The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:35 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:18 pm
Posts: 45
I'm impressed. Here we see evidence that the Uuplechan can be formidable, and not merely idiots like the pirate captain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:33 pm 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2564
rwstyles wrote:
I'm impressed. Here we see evidence that the Uuplechan can be formidable, and not merely idiots like the pirate captain.

The Uuplechan has already been shown respect for it's capacity simply by the fact that the Toughs are fleeing rather than continue the fight that Iafa and Alexia began.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 390
evileeyore wrote:
rwstyles wrote:
I'm impressed. Here we see evidence that the Uuplechan can be formidable, and not merely idiots like the pirate captain.

The Uuplechan has already been shown respect for it's capacity simply by the fact that the Toughs are fleeing rather than continue the fight that Iafa and Alexia began.

Misplaced respect. I don't believe for a second that they are the ones who fired the Long Gun, nor does it seem their military was any match for Breath Weapon. The captured prize ship however has absolutely no chance, but if it did it wouldn't have been left with the militia in the first place.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:53 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 474
Wait, are you talking about the engineer, or what? Because today's strip appears completely unrelated to anything the cats are doing.

And the engineer is an engineer. Para is a roboticist. She probably shouldn't have been working on the resurrection setup anyway.

Was there a hiccup where a different strip was shown or something?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:06 am 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 1185
He's probably a day behind the curve and talking about yesterday.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:07 am 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2564
Fishman wrote:
He's probably a day behind the curve and talking about yesterday.

You might want to check the post dates...


rwstyles was talking about the engineer and the Uuplechan as a whole (that they as a species aren't all dimwits like the two captains), I was inarticulately talking about the Uuplechan as a whole* (and the Uuplechan Defense Fleet more specifically**), and sotanaht mistook my gibberish a bit further...



* Which of course comes from posting in a rush as I run out the door for work.
** That Kaff is running rather than stand and fight the Uuplechan Navy, not that they give credence the Uuplechan Navy as having fired the Long Shot. Of course even if every Captain is incompetent and every ship as terrible as the one Elf has taken... that fleet vastly outnumbers Kaff's single Dragon-class cruiser and Elf's prize...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:22 am 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 am
Posts: 474
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
He's probably a day behind the curve and talking about yesterday.

You might want to check the post dates...


rwstyles was talking about the engineer and the Uuplechan as a whole (that they as a species aren't all dimwits like the two captains), I was inarticulately talking about the Uuplechan as a whole* (and the Uuplechan Defense Fleet more specifically**), and sotanaht mistook my gibberish a bit further...



* Which of course comes from posting in a rush as I run out the door for work.
** That Kaff is running rather than stand and fight the Uuplechan Navy, not that they give credence the Uuplechan Navy as having fired the Long Shot. Of course even if every Captain is incompetent and every ship as terrible as the one Elf has taken... that fleet vastly outnumbers Kaff's single Dragon-class cruiser and Elf's prize...



Ahhh, I see, it was a charlie foxtrot of poor wording and misunderstandings, got it. :)

But yeah, if every Uupaloopa was as dumb as the pirate captain, they never would have made it out of their gravity well, let alone into a starfaring species. Idiot georg is an outlier and should not have been counted, so to speak. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:05 pm 
Offline
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:18 pm
Posts: 45
Kendrakirai wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
He's probably a day behind the curve and talking about yesterday.

You might want to check the post dates...


rwstyles was talking about the engineer and the Uuplechan as a whole (that they as a species aren't all dimwits like the two captains), I was inarticulately talking about the Uuplechan as a whole* (and the Uuplechan Defense Fleet more specifically**), and sotanaht mistook my gibberish a bit further...



* Which of course comes from posting in a rush as I run out the door for work.
** That Kaff is running rather than stand and fight the Uuplechan Navy, not that they give credence the Uuplechan Navy as having fired the Long Shot. Of course even if every Captain is incompetent and every ship as terrible as the one Elf has taken... that fleet vastly outnumbers Kaff's single Dragon-class cruiser and Elf's prize...


Failed to include link to strip. Yes, yesterday's strip. 3/3/18


Ahhh, I see, it was a charlie foxtrot of poor wording and misunderstandings, got it. :)

But yeah, if every Uupaloopa was as dumb as the pirate captain, they never would have made it out of their gravity well, let alone into a starfaring species. Idiot georg is an outlier and should not have been counted, so to speak. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1288
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
He's probably a day behind the curve and talking about yesterday.

You might want to check the post dates...


rwstyles was talking about the engineer and the Uuplechan as a whole (that they as a species aren't all dimwits like the two captains), I was inarticulately talking about the Uuplechan as a whole* (and the Uuplechan Defense Fleet more specifically**), and sotanaht mistook my gibberish a bit further...



