The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:42 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I wonder if another well hidden, pan collapse civilization thinks things are Destined to collapse and are either taking potshots in an attempt to change the course of impending doom. Or they are throwing random destruction at the wall and see if with enough randomization , this time everything doesn't go to hell.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:53 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

It's possible, but it seems a stretch when we have so many other possibilities among the factions already mentioned. The Schuul are my top pick given that they've repeatedly tried to mess things up for everybody else. But there's also the possibility of rogue UNS elements, gatekeeper remnants, Panuri agents, or even some other regular galactic power that got wind of the long guns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:27 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I’d suggest that the top suspects are people we know have long guns and have known history of instability; or new on the scene with hidden agendas.

Those would be Petey, Chinook, and Putzho.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:03 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
It's possible, but it seems a stretch when we have so many other possibilities among the factions already mentioned. The Schuul are my top pick given that they've repeatedly tried to mess things up for everybody else. But there's also the possibility of rogue UNS elements, gatekeeper remnants, Panuri agents, or even some other regular galactic power that got wind of the long guns.

I like the Schuul theory. My top two theories are that they either built a Long Gun back when Credomar was being founded, or that they're actually old enough to remember the last galactic civilization, 10 million years ago, and somehow still posses a long gun from that time period.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:24 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Krennson wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

I like the Schuul theory. My top two theories are that they either built a Long Gun back when Credomar was being founded, or that they're actually old enough to remember the last galactic civilization, 10 million years ago, and somehow still posses a long gun from that time period.

And there is a very interesting bit from the Planet Mercenary corebook (page 220 to be precise) related to that:
"Maps of Celeschul’s gravitational forces do show some subtle anomalies beneath Barschuum. Several explanations have been put forth, but the best of these is that the city was built atop a sunken starship. If this is the case, then that vessel is roughly the size of a Tricorn Battleplate, and the PTUs of the hull and power plants, which are much denser than the surrounding seabed, are responsible for the anomalies. Whatever it is, according to the age estimates of the coral and secreted-shell structures above it, the sunken vessel predates the current galactic civilization by at least ten million years."

With that and some other bits in the book it does definitely seem that the Schuul are likely to be survivors from the previous galactic cycle with the sort of tech that implies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:54 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Grashtel wrote:
Krennson wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

And there is a very interesting bit from the Planet Mercenary corebook (page 220 to be precise) related to that:
"Maps of Celeschul’s gravitational forces do show some subtle anomalies beneath Barschuum. Several explanations have been put forth, but the best of these is that the city was built atop a sunken starship. If this is the case, then that vessel is roughly the size of a Tricorn Battleplate, and the PTUs of the hull and power plants, which are much denser than the surrounding seabed, are responsible for the anomalies. Whatever it is, according to the age estimates of the coral and secreted-shell structures above it, the sunken vessel predates the current galactic civilization by at least ten million years."

With that and some other bits in the book it does definitely seem that the Schuul are likely to be survivors from the previous galactic cycle with the sort of tech that implies.

Last I checked we are only aware of one ancient species that used PTUs in their hulls...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:27 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Nah, lots of people use PTUs in their hulls. They just don't make their hulls out of PTUs, if that makes sense.

I forget who said it, but I think the quote was,

"Familiar stuff. Super stable post-transuranic elements."
"The stuff that makes up annie plants and high-end hullplates?"

My guess would be it's the very thin, very high-strength layer somewhere in the armour sandwich. The idea of using inches or feet of the stuff to make up your ENTIRE hull is crazy.

Besides, the end-war we know about involved people throwing little stars at big stars. EVERYBODY was probably making anything they could out of PTUs at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

I don't think Chinook started this war. But I'm afraid she'll try to finish it, and just make things worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:42 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

If this isn't resolved soon or if the rest of the Toughs die she'll definitely try to finish. She told Kevyn as much when he asked her about her plans. And as the owner of one of the largest long gun collections in the galaxy that might even be what the perpetrators are trying to goad her into doing.

That said there are new definitions of dead involved. I don't think she'll start a war on the galaxy if Kevyn is revived. Although given past comics she will attempt to execute whoever was responsible once she can get a target.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Arcanestomper wrote:
If this isn't resolved soon or if the rest of the Toughs die she'll definitely try to finish. She told Kevyn as much when he asked her about her plans. And as the owner of one of the largest long gun collections in the galaxy that might even be what the perpetrators are trying to goad her into doing. . . .

Presuming, of course, that they know she has any Long Guns . . .

It could also be someone who has independently invented the Long Gun and is trying to end the Final War before anyone can retaliate . . .

Things like that happen a lot . . . do you have any idea how close the Gray System came to being the Bell System?

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:56 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

FreeFlier wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
If this isn't resolved soon or if the rest of the Toughs die she'll definitely try to finish. She told Kevyn as much when he asked her about her plans. And as the owner of one of the largest long gun collections in the galaxy that might even be what the perpetrators are trying to goad her into doing. . . .
It could also be someone who has independently invented the Long Gun and is trying to end the Final War before anyone can retaliate . . .

That's not even remotely plausible. When you have WMDs and you intend to use them to start AND finish the last war you don't go around destroying random unimportant targets, that only tips off your hand. You immediately open with strikes on command centres and sweep enemy forces before they regroup and consolidate command chains. That being said, no one really has conventional forces to win galaxy wide last war (no, not even Petey, he's just closest to having enough resources, but closest in this case is still orders of magnitude too low).

If you want a RL comparison for this situation it's as if in 60s either US or SU decided to nuke random oil tanker on pacific ocean, or random village in Burkina Faso. Makes as much sense and has same chance of ending last war before it starts.

This are either homicidal test firings or deliberate attempt to cause M.A.D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sensible people with a reasonably accurate grasp of the situation do it that way . . . OTOH, pitch the pebble among the giants an let them kill each other.

--FreeFlier