to eat people alive. Ebby has a PhD in xenoassassination. Kevyn wrote off the interstellar war he started with barely an "oops." Tagon firmly believes in being the first to resort to violence.

Well, some of them can be nice people when they aren't getting paid to kill you. But yes, the only reason they haven't become full-fledged villain protagonists is because they keep saving the galaxy by getting on the wrong side of individuals who are even more sociopathic and omnicidal than they are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

And I'm sure that goes for Peri, too. She's probably pretty nice in a social context, but... she's a mercenary. She'll kill for money, so killing (or maiming) because of rage and insult seems pretty par for the course.

I guess I'm just saying that this comic has been based on comedic and over-the-top violence for a long time. Ripping the cat's arms off is nothing new.

I like how Peri carried out her threat though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:42 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

JohnSmith wrote:
And I'm sure that goes for Peri, too. She's probably pretty nice in a social context, but... she's a mercenary. She'll kill for money, so killing (or maiming) because of rage and insult seems pretty par for the course.

Peri was Sanctum Adroit. They are several shades more 'noble' than 'mercenary'... even if they are mercs themselves (mercenary cops... but still mercenary).

Quote:

And it sets a very nice "and here's how we'll deal with anymore nonsense like this" precedent for this mission.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:08 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
. . . Schlock likes to eat people alive. Ebby has a PhD in xenoassassination. Kevyn wrote off the interstellar war he started with barely an "oops." Tagon firmly believes in being the first to resort to violence.

Reminds me somewhat of Glen Cook's Black Company series . . . even the good guys are not nice people.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:33 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:

Yup. And she did it like an officer, too.

("Sergeant, dig me a trench.")

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:48 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Loose end department:
10-29-2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 am 
Intern
Intern

Stanistani wrote:
Loose end department:
10-29-2017

Loose end may be resolved within five pages. The guy probably took it off the moment they (the crew excluding the captain) realized they were in deep shit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:09 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

mmm. It's such an oddly distinguishing feature though... wonder if the cat got out of the bag?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:42 pm 
Intern
Intern

JohnSmith wrote:
mmm. It's such an oddly distinguishing feature though... wonder if the cat got out of the bag?

Looked like Howie never bothered to do the work to make it look ill-fitting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:37 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
Stanistani wrote:
Loose end department:
10-29-2017

Loose end may be resolved within five pages. The guy probably took it off the moment they (the crew excluding the captain) realized they were in deep shit.

That cat may be goobered to a wall somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:27 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

This will likely cast more aspersions on me rather than on anything else, but the joyous praise of the high priestess clan mother puts my teeth on edge. The way the scene is played out, that a perfect humble clan leader migrant come only to seek honest work killed by a short, stupid, boorish, unapologetic murderous thieving lout, who gets his just comeuppance, speaks to me in the same tones of of circular emails involving everyone clapping at a marine punching an atheist professor at a liberal university.

I am aware that it's highly unlikely that any political agenda is being shown in Schlock Mercenary, but the last few strips just feels too much like pro-immigration propaganda. Perhaps it's simply a bias on my part rearing its head at being faced with such one sided stories as this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
This will likely cast more aspersions on me rather than on anything else, but the joyous praise of the high priestess clan mother puts my teeth on edge. The way the scene is played out, that a perfect humble clan leader migrant come only to seek honest work killed by a short, stupid, boorish, unapologetic murderous thieving lout, who gets his just comeuppance, speaks to me in the same tones of of circular emails involving everyone clapping at a marine punching an atheist professor at a liberal university.

I am aware that it's highly unlikely that any political agenda is being shown in Schlock Mercenary, but the last few strips just feels too much like pro-immigration propaganda. Perhaps it's simply a bias on my part rearing its head at being faced with such one sided stories as this.

Remember the whole situation. The Shiplord has just attempted to murder the Toughs because they are coming to provide life saving medical attention to a group that he hates and has demonstrated himself to be a xenophobic, arrogant, and egotistical bully. He is very far from being the good guy here, plus I think its quite clear that Peri does not have an unbiased view on Clan Mother Sira Tetlumbrathi's character based on the reading of her Tlumnph, I would be very surprised if it doesn't at the very least focus on her good qualities while glossing over her bad ones, if not outright ignoring them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:14 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Yeah, Reaver, it's pingin all my radar's too... but... I'm extending trust that this won;t go that way completely.

And if it does? C'est la vie. Howard has been an excellent author and it won't impair my enjoyment... unless he goes full on frothing-at-the-mouth-screeching-liberal-Marxist on us, and with his love of MOAR DAKKA and a lot of frankly, shockingly Libertarian ideals displayed so far... I really doubt he's going that route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:38 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Honestly it's really only Peri that's doing this. Elf seems more bemused than anything, and the rest of the Toughs are more concerned with how this will affect the mission. Remember that this whole situation is a front put up by the Toughs to fake out the Uplechan government. So their actions cannot really be taken as representative when in areas that the Uplechans can see them.

I mean obviously Peri's feeling are true, but we have no further information on what actually happened. And if you found out someone apparently fairly respected in your species died at the hands of aliens a bit of outrage can be expected.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:38 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Can we please leave real-world politics at the door? I cannot think of a faster way to blow the hell out of whatever sense of community we've scraped together.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
Can we please leave real-world politics at the door? I cannot think of a faster way to blow the hell out of whatever sense of community we've scraped together.

Fictional politics does, frequently, overlap with real-world politics: that's just one dynamic that can make a work of fiction timely and relevant.

So far, from what I have seen, discussions of real-world politics have been kept to a reasonable minimum. I, too, would encourage that to continue, but I also want to thank those who have discussed the fictional politics, but refrained from letting the conversation drift in that direction.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."