* Which of course comes from posting in a rush as I run out the door for work.
** That Kaff is running rather than stand and fight the Uuplechan Navy, not that they give credence the Uuplechan Navy as having fired the Long Shot. Of course even if every Captain is incompetent and every ship as terrible as the one Elf has taken... that fleet vastly outnumbers Kaff's single Dragon-class cruiser and Elf's prize...

They are technologically-wise behind the curve compared to the rest of the galaxy, meaning their engineers are probably smarter because they have to figure out everything themselves instead of having their technology tell them how to do it for them. Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
Carnie
Carnie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 2564
grahamf wrote:
Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?

Kev was surprised because he, like everyone else, thought Elf was too dim to be able to do what she did. That she did it after merely RTFM was beside the point (but yes that did come up, but he wasn't surprised that it could be done with the manual (which he admitted to never having read), but that she could do it).


Which began the spiral of their abusive relationship in which Elf constantly wins every argument (despite being wrong) because Kevyn feels pity that she never had a proper education.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline
Intern
Intern
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 1288
evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?

Kev was surprised because he, like everyone else, thought Elf was too dim to be able to do what she did. That she did it after merely RTFM was beside the point (but yes that did come up, but he wasn't surprised that it could be done with the manual (which he admitted to never having read), but that she could do it).


Which began the spiral of their abusive relationship in which Elf constantly wins every argument (despite being wrong) because Kevyn feels pity that she never had a proper education.

Isn't that just marriages in general?

Anyways my point is that with the latest Schlockian tech you don't need to have an advanced engineering education to make something, And just because Para is an expert at AIs she may be lacking on the hardware side. It stands to reason that a Uuple captain could have a strong engineering background and be really good at finding solutions that don't revolve around throwing fancy tech at the problem.


Honestly, just looking at the thing it stands to reason that it shouldn't be any more complicated to deploy than a Coleman tent.

_________________
Rule of thumb is that if you need to use a squeegee, they're at least Laz-4.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:10 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 447
grahamf wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?

Kev was surprised because he, like everyone else, thought Elf was too dim to be able to do what she did. That she did it after merely RTFM was beside the point (but yes that did come up, but he wasn't surprised that it could be done with the manual (which he admitted to never having read), but that she could do it).


Which began the spiral of their abusive relationship in which Elf constantly wins every argument (despite being wrong) because Kevyn feels pity that she never had a proper education.

Isn't that just marriages in general?

Anyways my point is that with the latest Schlockian tech you don't need to have an advanced engineering education to make something, And just because Para is an expert at AIs she may be lacking on the hardware side. It stands to reason that a Uuple captain could have a strong engineering background and be really good at finding solutions that don't revolve around throwing fancy tech at the problem.


Honestly, just looking at the thing it stands to reason that it shouldn't be any more complicated to deploy than a Coleman tent.


My impression is he's one of the first resurrectees who happens to be an engineer. His/her?* clothing is different, (I just checked,) It looks like a robe, which would be appropriate for handing out to someone who just woke up, likely naked. His/her? fur color is also different.

I did a very little bit of digging, and that facility was a refinery. https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-09-29 What an appropriate place to find a few engineers lying around. (Although, most of them are probably chemical engineers.)

* Edit. I just realized I don't know any of the anatomical or cultural cues which would allow me to determine if this engineer is male or female. I was letting some tufts of fur on the cheeks indicate gender, but I doubt the females of the species are all sphynxs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 pm 
Offline
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:35 pm
Posts: 372
Location: Nebulae beyond Gamma Draconis
grahamf wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
He's probably a day behind the curve and talking about yesterday.

You might want to check the post dates...


rwstyles was talking about the engineer and the Uuplechan as a whole (that they as a species aren't all dimwits like the two captains), I was inarticulately talking about the Uuplechan as a whole* (and the Uuplechan Defense Fleet more specifically**), and sotanaht mistook my gibberish a bit further...



* Which of course comes from posting in a rush as I run out the door for work.
** That Kaff is running rather than stand and fight the Uuplechan Navy, not that they give credence the Uuplechan Navy as having fired the Long Shot. Of course even if every Captain is incompetent and every ship as terrible as the one Elf has taken... that fleet vastly outnumbers Kaff's single Dragon-class cruiser and Elf's prize...

They are technologically-wise behind the curve compared to the rest of the galaxy, meaning their engineers are probably smarter because they have to figure out everything themselves instead of having their technology tell them how to do it for them. Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?


When you have too good tech, it's surprising how dumb supposedly smart people can get. It's astonishing how eager people are today to just throw computational power and numerical solutions (something about hammer and nails, I guess) at problems instead of sitting with a piece of paper and doing the math, or searching books/tables/publications. On not one occasion I have found 50, 70 or 100 year old book to be a treasure trove of seemingly forgotten knowledge.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group