The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:19 pm 
Intern
Intern

Now that the crew have been sufficiently terrified it would be a good time to interrogate them over a nice cup of coca.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:28 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Heh. The Tough's new medic did worse than complain about lack of work; she expressed happiness about lack of work. To her superiors. Anyone who's worked any job for long enough could tell you that always ends with...you guessed it, more work. Silly, silly Neka.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I have to admit that it took me way too long to figure out what exactly happened. Peri did tear of his arms with one hand, by giving a signal to subordinates (she's playing Marshall, after all).

I wonder if Srabben will be defiant enough to scream "it doesn't count" or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 pm 
Intern
Intern

I dunno, that "Yoinktch" followed by a noteable lack of screaming indicates something far more fatal than ripping off an arm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:10 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

And now I understand why Elf was holding him by the arms that way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:15 pm 
Intern
Intern

Motortiki wrote:
And now I understand why Elf was holding him by the arms that way.

Ah, in that case the noteable lack of screaming could be because ripping out the arm took some of the ribcage with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

It would be very hard to rip the arms off simultaneously without something holding torso as well. I think this was a signal to one of the AIs to use gravy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Show the stumps! Show the stumps!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:05 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
It would be very hard to rip the arms off simultaneously without something holding torso as well. I think this was a signal to one of the AIs to use gravy.

I considered that too, but I think we have insufficient data to meaningfully speculate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:09 pm 
Intern
Intern

M[i]ech wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

I considered that too, but I think we have insufficient data to meaningfully speculate.

Last time we did that it ended up we already had all the data.

If there was gravy there should be a point in the comic where he pop's out of Elf's arms and floats for a moment before stretching unnaturally.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands (AKA MN)
grahamf wrote:
Now that the crew have been sufficiently terrified it would be a good time to interrogate them over a nice cup of coca.

Yes, the cocoa combined with the mercenaries disarming manner should make for a sanguine discussion.

(Checks the color crayon chart for sanguine... Yeah, about like arterial blood mixed with spilled cocoa.)

Last edited by bert2368 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:24 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:

Soldier boosts and a powered suit mean momentum will do the job of holding the torso in place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:37 am 
Carnie
Carnie

DrCron wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

Soldier boosts and a powered suit mean momentum will do the job of holding the torso in place.

Pull at each at the same rate and fast enough? POP goes the arm sockets.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
DrCron wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

Pull at each at the same rate and fast enough? POP goes the arm sockets.

Why not both? Gravy pins him to the ceiling, soldier boosts and a powered suit make sure his arms don't come along with. It's the only way I can see gravy working to do this without anyone else getting mangled in the process; I don't think they have the control to do that sort of fine manipulation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:45 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
Why not both? Gravy pins him to the ceiling, soldier boosts and a powered suit make sure his arms don't come along with. It's the only way I can see gravy working to do this without anyone else getting mangled in the process; I don't think they have the control to do that sort of fine manipulation.

Actually, the tech to control gravy REALLY finely has been around for a long time.
Pulling triggers on small arms (and moving individual body parts while holding the person in mid-air without ripping their arms off), disabling small arms and armor without leaving any outward signs...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:43 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

That's not gravy. If he could do that with gravy, he could just poke the monkey in the eye and be done with it. And he wouldn't have any problem knowing which one was the monkey in his face.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:00 pm 
Intern
Intern

JohnSmith wrote:
That's not gravy. If he could do that with gravy, he could just poke the monkey in the eye and be done with it. And he wouldn't have any problem knowing which one was the monkey in his face.

There is a really big difference between a bullet wound and a puncture wound, and the effort spent covering every single shred of evidence would be better served manipulating Tagon's arm (and doesn't require as much explaining of what happened and why Tagon is screwed).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Berserk_Knight wrote:
Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:

Actually, the tech to control gravy REALLY finely has been around for a long time.
Pulling triggers on small arms (and moving individual body parts while holding the person in mid-air without ripping their arms off), disabling small arms and armor without leaving any outward signs...

I'm not saying your wrong, but those examples don't support your point.

One of those was done by good old-fashioned software hacking, not gravitaics. Ennesby picked up the access codes to the marine's armory, and remotely shut off all their weapons.

The other was done by a battleplate, which requires a little more unpacking. A battleplate is basically a giant fabbery that happens to have weapons. One of a battleplate's jobs is to make more of itself, including those giant, precision made, 1000 meter annie plants. As can be seen, those annie plants don't fit inside the battleplate, so they must be fabricated externally. Therefore, battleplates must have extremely fine control of the space around them.

You still could be right about the gravy control. But the Tough's don't have a battleplate, and the hacking in this case is very wet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:37 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

To get both arms off:
1: grip arms firmly in fists near shoulders
2: Twist both fists (right fist clockwise, left fist counterclockwise)
3: Continue outwards pulling movement, as if attempting to pluck a joint from its socket

The pressure of fist against one's side will be enough leverage to remove both arms simultaneously, with only minor bruising and potentially cracked ribs!