The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

She's a captain now. We can only hope she bothers to do minor tasks like tell her crew that she's reversed the direction of gravity or disabled all the torpedoes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 pm 
Intern
Intern

JohnSmith wrote:
She's a captain now. We can only hope she bothers to do minor tasks like tell her crew that she's reversed the direction of gravity or disabled all the torpedoes.

Nah, she wants to train them to always be on their toes.

...page is still not loading...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:29 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sorry, I guess that's a spoiler. But, you know... I did date the post?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm 
Intern
Intern

JohnSmith wrote:
Sorry, I guess that's a spoiler. But, you know... I did date the post?

You did, but I grew tires of waiting and wanted at least a hint.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Hah, given how long it takes to get the comic I have sympathy!

Something is seriously wrong with that server.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Works fine for me.

. . . possibly because it's still faster than this electronic coprolite . . .

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:57 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Well, it's up now, and official: Captains Foxworthy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

Nah, she wants to train them to always be on their toes.

...page is still not loading...

Keep them on their toes is not a reason for no communication. It's only training if they know it IS training and not THE SHIP DYING AROUND THEM just because she decided that it's explosions day.

Elf has shown to us the readers excellent troop command abilities but ZERO actual ship command skills, and in fact, has shown us that she is in no way fit for her own command, what with altering devices made by not only the superior officer BUT THE CHIEF TECHNOLOGIST AND ENGINEER without telling ANYBODY, her alteration of the assault plan just because she wanted to get stuck in, and her indiscriminate destruction of a CRIME SCENE because she was too impatient to listen to anybody else.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:12 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Commodore Tagon's gonna hve to figure something out unless he wants to play 'Who's On First' every time he needs to give Kevyn or Elf an order. Maybe Kevyn will end up taking his last name back now that he's not trying to awkwardly step around the authority differential between them.

Quote:
Elf has shown to us the readers excellent troop command abilities but ZERO actual ship command skills, and in fact, has shown us that she is in no way fit for her own command, what with altering devices made by not only the superior officer BUT THE CHIEF TECHNOLOGIST AND ENGINEER without telling ANYBODY, her alteration of the assault plan just because she wanted to get stuck in, and her indiscriminate destruction of a CRIME SCENE because she was too impatient to listen to anybody else.

This is Tagon's Toughs we're talking about. Murtaugh is the only one among the current captains who's out-and-out captain material. Kaff's been one of the shortest fuses among the officers since the beginning, and while we haven't seen a lot of Kevyn as a captain, he spent most of his time as a commander developing tech, which hardly translates into leadership skills. Sure, Elf has a propensity for off-the-cuff maneuvers that rivals Kaff's, but she's hardly worse than the other three. And it's foolish to base her qualifications on how she acts when she's fighting a foe that's overwhelmingly outgunned.

If anything, the promotion should cause Elf to level out a bit. It's been implied throughout the years (particularly in Books 8 and 15) that Elf's got a lot of frustration tied to not having her skill acknowledged. Getting official recognition might lead her to act out less because she's no longer trying to prove herself to everybody, including herself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

So how will they keep them straight? "Captain A/E Foxworthy"? Or will they stick to Kevyn/Elf most of the time? Also "Captains Foxworthy" might be a thing at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:01 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Yarrun wrote:
Commodore Tagon's gonna hve to figure something out unless he wants to play 'Who's On First' every time he needs to give Kevyn or Elf an order. Maybe Kevyn will end up taking his last name back now that he's not trying to awkwardly step around the authority differential between them.

Quote:

This is Tagon's Toughs we're talking about. Murtaugh is the only one among the current captains who's out-and-out captain material. Kaff's been one of the shortest fuses among the officers since the beginning, and while we haven't seen a lot of Kevyn as a captain, he spent most of his time as a commander developing tech, which hardly translates into leadership skills. Sure, Elf has a propensity for off-the-cuff maneuvers that rivals Kaff's, but she's hardly worse than the other three. And it's foolish to base her qualifications on how she acts when she's fighting a foe that's overwhelmingly outgunned.

If anything, the promotion should cause Elf to level out a bit. It's been implied throughout the years (particularly in Books 8 and 15) that Elf's got a lot of frustration tied to not having her skill acknowledged. Getting official recognition might lead her to act out less because she's no longer trying to prove herself to everybody, including herself.

While I agree that Kevyn being a captain is rather unusual, as it takes valuable time away from his tinkering AND uses completely different skillset, I disagree with your opinion that Kaff is not a good captain. Yes, Kaff can be impulsive, but he demonstrated his skill in STS combat multiple times, as well as his skills in CQB and HTH, both of which earn him measure of respect among troops. Furthermore, Kaff is aware of his shortcomings, which IMO is one of the most important traits leader needs. Good leader knows when to delegate tasks to other, more suited or skilled people. Furthermore, I can't recall Kaff putting pride before getting the job done with minimal casualties.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

As for Kevyn in command, he's done pretty well in general. Not least because having a mad scientist in charge scares the grunts into line. WHY he does it is another question, but I suspect the answer is "He likes having a purpose for his tinkering," and being a mercenary captain gives him a very violent outlet.

He did grow up playing with explosives instead of fire, after all, and carries several grams of antimatter at neck-level.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:54 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:

While I agree that Kevyn being a captain is rather unusual, as it takes valuable time away from his tinkering AND uses completely different skillset, I disagree with your opinion that Kaff is not a good captain. Yes, Kaff can be impulsive, but he demonstrated his skill in STS combat multiple times, as well as his skills in CQB and HTH, both of which earn him measure of respect among troops. Furthermore, Kaff is aware of his shortcomings, which IMO is one of the most important traits leader needs. Good leader knows when to delegate tasks to other, more suited or skilled people. Furthermore, I can't recall Kaff putting pride before getting the job done with minimal casualties.

And this is also a mercenary company to remember. In a military chain of command, your options with a bad commander are either "put up with it and mitigate damage" or "Lodge protests with rocket launchers".

As a mercenary company, his troops can just take off. It takes a lot of skill to be a good mercenary captain.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
Yarrun wrote:

Quote:

Never meant to say that Kaff's a bad captain. Merely meant that he's done a lot of stuff that, if he was up for promotion in a less informal company, would probably ruffle some feathers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:03 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Kevyn isn't a military captain, he's the captain of a support ship, he's chief technologist of the company. He's only a Captain/Commander because it's the most suitable rank for chief technologist and support ship commander, along with his seniority.

The real question is why she was assigned to his ship in the first place, unless she WANTED to be assigned there. Possibly because he had the newest tech and would be using the new gear first.

Also, better than they found it, so she's going to fix what she broke in her impatience?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:05 am 
Intern
Intern

it will be a learning experience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:18 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Captain Kevyn did save the galaxy in general and the company in particular.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:54 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

(name here) wrote:
Captain Kevyn did save the galaxy in general and the company in particular.

I would argue that saving the galaxy, while laudable, is not actually a good indicator of command ability. He saved the galaxy using future knowledge and science. Not by using clever tactics or leadership.