The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:44 am 
Carnie
Carnie

I expected less 'explanations to the meat-glaciers' and more 'net-running' from Iafa...

Granted she can do both... but I expected the later to be done before the former commenced.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:43 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Yeah this is what bugs me too. With all the "meat is too slow" panic Petey's been in, the entire Chinook situation should have been resolved or escalated (depending on outcome) about ten thousand times over by now. It looked like it's been escalated, but now it seems Iafa hasn't even gotten around to poking around the mainframe at all. So I don't understand the panic and urgency. A pure Doylist explanation is obviously that the speed of time must depend on the speed of plot, and not the other way around.

Also, epileptic trees. Petey will be the final reason for the next galactic extinction, because "meat is too slow", so he'll force all civilization to upload somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:07 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Consider this. How long must she fight to win, or lose, the station? Perhaps the battle for the nodes is ongoing and has been for subjective decades, and she's still bringing the meat up to speed on the part they can actually see.

Granted, if the fight was that protracted, neither avatar should be wasting time, and cycles, talking to the meat, but Chinook is deranged.
What's Broken Wind's excuse? That, some time in the next ten million or so cycles, Karl Tagon might countermand his own order?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'm going for "Chinook contained, meat needs to be here to settle down the situation"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:43 pm 
Intern
Intern

Restless Soul wrote:
Yeah this is what bugs me too. With all the "meat is too slow" panic Petey's been in, the entire Chinook situation should have been resolved or escalated (depending on outcome) about ten thousand times over by now. It looked like it's been escalated, but now it seems Iafa hasn't even gotten around to poking around the mainframe at all. So I don't understand the panic and urgency. A pure Doylist explanation is obviously that the speed of time must depend on the speed of plot, and not the other way around.

Also, epileptic trees. Petey will be the final reason for the next galactic extinction, because "meat is too slow", so he'll force all civilization to upload somewhere.

I think she needs physical access, so they are in a state of "hurry up and wait."

She might need to rely on a tough physically pushing a button (or a three finger salute) on the mainframe or something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:19 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Yes, if Chinook is at all robust in her defense Iafa could try to break in for subjective centuries and make no progress. But getting physical access to the right bus and it would make all the difference.

After all if pure computing power was all that was needed Petey could have just ported in one of his own ships. Iafa's advantage lies in knowing what parts of the Eina-Afa mindscape correspond to which portions of the physical network.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
Yes, if Chinook is at all robust in her defense Iafa could try to break in for subjective centuries and make no progress. But getting physical access to the right bus and it would make all the difference.

After all if pure computing power was all that was needed Petey could have just ported in one of his own ships. Iafa's advantage lies in knowing what parts of the Eina-Afa mindscape correspond to which portions of the physical network.

I would have left a back door in place, carefully hidden so that the new inhabitant - Chinook - could not possibly find it.

First rule of AI back doors (not sure about exact noun here) - don't talk about it around the AI. End semi quote.

The All Star has had literally billions of years to tweak software. He should be able to do something. I still think that his "work fast" plan was to upload himself, or upload a Trojan.