The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:35 pm
Posts: 372
Location: Nebulae beyond Gamma Draconis
Yes, we get it. He is completely irredeemably (maybe Koala god could spend some of his miracles on this guy, but might not be worth it), unapologetically evil and deserves whatever happens to him next. Get on with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:20 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 145
This is typical of bullies. They are not the bad guys. The other one made him do it so whatever happened it was his/her fault not the bully's. After all he was defending his self, home, honor, property, etc.

The fact is that they are very much aware that what they have done is wrong not only in the moral but in the legal sense, so they create different reasons why they had to act as they did. In this case Srobben is acting as a bully that has been cornered and rendered harmless and under threat of retribution.

Interestingly enough one of the captured pirates is gesturing "please do not anger these big bad guys."

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 1185
Zeus67 wrote:
Interestingly enough one of the captured pirates is gesturing "please do not anger these big bad guys."
I think that's more the "face of watching someone insert foot in mouth and then continue chewing".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:49 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 am
Posts: 565
Just rip his arms off and shove them up his nose and have done with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2566
Fishman wrote:
Zeus67 wrote:
Interestingly enough one of the captured pirates is gesturing "please do not anger these big bad guys."
I think that's more the "face of watching someone insert foot in mouth and then continue chewing".

I think he's just closing the one eye do it doesn't get any of the shiptheif's blood in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:22 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 184
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Zeus67 wrote:
Interestingly enough one of the captured pirates is gesturing "please do not anger these big bad guys."
I think that's more the "face of watching someone insert foot in mouth and then continue chewing".

I think he's just closing the one eye do it doesn't get any of the shiptheif's blood in it.

One problem I see with executing the 'rip his arms off' plan is that once you completely immobilize your enemy, maiming them for your satisfaction makes you evil, and a bully yourself.

Hand them and the ship over to the Fobottr authorities.

Also, didn't another bridge 'officer' have a tlumnph on their shoulder? Someone should fetch that cat.

_________________
The difference between theory and practice is that theories seldom involve people screaming in terror.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1288
Stanistani wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
I think that's more the "face of watching someone insert foot in mouth and then continue chewing".

I think he's just closing the one eye do it doesn't get any of the shiptheif's blood in it.

One problem I see with executing the 'rip his arms off' plan is that once you completely immobilize your enemy, maiming them for your satisfaction makes you evil, and a bully yourself.

Hand them and the ship over to the Fobottr authorities.

Also, didn't another bridge 'officer' have a tlumnph on their shoulder? Someone should fetch that cat.

I'm sure notice of the murder of a High Priestess would be an international incident...

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:04 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 391
You know he could be right about the thief part. Neither us nor "marshal" Gugro has all the information. High priestess turned pirate maybe? It could happen. Or maybe she set out to "steal" some holy relic or ancestral ground and got caught. Or maybe the Tlumnph was a lie, that doesn't sound very likely but we certainly don't know.

We're moving onto summary execution based on circumstantial evidence in a crime they don't even have jurisdiction on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:36 pm
Posts: 107
I wonder if the loss of ship and "died a beggar" was a case of a kangaroo court for something like "stealing air" and then somehow not accepting any form of payment until the ship was stolen out from under them.

Edit... Or perhaps stealing interstellar hydrogen?


Last edited by DrCron on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:07 am
Posts: 145
sotanaht wrote:
You know he could be right about the thief part. Neither us nor "marshal" Gugro has all the information. High priestess turned pirate maybe? It could happen. Or maybe she set out to "steal" some holy relic or ancestral ground and got caught. Or maybe the Tlumnph was a lie, that doesn't sound very likely but we certainly don't know.

We're moving onto summary execution based on circumstantial evidence in a crime they don't even have jurisdiction on.


More like false charges.

In a xenophobic society is very easy to accuse a foreigner for any crime and have said foreigner declare guilty without problems. My idea is that Srabben wanted the ship and engineerd a situation in which he claimed being the victim of a darned foreigner. The courts took his word and gave him the ship as indemnity. The ship's captain/owner was stripped of everything she owned. She decided to kill Srabben and died in unknown circumstances.

