The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:07 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Well that was surprising.... Also rather heartfelt. I'm really not sure what else to say on this, just really enjoyed this moment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:16 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Yeah, that was actually really nice. Heartfelt apologies are hard, and messy. And I'm very happy to see my "What the hell is he doing in her command chain" was a plot point.

Also, a ship beats the hell out of flowers as an apology gift.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:47 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
Yeah, that was actually really nice. Heartfelt apologies are hard, and messy. And I'm very happy to see my "What the hell is he doing in her command chain" was a plot point.

Not if it's the ship she just captured. Giving THAT thing to someone is more like gifting them a flaming bag of poo. Also sounds like nepotism, which is another reason she shouldn't have been in his command chain. Also there's a reason she doesn't have a ship.

Also I'm half surprised Howard didn't manage to slip the word "microaggressions" in there, but even so this whole thing stinks not unlike the aforementioned flaming bag.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think they are keeping that ship. Even if they manage to prove to Uulpechians that Srabben was a pirate (in a way that Uuplechian kangaroo court can not afford to doubt), it's still woefully underpowered and under-equipped for their line of work. It's a gesture and symbol, but only short term.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

sotanaht wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

Not if it's the ship she just captured. Giving THAT thing to someone is more like gifting them a flaming bag of poo. Also sounds like nepotism, which is another reason she shouldn't have been in his command chain. Also there's a reason she doesn't have a ship.

Also I'm half surprised Howard didn't manage to slip the word "microaggressions" in there, but even so this whole thing stinks not unlike the aforementioned flaming bag.

Prize ship crews and their commanding officers aren't really subject to nepotism. Generally it simply falls to whoever the highest ranking member of the boarding crew was. It generally is a fairly nice thing however as prize ships aren't expected to do anything more than sail home, and the commanding officer gets a nice chunk of the bounty. Not that that's really applicable here.

Mech wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:
Yeah, that was actually really nice. Heartfelt apologies are [i]hard, and messy. And I'm very happy to see my "What the hell is he doing in her command chain" was a plot point.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are keeping that ship. Even if they manage to prove to Uulpechians that Srabben was a pirate (in a way that Uuplechian kangaroo court can not afford to doubt), it's still woefully underpowered and under-equipped for their line of work. It's a gesture and symbol, but only short term.

Even if they don't keep the ship having independent command experience, even for a little bit, is a good thing for her to have on her resume.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:09 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Yeah, being captain of a prize crew doesn't mean you're captain forever - but even if you don't keep the ship, my understanding is that (traditionally) you often keep the rank, as long as no disaster occurred under your command. It's proof you were capable, and reward for being on the pointy end of the stick.

sotanaht wrote:
stuff

Yeesh man, chill. Kevyn is kinda a dick, that isn't new - him apologizing for insulting his wife is fine. I just hope elf apologizes for her shit too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
Yeah, being captain of a prize crew doesn't mean you're captain forever - but even if you don't keep the ship, my understanding is that (traditionally) you often keep the rank, as long as no disaster occurred under your command. It's proof you were capable, and reward for being on the pointy end of the stick. . . .

Not particularly . . . it was very common to give command of a minor prize to a midshipman as a combination test and learning experience. Successful command of a prize was a nice thing to have on your record, but did not mean you were qualified to command. Yet.

A disaster might end the midshipman's chances of reaching command, unless it was due to circumstances beyond his control, but unless he pulled off some sort of miracle (for instance, capturing a superior vessel), it was just a ticket-punching.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:39 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

FreeFlier wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:
Yeah, being captain of a prize crew doesn't mean you're captain forever - but even if you don't keep the ship, my understanding is that (traditionally) you often keep the rank, as long as no disaster occurred under your command. It's proof you were capable, and reward for being on the pointy end of the stick. . . .

Not particularly . . . it was very common to give command of a minor prize to a midshipman as a combination test and learning experience. Successful command of a prize was a nice thing to have on your record, but did not mean you were qualified to command. Yet.

A disaster might end the midshipman's chances of reaching command, unless it was due to circumstances beyond his control, but unless he pulled off some sort of miracle (for instance, capturing a superior vessel), it was just a ticket-punching.

--FreeFlier

That was my understanding of it. A midshipman who had commanded a prize crew successfully would be ahead of a midshipman who had not, but there were still quite a few other factors involved in getting a promotion. And for anyone above a midshipman commanding a prize crew wouldn't be particularly special.

It's still a nice symbolic thing to have an actual independent command though. Even temporarily.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:26 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

"Now that's a prayer."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah. It's good."
"It's good."
(together) "It's gooood."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:00 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

this sounds like a pretty accurate example of what a man trying to say something is like.

I mean, it's not like we are well trained in how to say this type of thing.

that is, trying to Clearly say how we think about someone of the opposite sex without being considered sexually oppressive or otherwise inappropriate is not something that's very clear.

I mean, verbal speaking has become a bit of a landmine;trying to avoid upsetting someone can be difficult.

that is, when the appropriateness of speech is determined by whether or not the other person is offended or not offended without any clear understanding of what offends another person ...

I mean,it's like having different cultural variations with somebody who lives in the same culture as you ...

I'm probably not being very clear on this, sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:43 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Well, it's good that they realize that there are issues with the current arrangement. I wonder what the long term plan for Elf is, though. I don't see them keeping the captured vessel, and so where will she end up after that?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:14 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Honestly it would be trivial for them to get another ship. It's mostly whether the senior officers consider Elf to be ready for her own command or not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

They are the richest people in the galaxy, and most of their warships (by rating) are comparable to 'plates. Oh, and the crazy goddess really likes them.

I think what the toughs are lacking is crew, not resources for ships. And yes, experience for elf. But seriously, they must be rattling around in those ships like they were on the original TAG.

Hiring must be difficult, though. Pretty much all the toughs are absurdly wealthy, and seem to stick around for love of wrecking havo-

oh holy crap. Schlock was the single largest holder of company stock. The blob could buy governments now.

-k. Everybody wants to work for you, in the expectation that you'll pay them absurdly well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Buying governments is no fun. And now his desires include saving peoples' forevers, and buying governments doesn't help here.