The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The assumption that "motive to blow it up" and "owns a long gun" need to have an intersection is questionable. Someone could own a long gun, and fired it for no apparent reason.

In other words, Petey is assuming that people with long guns are reasonable, rational actors.

The intersection of "owns a long gun" and "reasonable, rational" is probably empty.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 am 
Carnie
Carnie

keybounce wrote:
The intersection of "owns a long gun" and "reasonable, rational" is probably empty.

Ahhh... at the moment I'm pretty sure it has at least three groups in it.

Petey, LOTA, and Chinook/NeoOfans.

I'm not sure where the UNS falls on your 'rational/irrational' axis.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:54 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
The assumption that "motive to blow it up" and "owns a long gun" need to have an intersection is questionable. Someone could own a long gun, and fired it for no apparent reason.

In other words, Petey is assuming that people with long guns are reasonable, rational actors.

No APPARENT reason is still a reason.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:51 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

keybounce wrote:

Nah, but it's generally not reasonable or rational to fire it at people without a firm cover story.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am 
Intern
Intern

keybounce wrote:

You've kind of got a point there. Imagine the Joker with a long gun. 8O He'd be firing it just to see the pretty explosions...oh wait, that's a reason, albeit a somewhat deranged one.

But IMO it's probably safe to assume for story purposes that whoever blew up Petey's ship isn't certifiably insane. They'll have at least a somewhat rational reason for their actions. What that is will be what must be discovered.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

macnut wrote:
But IMO it's probably safe to assume for story purposes that whoever blew up Petey's ship isn't certifiably insane. They'll have at least a somewhat rational reason for their actions. What that is will be what must be discovered.

The ship with the name "Razor of Unmitigated Severance" wasn't Petey's ship. That's the ship detonating here https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:52 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Has motive -- anyone that has ever met a member of that race, to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:07 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Yes, but the group of people known to have long guns are also a group that's more likely to let Petey try and ease the Ob'enn leadership towards being less xenophobic and more willing to try genuine diplomacy. They're also a group who doesn't want things to devolve into the sort of cold war that open use of long guns would cause.

Which means that there's a data point missing here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:57 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Doug Lampert wrote:
macnut wrote:

The ship with the name "Razor of Unmitigated Severance" wasn't Petey's ship. That's the ship detonating here https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19.

Did anyone comment at the time how much that Ob'Enn superfortress looks like a turkey?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:26 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Bruce the Loon wrote:
Did anyone comment at the time how much that Ob'Enn superfortress looks like a turkey?

I don't remember any comment to that effect, but now that you mention it....

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:30 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
Yes, but the group of people known to have long guns are also a group that's more likely to let Petey try and ease the Ob'enn leadership towards being less xenophobic and more willing to try genuine diplomacy. They're also a group who doesn't want things to devolve into the sort of cold war that open use of long guns would cause.

The only motive I can see is a desire to see the war continue. AllStar's (Putzho's) former employers would be the first party to check to see if they have managed to develop a long gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

So Petey hasn't yet figured out that Razor was the second target of the unknown long gun?

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-09-18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:53 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Sean wrote:

The only motive I can see is a desire to see the war continue. AllStar's (Putzho's) former employers would be the first party to check to see if they have managed to develop a long gun.

Managed? They've probably had long guns for longer than every other current species has existed. They certainly recognized what they were when checking up on the rest of the galaxy, and frankly once you get the ability to open wormholes, which you need for FTL in this setting, long guns are a natural extension. It seems like the hardest part is realizing its possible.

That said they're also the least likely to actually use them. They seem to have an extreme aversion to interacting with everyone else, and if they wanted to use their long guns to do so they probably would have opened up on everyone at once. Or at least used a shot to kill the data vault remotely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

DancesWithBikers wrote:
So Petey hasn't yet figured out that Razor was the second target of the unknown long gun?

Not all good luck is enemy action and not all explosions are made by unknown long guns. Unless we have someone around saying they're stumped at why it exploded, it's probably something else, like poor workmanship or sabotage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Sean wrote:

Managed? They've probably had long guns for longer than every other current species has existed. They certainly recognized what they were when checking up on the rest of the galaxy, and frankly once you get the ability to open wormholes, which you need for FTL in this setting, long guns are a natural extension. It seems like the hardest part is realizing its possible.

That said they're also the least likely to actually use them. They seem to have an extreme aversion to interacting with everyone else, and if they wanted to use their long guns to do so they probably would have opened up on everyone at once. Or at least used a shot to kill the data vault remotely.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant Putzho's former employer, the weapons manufacturer, Urtheep Industries, not the All Star.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
DancesWithBikers wrote:

Not all good luck is enemy action and not all explosions are made by unknown long guns. Unless we have someone around saying they're stumped at why it exploded, it's probably something else, like poor workmanship or sabotage.

Or we have Howard pointing it out in a Facebook comment a while back. :-)

It took a little digging to find it, but here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372714 ... 652074757/

Oh, just in case someone doesn't do FB (I wouldn't blame you):

Howard Tayler "Short version: you're confused, because you have no context (yet) for the information presented. Similarly, you had no context for the information presented in the very first strips in this book.

Oh... wait. Maybe you DO have context now."

The comment is on this strip: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

DancesWithBikers wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
DancesWithBikers wrote:

Or we have Howard pointing it out in a Facebook comment a while back. :-)

It took a little digging to find it, but here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372714 ... 652074757/

Oh, just in case someone doesn't do FB (I wouldn't blame you):

Howard Tayler "Short version: you're confused, because you have no context (yet) for the information presented. Similarly, you had no context for the information presented in the very first strips in this book.

Oh... wait. Maybe you DO have context now."

The comment is on this strip: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19

All I see is "OK. I'm confused ."

Incidentally, this forum does not seem to handle emoji

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

GameFreak4321 wrote:
All I see is "OK. I'm confused ."

Incidentally, this forum does not seem to handle emoji
Click the comments button under "I'm confused"

And, fair enough! There may be a link!