So Srabben is telling the truth from his point of view: The High Priestess was a thief and died a beggar.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 1185
Stanistani wrote:
One problem I see with executing the 'rip his arms off' plan is that once you completely immobilize your enemy, maiming them for your satisfaction makes you evil, and a bully yourself.
To be fair, what we would consider maiming in the real world is simply a minor inconvenience in the Schlockiverse. People lose arms all the time and are back in action shortly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 184
Fishman wrote:
Stanistani wrote:
One problem I see with executing the 'rip his arms off' plan is that once you completely immobilize your enemy, maiming them for your satisfaction makes you evil, and a bully yourself.
To be fair, what we would consider maiming in the real world is simply a minor inconvenience in the Schlockiverse. People lose arms all the time and are back in action shortly.

I imagine it still hurts as badly. I admit that Srabben is jumping up and down on the moral scales foolishly. link

_________________
The difference between theory and practice is that theories seldom involve people screaming in terror.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:46 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 166
He's talking like a man who legally can't be touched and is just twisting the knife out of spite. Curious how that'll work out for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:04 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 845
Stanistani wrote:
One problem I see with executing the 'rip his arms off' plan is that once you completely immobilize your enemy, maiming them for your satisfaction makes you evil, and a bully yourself.

Hand them and the ship over to the Fobottr authorities.

Also, didn't another bridge 'officer' have a tlumnph on their shoulder? Someone should fetch that cat.


Schlock likes to eat people alive. Ebby has a PhD in xenoassassination. Kevyn wrote off the interstellar war he started with barely an "oops." Tagon firmly believes in being the first to resort to violence.

Our protagonists are not nice people.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 pm 
Offline
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:33 pm
Posts: 30
JohnSmith wrote:
Stanistani wrote:
One problem I see with executing the 'rip his arms off' plan is that once you completely immobilize your enemy, maiming them for your satisfaction makes you evil, and a bully yourself.

Hand them and the ship over to the Fobottr authorities.

Also, didn't another bridge 'officer' have a tlumnph on their shoulder? Someone should fetch that cat.


Schlock likes to eat people alive. Ebby has a PhD in xenoassassination. Kevyn wrote off the interstellar war he started with barely an "oops." Tagon firmly believes in being the first to resort to violence.

Our protagonists are not nice people.


Well, some of them can be nice people when they aren't getting paid to kill you. But yes, the only reason they haven't become full-fledged villain protagonists is because they keep saving the galaxy by getting on the wrong side of individuals who are even more sociopathic and omnicidal than they are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 845
And I'm sure that goes for Peri, too. She's probably pretty nice in a social context, but... she's a mercenary. She'll kill for money, so killing (or maiming) because of rage and insult seems pretty par for the course.


I guess I'm just saying that this comic has been based on comedic and over-the-top violence for a long time. Ripping the cat's arms off is nothing new.


I like how Peri carried out her threat though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:42 pm 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2566
JohnSmith wrote:
And I'm sure that goes for Peri, too. She's probably pretty nice in a social context, but... she's a mercenary. She'll kill for money, so killing (or maiming) because of rage and insult seems pretty par for the course.

Peri was Sanctum Adroit. They are several shades more 'noble' than 'mercenary'... even if they are mercs themselves (mercenary cops... but still mercenary).

Quote:
I like how Peri carried out her threat though.

And it sets a very nice "and here's how we'll deal with anymore nonsense like this" precedent for this mission.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:08 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm
Posts: 691
Location: Land of the webbed feet
JohnSmith wrote:
. . . Schlock likes to eat people alive. Ebby has a PhD in xenoassassination. Kevyn wrote off the interstellar war he started with barely an "oops." Tagon firmly believes in being the first to resort to violence.

Our protagonists are not nice people.

Reminds me somewhat of Glen Cook's Black Company series . . . even the good guys are not nice people.

--FreeFlier


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:33 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:40 am
Posts: 530
Location: Eugene, OR
JohnSmith wrote:
I like how Peri carried out her threat though.


Yup. And she did it like an officer, too.

("Sergeant, dig me a trench.")


