The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:32 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am
Posts: 588
Quote:
An observer with a hypernode is cheap, see the VDA. So you need to TAD the entire area out to your one-light second radius to have any chance of one light-second targetting delay.

You don't need to TAD out that far. You need to jam hyper nodes that far out, or more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:18 pm
Posts: 45
evileeyore wrote:
FrankNorman wrote:
This does not look good. If Kevyn was on that ship, they might need to make a new one.

Well of course they have to make a new ship. It was blown up...


What?


A new Kevin. They can do that. But it won't be particularly quick.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:58 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1288
rwstyles wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
FrankNorman wrote:
This does not look good. If Kevyn was on that ship, they might need to make a new one.

Well of course they have to make a new ship. It was blown up...


What?


A new Kevin. They can do that. But it won't be particularly quick.

After this I expect Petey to start keeping Kevyns in the refridgerator. Whenever he dies Petey can just pop it in the microwave and load the latest backup.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:40 am 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2564
rwstyles wrote:
A new Kevin. They can do that. But it won't be particularly quick.

Bah, there's still a Kevyn running around. We don't need another one*, but that ship was cool.



* Elf might disagree. She seems to prefer her version over K-Prime for some reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 am 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:35 am
Posts: 110
evileeyore wrote:
rwstyles wrote:
A new Kevin. They can do that. But it won't be particularly quick.

Bah, there's still a Kevyn running around. We don't need another one*, but that ship was cool.

* Elf might disagree. She seems to prefer her version over K-Prime for some reason.

Now you got me picturing them decanting the new Kevyn right as the original arrives having survived somehow, and as realization slowly dawns on the watchers, comments ranging from "Definitely no threesomes" to "Oh God, there's three of them now."

_________________
Proud driver of the Gruel-Retriever LVSR and uncertified gruel thief.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:10 pm 
Offline
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 120
Ynkstayned wrote:
Hi folks! I've spent a long time reading Schlock (and this forum), but this is my first time commenting:

The first thing I'd like to say: The instantaneous obliteration of Kevyn's new ship - that's just a little earth-shaking...
"Survivor free" sounds pretty grim too - though (stretching a bit), it may refer to the state of the ship alone, sans crew... Nah - that sounds more like my wishful thinking, really.

Well, as he was in the brig of Maxim 39, I suppose this is one way for Shiplord Srabben to avoid trial...

Ynkstayned, welcome to the forum! Please report to the Armory to be issued a weapon. You never know when a forum war will start up, and you don't want to be unarmed when it happens :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2564
Bruce the Loon wrote:
"Oh God, there's three of them now."

And lo the final herald horn blared and the last seal was broken and the end times were upon us...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:36 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 531
Location: Cape Town
The best defense would be a way to block wormholes of the sort used by long guns. Say if the ship could surround itself in a bubble of space from which all the dark matter that FTL effects seem to depend on in the Schlockverse had been excluded.
The downside is that communications would also have to be limited to light-speed, and the enemy could still open a wormhole outside your bubble but pointing at you - but then it would also be outside of your shields.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 642
FrankNorman wrote:
The best defense would be a way to block wormholes of the sort used by long guns. Say if the ship could surround itself in a bubble of space from which all the dark matter that FTL effects seem to depend on in the Schlockverse had been excluded.
The downside is that communications would also have to be limited to light-speed, and the enemy could still open a wormhole outside your bubble but pointing at you - but then it would also be outside of your shields.


Schlockverse FTL doesn't use dark matter. We don't know what it uses really since it's never been explained, but apparently even a fairly small handbrain can do teraports, which implies it doesn't even really use exotic matter.

But we know it's not dark matter because the first time they started really theorizing about dark matter is when they first fought the Pa'nuri. If there FTL depended on it they would have known more going in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 756
Arcanestomper wrote:
FrankNorman wrote:
The best defense would be a way to block wormholes of the sort used by long guns. Say if the ship could surround itself in a bubble of space from which all the dark matter that FTL effects seem to depend on in the Schlockverse had been excluded.
The downside is that communications would also have to be limited to light-speed, and the enemy could still open a wormhole outside your bubble but pointing at you - but then it would also be outside of your shields.


Schlockverse FTL doesn't use dark matter. We don't know what it uses really since it's never been explained, but apparently even a fairly small handbrain can do teraports, which implies it doesn't even really use exotic matter.

But we know it's not dark matter because the first time they started really theorizing about dark matter is when they first fought the Pa'nuri. If there FTL depended on it they would have known more going in.

Teraporting does depend on dark matter. Which is probably what enables a small handbrain to do teraports, and also why it hurts the Pa'nuri.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline
Entertainment
Entertainment

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm
Posts: 642
Motortiki wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
FrankNorman wrote:
The best defense would be a way to block wormholes of the sort used by long guns. Say if the ship could surround itself in a bubble of space from which all the dark matter that FTL effects seem to depend on in the Schlockverse had been excluded.
The downside is that communications would also have to be limited to light-speed, and the enemy could still open a wormhole outside your bubble but pointing at you - but then it would also be outside of your shields.


Schlockverse FTL doesn't use dark matter. We don't know what it uses really since it's never been explained, but apparently even a fairly small handbrain can do teraports, which implies it doesn't even really use exotic matter.

But we know it's not dark matter because the first time they started really theorizing about dark matter is when they first fought the Pa'nuri. If there FTL depended on it they would have known more going in.

Teraporting does depend on dark matter. Which is probably what enables a small handbrain to do teraports, and also why it hurts the Pa'nuri.


A few things, first when he said depends on dark matter I thought it meant as part of the device, like neutronium in annie plants. This is more of a fundamental nature of the universe such as rocket orbits depending on gravity. It's like saying yes we can make an antigravity drive. We just need to move that planet out of the way first. Second it is not at all clear how exactly dark matter is needed and what it does. Yes, the space occupied by dark matter is contiguous with the space you can teraport to, but the actual link is not made clear in the footnote or anywhere else as far as I know. And well I can't blame Howard for not wanting to get into the details. Third interacting with this dark matter infused space required an entirely new universe to be spawned by a generator built out of the core of the galaxy.

So uh good luck getting that into something a ship can use without killing itself. You'll probably be a lot better off trying to figure how to apply TAD effects to larger wormholes. Which is not to say researching dark matter would not be useful to the process. There is probably a whole field of study here that can be applied and you won't know what it can do until it's studied. But it's also something that hasn't really been touched on in the comic, so I have my doubts on whether it will be the eventual solution.

Still fair enough, I had forgotten that dark matter does have a role in the process.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sean and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group