The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm
Posts: 396
The assumption that "motive to blow it up" and "owns a long gun" need to have an intersection is questionable. Someone could own a long gun, and fired it for no apparent reason.

In other words, Petey is assuming that people with long guns are reasonable, rational actors.

The intersection of "owns a long gun" and "reasonable, rational" is probably empty.

_________________
I hope Para never plays with Tenzy. The result would be terrifying.
Para and Petey need to have some dialog together. Just because.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 am 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2507
keybounce wrote:
The intersection of "owns a long gun" and "reasonable, rational" is probably empty.

Ahhh... at the moment I'm pretty sure it has at least three groups in it.

Petey, LOTA, and Chinook/NeoOfans.

I'm not sure where the UNS falls on your 'rational/irrational' axis.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:54 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 367
keybounce wrote:
The assumption that "motive to blow it up" and "owns a long gun" need to have an intersection is questionable. Someone could own a long gun, and fired it for no apparent reason.

In other words, Petey is assuming that people with long guns are reasonable, rational actors.

The intersection of "owns a long gun" and "reasonable, rational" is probably empty.


No APPARENT reason is still a reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:51 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 166
keybounce wrote:
The intersection of "owns a long gun" and "reasonable, rational" is probably empty.

Nah, but it's generally not reasonable or rational to fire it at people without a firm cover story.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:55 pm
Posts: 1299
Location: City of Brotherly Love
keybounce wrote:
The assumption that "motive to blow it up" and "owns a long gun" need to have an intersection is questionable. Someone could own a long gun, and fired it for no apparent reason.

In other words, Petey is assuming that people with long guns are reasonable, rational actors.

The intersection of "owns a long gun" and "reasonable, rational" is probably empty.


You've kind of got a point there. Imagine the Joker with a long gun. 8O He'd be firing it just to see the pretty explosions...oh wait, that's a reason, albeit a somewhat deranged one.

But IMO it's probably safe to assume for story purposes that whoever blew up Petey's ship isn't certifiably insane. They'll have at least a somewhat rational reason for their actions. What that is will be what must be discovered.

_________________
The MacNut
Artist and writer of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero comic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm 
Offline
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 270
macnut wrote:
But IMO it's probably safe to assume for story purposes that whoever blew up Petey's ship isn't certifiably insane. They'll have at least a somewhat rational reason for their actions. What that is will be what must be discovered.


The ship with the name "Razor of Unmitigated Severance" wasn't Petey's ship. That's the ship detonating here https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:52 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:18 pm
Posts: 43
Has motive -- anyone that has ever met a member of that race, to be honest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:07 am 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:28 pm
Posts: 71
Yes, but the group of people known to have long guns are also a group that's more likely to let Petey try and ease the Ob'enn leadership towards being less xenophobic and more willing to try genuine diplomacy. They're also a group who doesn't want things to devolve into the sort of cold war that open use of long guns would cause.

Which means that there's a data point missing here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:57 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:35 am
Posts: 110
Doug Lampert wrote:
macnut wrote:
But IMO it's probably safe to assume for story purposes that whoever blew up Petey's ship isn't certifiably insane. They'll have at least a somewhat rational reason for their actions. What that is will be what must be discovered.


The ship with the name "Razor of Unmitigated Severance" wasn't Petey's ship. That's the ship detonating here https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19.

Did anyone comment at the time how much that Ob'Enn superfortress looks like a turkey?

_________________
Proud driver of the Gruel-Retriever LVSR and uncertified gruel thief.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:26 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 773
Bruce the Loon wrote:
Did anyone comment at the time how much that Ob'Enn superfortress looks like a turkey?


I don't remember any comment to that effect, but now that you mention it....

_________________
I used to be Junius Gallio, until I messed up retyping my password in the Great Password Reset. Nice to be back.

" I gotta stop doing mathematics while sober."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:30 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 412
Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
Yes, but the group of people known to have long guns are also a group that's more likely to let Petey try and ease the Ob'enn leadership towards being less xenophobic and more willing to try genuine diplomacy. They're also a group who doesn't want things to devolve into the sort of cold war that open use of long guns would cause.

Which means that there's a data point missing here.


The only motive I can see is a desire to see the war continue. AllStar's (Putzho's) former employers would be the first party to check to see if they have managed to develop a long gun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:24 pm
Posts: 163
Location: The Land Bountiful
So Petey hasn't yet figured out that Razor was the second target of the unknown long gun?