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:48 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 184
Loose end department:
Image
10-29-2017

_________________
The difference between theory and practice is that theories seldom involve people screaming in terror.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1288
Stanistani wrote:
Loose end department:
Image
10-29-2017

Loose end may be resolved within five pages. The guy probably took it off the moment they (the crew excluding the captain) realized they were in deep shit.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:09 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 845
mmm. It's such an oddly distinguishing feature though... wonder if the cat got out of the bag?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:42 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1288
JohnSmith wrote:
mmm. It's such an oddly distinguishing feature though... wonder if the cat got out of the bag?

Looked like Howie never bothered to do the work to make it look ill-fitting.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 184
grahamf wrote:
Stanistani wrote:
Loose end department:
Image
10-29-2017

Loose end may be resolved within five pages. The guy probably took it off the moment they (the crew excluding the captain) realized they were in deep shit.

That cat may be goobered to a wall somewhere.

_________________
The difference between theory and practice is that theories seldom involve people screaming in terror.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:27 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 591
This will likely cast more aspersions on me rather than on anything else, but the joyous praise of the high priestess clan mother puts my teeth on edge. The way the scene is played out, that a perfect humble clan leader migrant come only to seek honest work killed by a short, stupid, boorish, unapologetic murderous thieving lout, who gets his just comeuppance, speaks to me in the same tones of of circular emails involving everyone clapping at a marine punching an atheist professor at a liberal university.

I am aware that it's highly unlikely that any political agenda is being shown in Schlock Mercenary, but the last few strips just feels too much like pro-immigration propaganda. Perhaps it's simply a bias on my part rearing its head at being faced with such one sided stories as this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 am 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:35 pm
Posts: 244
Reaver225 wrote:
This will likely cast more aspersions on me rather than on anything else, but the joyous praise of the high priestess clan mother puts my teeth on edge. The way the scene is played out, that a perfect humble clan leader migrant come only to seek honest work killed by a short, stupid, boorish, unapologetic murderous thieving lout, who gets his just comeuppance, speaks to me in the same tones of of circular emails involving everyone clapping at a marine punching an atheist professor at a liberal university.

I am aware that it's highly unlikely that any political agenda is being shown in Schlock Mercenary, but the last few strips just feels too much like pro-immigration propaganda. Perhaps it's simply a bias on my part rearing its head at being faced with such one sided stories as this.

Remember the whole situation. The Shiplord has just attempted to murder the Toughs because they are coming to provide life saving medical attention to a group that he hates and has demonstrated himself to be a xenophobic, arrogant, and egotistical bully. He is very far from being the good guy here, plus I think its quite clear that Peri does not have an unbiased view on Clan Mother Sira Tetlumbrathi's character based on the reading of her Tlumnph, I would be very surprised if it doesn't at the very least focus on her good qualities while glossing over her bad ones, if not outright ignoring them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2566
Yeah, Reaver, it's pingin all my radar's too... but... I'm extending trust that this won;t go that way completely.

And if it does? C'est la vie. Howard has been an excellent author and it won't impair my enjoyment... unless he goes full on frothing-at-the-mouth-screeching-liberal-Marxist on us, and with his love of MOAR DAKKA and a lot of frankly, shockingly Libertarian ideals displayed so far... I really doubt he's going that route.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:38 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 642
Honestly it's really only Peri that's doing this. Elf seems more bemused than anything, and the rest of the Toughs are more concerned with how this will affect the mission. Remember that this whole situation is a front put up by the Toughs to fake out the Uplechan government. So their actions cannot really be taken as representative when in areas that the Uplechans can see them.

I mean obviously Peri's feeling are true, but we have no further information on what actually happened. And if you found out someone apparently fairly respected in your species died at the hands of aliens a bit of outrage can be expected.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:38 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 845
Can we please leave real-world politics at the door? I cannot think of a faster way to blow the hell out of whatever sense of community we've scraped together.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 773
JohnSmith wrote:
Can we please leave real-world politics at the door? I cannot think of a faster way to blow the hell out of whatever sense of community we've scraped together.

Fictional politics does, frequently, overlap with real-world politics: that's just one dynamic that can make a work of fiction timely and relevant.

So far, from what I have seen, discussions of real-world politics have been kept to a reasonable minimum. I, too, would encourage that to continue, but I also want to thank those who have discussed the fictional politics, but refrained from letting the conversation drift in that direction.

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group