The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:48 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I understand Chinook is about to cause the downfall of civilization, but why is proximity to her dangerous? Counterstrikes? Or just general instability?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:35 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Putzho is about to try and hack Chinook's memories so she doesn't destroy civilization. She might take offense to that, and her offense will probably have a wide blast radius.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:58 am 
Intern
Intern

Chainlynx wrote:
I understand Chinook is about to cause the downfall of civilization, but why is proximity to her dangerous? Counterstrikes? Or just general instability?

If seeing the gods watch tv is enough cause for concern, what happens when the avatar of the very ground starts to visibly flip her shit?

Plus she might actually incinerate them. who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

If she notices what they're doing, I imagine she's going to long-gun strike the spot. Better to lose the drone than get hacked, after all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Not to mention all her crypt spiders, and she controls the habitat's security systems. She has a lot of ways to make that area a death zone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
If she notices what they're doing, I imagine she's going to long-gun strike the spot. Better to lose the drone than get hacked, after all.

Looks like that might have just happened

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

A nice reminder that the backstop she's using for her personal indoor firing range is the stored memories of an entire extinct race of people, too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:04 pm 
Intern
Intern

I hope Tenzy was backed up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:35 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

JohnSmith wrote:
A nice reminder that the backstop she's using for her personal indoor firing range is the stored memories of an entire extinct race of people, too.

I just want to point out that we don't actually know if this shot was Chinook. It looks that way, but it could very well be the same gunner that took out the Maxim 39. As for WHY that gunner would aim for a bunch of AI drones, well the ships they've targeted so far have seemed pretty random as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:45 am 
Intern
Intern

sotanaht wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:

I just want to point out that we don't actually know if this shot was Chinook. It looks that way, but it could very well be the same gunner that took out the Maxim 39. As for WHY that gunner would aim for a bunch of AI drones, well the ships they've targeted so far have seemed pretty random as well.

I thought Chinook self-destructed her avatar in a fit of rage
http://www.feywinds.com/feywinds/fw291/
http://www.feywinds.com/feywinds/fw292/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:17 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Honestly I do not think this was a long gun shot. The acceleration happened in a second and long gun shots, while fast, are not instantaneous. It takes a bit for them to warm up. For that to be a long gun shot Chinook would have had to somehow instantly fire it on her own position.

I suppose it's possible, and if so long guns are a lot faster than I thought.

Also did anyone notice that the Maxim is still in the process of blowing up on the screen. This whole thing happened at crazy fast super intelligent AI speeds.

Edit: I just realized that might have been Petey's long gun shot. He had more time to anticipate this than Chinook and we know he has his own long guns. He may have decided to try and destroy the node spreading Chinook's craziness as a back up plan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:39 am 
Intern
Intern

Arcanestomper wrote:
Honestly I do not think this was a long gun shot. The acceleration happened in a second and long gun shots, while fast, are not instantaneous. It takes a bit for them to warm up. For that to be a long gun shot Chinook would have had to somehow instantly fire it on her own position.

Also did anyone notice that the Maxim is still in the process of blowing up on the screen. This whole thing happened at crazy fast super intelligent AI speeds.

Edit: I just realized that might have been Petey's long gun shot. He had more time to anticipate this than Chinook and we know he has his own long guns. He may have decided to try and destroy the node spreading Chinook's craziness as a back up plan.

...along with destroying the All-Star node that might be the only way to stop her?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:17 am 
Carnie
Carnie

I think people are missing all the very small things that went flying from the site (3 in total) and the one somewhat larger thing that went flying into it (check panel five a bit more closely).

[EDIT]
Also it looks there were 4 things remaining on the site immediately before the BOOM.
[/EDIT]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:28 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

grahamf wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

...along with destroying the All-Star node that might be the only way to stop her?

Things are happening very fast. If Putzho fails it may be necessary to shoot. Although I do admit that is kind of a flaky argument. We'll probably find out fairly soon.

evileeyore wrote:
I think people are missing all the very small things that went flying from the site (3 in total) and the one somewhat larger thing that went flying into it (check panel five a bit more closely).

[EDIT]
Also it looks there were 4 things remaining on the site immediately before the BOOM.
[/EDIT]

The three things flying away are Captain Landon, Colonel Mendenez, and Captain Sorlie. The comic explicitly explained what happened to them. The four things remaining would be Tenzy, Petey, Putcho, and Chinook. It did not explain the larger thing that was going in, but it looks like one of the airships people use to get around Eina-Afa.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:

Things are happening very fast. If Putzho fails it may be necessary to shoot. Although I do admit that is kind of a flaky argument. We'll probably find out fairly soon.

evileeyore wrote:

[EDIT]
[/EDIT]

The three things flying away are Captain Landon, Colonel Mendenez, and Captain Sorlie. The comic explicitly explained what happened to them. The four things remaining would be Tenzy, Petey, Putcho, and Chinook. It did not explain the larger thing that was going in, but it looks like one of the airships people use to get around Eina-Afa.

I think the four things are Petey, Putcho, Chinook, and one doomed big screen monitor. I'm pretty sure Tensey was one of the things flying off with a passenger. The other two, entering in frame one, would be for the other two passengers.
Also, this is one bear-node, one Putcho-node, and one Chinook-node. Presumably Putcho didn't leave all his brains in that node any more than Petey or Chinook did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I think the TV is a bit too far away to be in that cluster of dots, but then it's big enough to have its own dot if not, so that's probably just artistic representation.

And yeah these are all nodes. Putzho's mind currently lives in a supercruiser. The thing he's wearing is one of those size 4 mindframe avatars he requested.