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-09-18


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:53 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 580
Sean wrote:
Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
Yes, but the group of people known to have long guns are also a group that's more likely to let Petey try and ease the Ob'enn leadership towards being less xenophobic and more willing to try genuine diplomacy. They're also a group who doesn't want things to devolve into the sort of cold war that open use of long guns would cause.

Which means that there's a data point missing here.


The only motive I can see is a desire to see the war continue. AllStar's (Putzho's) former employers would be the first party to check to see if they have managed to develop a long gun.


Managed? They've probably had long guns for longer than every other current species has existed. They certainly recognized what they were when checking up on the rest of the galaxy, and frankly once you get the ability to open wormholes, which you need for FTL in this setting, long guns are a natural extension. It seems like the hardest part is realizing its possible.

That said they're also the least likely to actually use them. They seem to have an extreme aversion to interacting with everyone else, and if they wanted to use their long guns to do so they probably would have opened up on everyone at once. Or at least used a shot to kill the data vault remotely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 573
DancesWithBikers wrote:
So Petey hasn't yet figured out that Razor was the second target of the unknown long gun?

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-09-18
Not all good luck is enemy action and not all explosions are made by unknown long guns. Unless we have someone around saying they're stumped at why it exploded, it's probably something else, like poor workmanship or sabotage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 412
Arcanestomper wrote:
Sean wrote:
Pencil-Crayon_Phoenix wrote:
Yes, but the group of people known to have long guns are also a group that's more likely to let Petey try and ease the Ob'enn leadership towards being less xenophobic and more willing to try genuine diplomacy. They're also a group who doesn't want things to devolve into the sort of cold war that open use of long guns would cause.

Which means that there's a data point missing here.


The only motive I can see is a desire to see the war continue. AllStar's (Putzho's) former employers would be the first party to check to see if they have managed to develop a long gun.


Managed? They've probably had long guns for longer than every other current species has existed. They certainly recognized what they were when checking up on the rest of the galaxy, and frankly once you get the ability to open wormholes, which you need for FTL in this setting, long guns are a natural extension. It seems like the hardest part is realizing its possible.

That said they're also the least likely to actually use them. They seem to have an extreme aversion to interacting with everyone else, and if they wanted to use their long guns to do so they probably would have opened up on everyone at once. Or at least used a shot to kill the data vault remotely.


I think you misunderstood me. I meant Putzho's former employer, the weapons manufacturer, Urtheep Industries, not the All Star.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:24 pm
Posts: 163
Location: The Land Bountiful
Reaver225 wrote:
DancesWithBikers wrote:
So Petey hasn't yet figured out that Razor was the second target of the unknown long gun?

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-09-18
Not all good luck is enemy action and not all explosions are made by unknown long guns. Unless we have someone around saying they're stumped at why it exploded, it's probably something else, like poor workmanship or sabotage.


Or we have Howard pointing it out in a Facebook comment a while back. :-)

It took a little digging to find it, but here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372714 ... 652074757/


Oh, just in case someone doesn't do FB (I wouldn't blame you):

Howard Tayler "Short version: you're confused, because you have no context (yet) for the information presented. Similarly, you had no context for the information presented in the very first strips in this book.

Oh... wait. Maybe you DO have context now."

The comment is on this strip: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 166
DancesWithBikers wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
DancesWithBikers wrote:
So Petey hasn't yet figured out that Razor was the second target of the unknown long gun?

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-09-18
Not all good luck is enemy action and not all explosions are made by unknown long guns. Unless we have someone around saying they're stumped at why it exploded, it's probably something else, like poor workmanship or sabotage.


Or we have Howard pointing it out in a Facebook comment a while back. :-)

It took a little digging to find it, but here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372714 ... 652074757/


Oh, just in case someone doesn't do FB (I wouldn't blame you):

Howard Tayler "Short version: you're confused, because you have no context (yet) for the information presented. Similarly, you had no context for the information presented in the very first strips in this book.

Oh... wait. Maybe you DO have context now."

The comment is on this strip: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19


All I see is "OK. I'm confused ."

Incidentally, this forum does not seem to handle emoji

_________________
Someday... Someday a gun that shoots knitting patterns will be a useful thing to have. I can be patient.

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 573
GameFreak4321 wrote:
All I see is "OK. I'm confused ."

Incidentally, this forum does not seem to handle emoji
Click the comments button under "I'm confused"

And, fair enough! There may be a link!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group