The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:35 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I'm impressed. Here we see evidence that the Uuplechan can be formidable, and not merely idiots like the pirate captain.

Post subject: Re: Uuplechan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:33 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

rwstyles wrote:
I'm impressed. Here we see evidence that the Uuplechan can be formidable, and not merely idiots like the pirate captain.

The Uuplechan has already been shown respect for it's capacity simply by the fact that the Toughs are fleeing rather than continue the fight that Iafa and Alexia began.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:54 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
rwstyles wrote:

The Uuplechan has already been shown respect for it's capacity simply by the fact that the Toughs are fleeing rather than continue the fight that Iafa and Alexia began.

Misplaced respect. I don't believe for a second that they are the ones who fired the Long Gun, nor does it seem their military was any match for Breath Weapon. The captured prize ship however has absolutely no chance, but if it did it wouldn't have been left with the militia in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:53 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Wait, are you talking about the engineer, or what? Because today's strip appears completely unrelated to anything the cats are doing.

And the engineer is an engineer. Para is a roboticist. She probably shouldn't have been working on the resurrection setup anyway.

Was there a hiccup where a different strip was shown or something?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:06 am 
Intern
Intern

He's probably a day behind the curve and talking about yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:07 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Fishman wrote:

You might want to check the post dates...

rwstyles was talking about the engineer and the Uuplechan as a whole (that they as a species aren't all dimwits like the two captains), I was inarticulately talking about the Uuplechan as a whole* (and the Uuplechan Defense Fleet more specifically**), and sotanaht mistook my gibberish a bit further...

* Which of course comes from posting in a rush as I run out the door for work.
** That Kaff is running rather than stand and fight the Uuplechan Navy, not that they give credence the Uuplechan Navy as having fired the Long Shot. Of course even if every Captain is incompetent and every ship as terrible as the one Elf has taken... that fleet vastly outnumbers Kaff's single Dragon-class cruiser and Elf's prize...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:22 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

rwstyles was talking about the engineer and the Uuplechan as a whole (that they as a species aren't all dimwits like the two captains), I was inarticulately talking about the Uuplechan as a whole* (and the Uuplechan Defense Fleet more specifically**), and sotanaht mistook my gibberish a bit further...

** That Kaff is running rather than stand and fight the Uuplechan Navy, not that they give credence the Uuplechan Navy as having fired the Long Shot. Of course even if every Captain is incompetent and every ship as terrible as the one Elf has taken... that fleet vastly outnumbers Kaff's single Dragon-class cruiser and Elf's prize...

Ahhh, I see, it was a charlie foxtrot of poor wording and misunderstandings, got it. :)

But yeah, if every Uupaloopa was as dumb as the pirate captain, they never would have made it out of their gravity well, let alone into a starfaring species. Idiot georg is an outlier and should not have been counted, so to speak. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:05 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Kendrakirai wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

Failed to include link to strip. Yes, yesterday's strip. 3/3/18

Ahhh, I see, it was a charlie foxtrot of poor wording and misunderstandings, got it. :)

But yeah, if every Uupaloopa was as dumb as the pirate captain, they never would have made it out of their gravity well, let alone into a starfaring species. Idiot georg is an outlier and should not have been counted, so to speak. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:11 pm 
Intern
Intern

evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

They are technologically-wise behind the curve compared to the rest of the galaxy, meaning their engineers are probably smarter because they have to figure out everything themselves instead of having their technology tell them how to do it for them. Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:37 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

grahamf wrote:
Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?

Kev was surprised because he, like everyone else, thought Elf was too dim to be able to do what she did. That she did it after merely RTFM was beside the point (but yes that did come up, but he wasn't surprised that it could be done with the manual (which he admitted to never having read), but that she could do it).

Which began the spiral of their abusive relationship in which Elf constantly wins every argument (despite being wrong) because Kevyn feels pity that she never had a proper education.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:21 pm 
Intern
Intern

evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:
Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?

Kev was surprised because he, like everyone else, thought Elf was too dim to be able to do what she did. That she did it after merely RTFM was beside the point (but yes that did come up, but he wasn't surprised that it could be done with the manual (which he admitted to never having read), but that she could do it).

Which began the spiral of their abusive relationship in which Elf constantly wins every argument (despite being wrong) because Kevyn feels pity that she never had a proper education.

Isn't that just marriages in general?

Anyways my point is that with the latest Schlockian tech you don't need to have an advanced engineering education to make something, And just because Para is an expert at AIs she may be lacking on the hardware side. It stands to reason that a Uuple captain could have a strong engineering background and be really good at finding solutions that don't revolve around throwing fancy tech at the problem.

Honestly, just looking at the thing it stands to reason that it shouldn't be any more complicated to deploy than a Coleman tent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:10 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
grahamf wrote:

Isn't that just marriages in general?

Anyways my point is that with the latest Schlockian tech you don't need to have an advanced engineering education to make something, And just because Para is an expert at AIs she may be lacking on the hardware side. It stands to reason that a Uuple captain could have a strong engineering background and be really good at finding solutions that don't revolve around throwing fancy tech at the problem.

Honestly, just looking at the thing it stands to reason that it shouldn't be any more complicated to deploy than a Coleman tent.

My impression is he's one of the first resurrectees who happens to be an engineer. His/her?* clothing is different, (I just checked,) It looks like a robe, which would be appropriate for handing out to someone who just woke up, likely naked. His/her? fur color is also different.

I did a very little bit of digging, and that facility was a refinery. https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-09-29 What an appropriate place to find a few engineers lying around. (Although, most of them are probably chemical engineers.)

* Edit. I just realized I don't know any of the anatomical or cultural cues which would allow me to determine if this engineer is male or female. I was letting some tufts of fur on the cheeks indicate gender, but I doubt the females of the species are all sphynxs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

They are technologically-wise behind the curve compared to the rest of the galaxy, meaning their engineers are probably smarter because they have to figure out everything themselves instead of having their technology tell them how to do it for them. Didn't Elf (or Kavyn's Sister) way back when pumped out all this advanced tech that surprised Kevyn because he never bothered with the manuals/template library for the fabber?

When you have too good tech, it's surprising how dumb supposedly smart people can get. It's astonishing how eager people are today to just throw computational power and numerical solutions (something about hammer and nails, I guess) at problems instead of sitting with a piece of paper and doing the math, or searching books/tables/publications. On not one occasion I have found 50, 70 or 100 year old book to be a treasure trove of seemingly forgotten knowledge.