The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:04 pm 
Intern
Intern

To be fair, having Chinook validate all her long guns to ensure that they are responding correctly might be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
To be fair, having Chinook validate all her long guns to ensure that they are responding correctly might be helpful.

Good point . . .

And the set "owns a long gun" should be expanded to "Owns or can access a long gun".

Methinks Chinook should audit the firing records too.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:15 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

To be entirely honest I think I would trust Petey with those long guns more than Chinook. It's not that I think Chinook isn't trustworthy. So much as the fact that Petey has a significantly better track record.

Someone should probably check up on Lota too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

We still don't know what was being negotiated or who was doing the negotiating when the O'benn ship was blowed up.

Not enough data to speculate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:58 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

rleggett wrote:
We still don't know what was being negotiated or who was doing the negotiating when the O'benn ship was blowed up.

Not enough data to speculate.

We know that the O'benn were going to come to terms with some faction that they clearly outclassed, or at least they were deliberately giving the appearance that they were going to do so.

That doesn't do much to narrow down our list of suspects, but I doubt any other information about their intended meeting will either. Not unless some very specific details show up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:26 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

sotanaht wrote:
We know that the O'benn were going to come to terms with some faction that they clearly outclassed, or at least they were deliberately giving the appearance that they were going to do so.

Going by the naming convention of the two ships, they were both O'benn, Possibly rival factions.

Or another race trying to suck up a bit by 'following' O'benn naming conventions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:39 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Going by the naming convention of the two ships, they were both O'benn, Possibly rival factions.

Or another race trying to suck up a bit by 'following' O'benn naming conventions.

I figured the other party to be the Kssthrata.
I know, they managed to escape, en mass, to another planet, but that was still the impression I had.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Honestly I don't think the Kssthrata would follow the naming conventions of the species they were locked in genocidal war with for centuries.

Really I'm not sure who would be negotiating with the Ob'enn like that. It's a question of what do the Ob'enn have that some one else would want. Normally this would include not being crushed under the Ob'enn war fleet, but Petey seems to have them locked down well enough that that isn't a concern. And other than that the only thing the Ob'enn seem to have is an extravagant amount of PTUs, and they seem too homicidal to sell their strategic supplies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Arcanestomper wrote:
...Petey seems to have them locked down well enough that that isn't a concern.

Which is why I suspect this was a meeting of rival factions within the O'Benn polity.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:08 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

You know what. I wonder if this is an Ob'enn long gun. They did have access to that weapon depot. Even if it was destroyed a few things might have survived well enough for them to build their own.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:44 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
You know what. I wonder if this is an Ob'enn long gun. They did have access to that weapon depot. Even if it was destroyed a few things might have survived well enough for them to build their own.

Now that would be once heck of a mess.

I'm actually wondering about the Schuul since it has 2 books since the last segment of that plotline.

The guys who designed the 30 inch sniper rifle need to step up their game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:18 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
To be entirely honest I think I would trust Petey with those long guns more than Chinook. It's not that I think Chinook isn't trustworthy. So much as the fact that Petey has a significantly better track record.

Petey, who genocided several fleets worth of her creator via several methods including suicide, or Chinook, who nonfatally injured one of her previous allies and destroyed a hostile force trying to kill her?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:46 am 
Intern
Intern

Sean wrote:
I know, they managed to escape, en mass, to another planet, but that was still the impression I had.

I don't think they'd want to negotiate, seeing as, as far as the O'benn are concerned, they're dead as their homeworld was nuked into glass. Given that the O'benn are contained within their region of space by Petey, it seems like the Kssthrata would not wish to correct the record and would be best served by allowing the O'benn to continue to believe they are dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:01 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
Sean wrote:

I don't think they'd want to negotiate, seeing as, as far as the O'benn are concerned, they're dead as their homeworld was nuked into glass. Given that the O'benn are contained within their region of space by Petey, it seems like the Kssthrata would not wish to correct the record and would be best served by allowing the O'benn to continue to believe they are dead.

The O'Benn do not believe they are dead. If you read the notes under the strips, the Kssthrata, or one of their number, published their exploit to a military periodical.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Reaver225 wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

Petey, who genocided several fleets worth of her creator via several methods including suicide, or Chinook, who nonfatally injured one of her previous allies and destroyed a hostile force trying to kill her?

As far as I remember, Petey went to great lengths to preserve the lives of the people on those fleets he "genocided." His track record stands better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:46 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Motor tiki wrote:

As far as I remember, Petey went to great lengths to preserve the lives of the people on those fleets he "genocided." His track record stands better.
That only started after he became the fleet mind, wasn't it? I remember he definitely did suicide bomb a ship full of OBenn with the scrapyard of insufferable arrogance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
Motor tiki wrote:

That only started after he became the fleet mind, wasn't it? I remember he definitely did suicide bomb a ship full of OBenn with the scrapyard of insufferable arrogance.

Actually, the Scrapyard was evacuated, and the two main ships had their primary Annies taken out with precise strikes, then the TOUGHS were hired to clear the ships.

If you're talking about when he blew up the PDCL, that wasn't the altruistic version of him, that was his insane shipboard AI "fork".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:42 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Kendrakirai wrote:
Reaver225 wrote:
Motor tiki wrote:
Actually, the Scrapyard was evacuated, and the two main ships had their primary Annies taken out with precise strikes, then the TOUGHS were hired to clear the ships.

If you're talking about when he blew up the PDCL, that wasn't the altruistic version of him, that was his insane shipboard AI "fork".

O'Benn officer wrote:
The AI is feral! Nobody said anything about the AI being feral!