The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:01 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

I'm going to guess it's a memory polymer that self assembles?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:49 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Honestly I don't know why something like that wasn't their first choice. Para is a robotics expert. Why didn't she build a robotic medkit assembler or even a self assembling medkit. I mean they're going to need 60,000 of these things. No one is going to want to build that many. Or if they don't need enough for every person they at least need enough that they chose the self assembly option instead of just making a prebuilt medcoffin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:56 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

We know that the nannies can do all of this without outside help, up to a point, if the designer wishes it.

I suppose that they left this out of the generally available nannies because having the ability to self repair would likely result in extreme carelessness, eg shoot someone to get their attention, using the "close your eyes and floor it" driving technique popularized by Dilbert's pointy haired boss.

This way, people will at least try to be careful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:30 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

The nannies can do this without outside assistance as long as they have enough material to work with. By the end of Kevyn's adventure he was smaller and missing parts. I bet if someone got stabbed in the stomach and had this nannie package they wouldn't have to go to the doctor. But if they get a limb shot off then they're going to need to get replacement materials somewhere. And given that all these people died in an explosion they're probably all missing parts.

So I figure these kits are supposed to supply raw materials and power to the nannies. And possibly also provide additional checks to make sure the nannies aren't corrupted and doing their jobs properly. They're probably not all in the same state. Some might be nearly pristine while others need to get data from the persons backups.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:38 am 
Intern
Intern

You probably also want to limit just how much autonomy they have to take major actions without outside oversight.

Imagine the situation where someone gets cut in half. Sure, it's POSSIBLE to have them autonomously capable of regenerating back to a whole person from this, but WHICH HALF should do this? Should both halves do this, thus resulting in there now being two people, with all the attendant legal problems this creates? No, it's probably best in such a situation that they perform only limited operations and just stabilize the patient until outside assistance arrives to stick them back together so they stay as one person.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:21 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
You probably also want to limit just how much autonomy they have to take major actions without outside oversight.

Imagine the situation where someone gets cut in half. Sure, it's POSSIBLE to have them autonomously capable of regenerating back to a whole person from this, but WHICH HALF should do this? Should both halves do this, thus resulting in there now being two people, with all the attendant legal problems this creates? No, it's probably best in such a situation that they perform only limited operations and just stabilize the patient until outside assistance arrives to stick them back together so they stay as one person.

You could have the nanites communicate. If there's more then one viable piece they simply decide between them which one to regenerate from. They can also determine whether or not any pieces that are out of communication for any reason might be viable based off of what's missing. Of course if you are talking about missing pieces and even suggesting that 2 or more pieces could be viable then you are going to need some raw material and it might not make sense to have the nanites try and do anything by themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:47 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:

Might I remind you that General Lardchins was able to regenerate, despite lacking a head, AND being bisected about the middle.
Granted, Xinchub did have a fairly plentiful reservoir of spare mass to regenerate from.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:32 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

The "damn the torpedoes, regenerate!" function seemed to be tied to the "runt supersoldier" function. Petey cut all that out to make them safe for general use - the massive restructuring capability seemed to be a security hole that allowed for remote hijacking. I wouldn't be surprised if these ones can't do much restructuring at all, aside from recording the brain into skin and bones.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:56 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
The "damn the torpedoes, regenerate!" function seemed to be tied to the "runt supersoldier" function. Petey cut all that out to make them safe for general use - the massive restructuring capability seemed to be a security hole that allowed for remote hijacking. I wouldn't be surprised if these ones can't do much restructuring at all, aside from recording the brain into skin and bones.

I don't think the restructuring capabilities were the security hole. It was being able to remotely access the read/write functions of the memory storage that was a problem. The restructuring just allowed hackers to give themselves weapons once they were in place. Which of course you also want to remove from general consumption.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:52 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I just mean that rewriting the brain is a gross structural change, same as the weapons packages and armoured, vacuum capable unit. If you want one, the other seems likely to also be possible. If you want to make sure that rewriting the brain is impossible, you couldn't really keep the other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:33 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

JohnSmith wrote:
I just mean that rewriting the brain is a gross structural change, same as the weapons packages and armoured, vacuum capable unit. If you want one, the other seems likely to also be possible. If you want to make sure that rewriting the brain is impossible, you couldn't really keep the other.

Accessing and recoding neurons is inherent in the memory backup process. Neural networks are a completely different type of structure from armor and weapons. I could easily see needing two separate systems to handle both. In fact having one system that could do both would be tough. Remember that the Lazarus package was a whole bunch of different systems that they combined into one package.

We also have clear proof that armor/weapons package is separate from the memory hack. Here where Mako regrets not having the "morph package".

I could easily see being able to give someone a morph package that could say armor their skin, or give them a gun, but not be able to do anything with their nervous system. I probably wouldn't because its easier to just give them a gun and armor than make them grow it from their own body, but it might be useful for some kind of wetworks spy.

Edit: Back on the main point I was reading through the archives and got to where Ebby was resurrected. Here we can see that there is considerations of mass needed to resurrect and also that the doctors need to monitor them while its happening. So basically what they're trying to do is what Bunnigus did to Ebby 60,000 times.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:37 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

You don't have to recode neurons to back up data into the skin and bones. You READ data to make a backup. Rewriting brains (or repairing massive trauma to fix the brain you've got) is a gross (that is, large) anatomical change, just like the weapons packages. We haven't seen the new longevity nannies do any of that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:04 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

...I think the apparatus needs to be a little bit more user friendly than that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:

Actually, it looks like the device may be overly user-friendly.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:11 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Black Sheep wrote:
grahamf wrote:

User-intimate?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:46 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
grahamf wrote:

User-intimate?

:lol:

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:38 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
grahamf wrote:

User-intimate?

It just wants to give hugs. Full body immersion hugs...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:40 am 
Intern
Intern

Sean wrote:
Might I remind you that General Lardchins was able to regenerate, despite lacking a head, AND being bisected about the middle.
Granted, Xinchub did have a fairly plentiful reservoir of spare mass to regenerate from.

But his pieces were reunited. Imagine the situation which could have resulted had both separate pieces decided to rebuild a new Xinchub on their own.