The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:19 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Looking more like somebody is trying to stir shit. If a particular entity were firing for immediate gain the shots would either be concentrated on a single enemy or region of space. With them being spread out across the galaxy and targeting a wide variety of major powers, it seems most likely that whoever is doing the shooting is either looking to mask their own interests or simply start a galactic war.

The problem is still finding someone with the means. "Cause galactic war" being the motive rules out everyone we know who has a long gun, so we are right back to trying to find out who we DON'T know that has one. I wouldn't 100% rule out Chinook, but it doesn't sound too likely either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:32 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

MY top theory is still the Schuul:

Working theory, they still have a working long gun from the LAST galactic war, and a genocidal belief that all non-pacifists must be encouraged to kill each other.

Backup theory is the Paa'nuri, but that seems a little too obvious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:29 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Strike locations are not entirely without pattern. Linear regression of strike locations would produce line going from lower right of the panel to upper left of the panel. This means that strikes are correlated (not very strongly, but still) along that axis. Does that actually mean anything? No idea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:
Strike locations are not entirely without pattern. Linear regression of strike locations would produce line going from lower right of the panel to upper left of the panel. This means that strikes are correlated (not very strongly, but still) along that axis. Does that actually mean anything? No idea.

My best guess is just that the top right and lower left arms of the galaxy are relatively unsettled, low-tech, peaceful, or demilitarized.

Or maybe they were just historically isolated portions of the gate network, so they don't make many diplomatic headlines these days, and generally aren't worth shooting at.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Hmmmm....

This is interesting. I'm actually cupping my chin and tapping my lip, trying to figure out who could possibly be shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 pm 
Intern
Intern

It's like a detective novel. Question is, is it a good one where all the facts and reasoning were already revealed or a bad one that has the important plot details in the explanation?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:25 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Quote:
You can't stop it charging by shooting the centre of mass

I dunno, the last core generator blew up pretty nicely...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:41 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

grahamf wrote:
It's like a detective novel. Question is, is it a good one where all the facts and reasoning were already revealed or a bad one that has the important plot details in the explanation?

Honestly, this is my question right now too. This plotline's been dragging on to the point when it's making things hard to follow, and I keep feeling like there's information still hidden from me that would put everything into perspective of making some sort of sense. So much is happening right now that the pacing is completely off.

sotanaht wrote:
Looking more like somebody is trying to stir shit. If a particular entity were firing for immediate gain the shots would either be concentrated on a single enemy or region of space. With them being spread out across the galaxy and targeting a wide variety of major powers, it seems most likely that whoever is doing the shooting is either looking to mask their own interests or simply start a galactic war.

The problem is still finding someone with the means. "Cause galactic war" being the motive rules out everyone we know who has a long gun, so we are right back to trying to find out who we DON'T know that has one. I wouldn't 100% rule out Chinook, but it doesn't sound too likely either.

Chinook is currently in that...kind of close-to-home mindset where she's like "I must shoot at people in order to achieve peace".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:19 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Aaannd now?

Too
Stupid
for
Words

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:29 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

What I'm seeing is that all the strikes are avoiding the dense parts of the galaxy.
There's a couple in thin space and the rest are on the very edge of the spiral arms... the shots do not correlate with star/population density.

It would be easy to target major planets, shipyards and other infrastructure if that was the goal,but only the boonies are being hit.

What's important out in the fringe spaces? And what ties the Toughs that got shot to that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:50 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

SuicideJunkie wrote:
What I'm seeing is that all the strikes are avoiding the dense parts of the galaxy.
There's a couple in thin space and the rest are on the very edge of the spiral arms... the shots do not correlate with star/population density.

It would be easy to target major planets, shipyards and other infrastructure if that was the goal,but only the boonies are being hit.

What's important out in the fringe spaces? And what ties the Toughs that got shot to that?

That IS a good point. Long gun strike at important planet would be much more effective at starting pan-galactic war. Why didn't I realise that? From what we have seen, only relatively low-priority targets are hit: semi random ships, of which ones with potentially furthest reaching consequences were Maxim and Obenn superfortress.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:02 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

SuicideJunkie wrote:

Density doesn't mean much. Earth is in a spur between two main arms, and it certainly doesn't seem to be a back water in this setting. With wormgates and now teraports any star could potentially hold important targets.

M[i]ech wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:

That IS a good point. Long gun strike at important planet would be much more effective at starting pan-galactic war. Why didn't I realise that? From what we have seen, only relatively low-priority targets are hit: semi random ships, of which ones with potentially furthest reaching consequences were Maxim and Obenn superfortress.

This is more relevant to what we've seen. It's not so much the position of the strikes as that so far we have only seen them hitting ships. They could easily be hitting massive habitats and shipyards or even planets.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:44 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Also, who has eyes in all these places. You need precise targeting info for all this shots on moving ships.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Reaver225 wrote:
Also, who has eyes in all these places. You need precise targeting info for all this shots on moving ships.

Did anyone we know even had eyes on those smell-talkers? Apart from Howard, that is. Hull colour and design style somewhat resembles Maxim, so it's probably another Daysun-Tingo ship.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Further evidence for my "It's the Schuul" theory: The Schuul seem like the sort of people who would believe that killing militaristic warships is good, encouraging militaristic warships to kill each other is good, and that killing entire biospheres is bad.

Although, depending on exactly how powerful the secret long gun is, major planetary damage may be below their energy budget, and warships are just the logically-sized targets...

M[i]ech wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Krennson wrote:
Further evidence for my "It's the Schuul" theory: The Schuul seem like the sort of people who would believe that killing militaristic warships is good, encouraging militaristic warships to kill each other is good, and that killing entire biospheres is bad.

Although, depending on exactly how powerful the secret long gun is, major planetary damage may be below their energy budget, and warships are just the logically-sized targets...

M[i]ech wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:

Dom Atlantis houses 4 billion people IIRC. Long gun shot at it's annie plants could kill all inhabitants and severely irradiate biosphere for hundreds of kilometres. You don't need long gun to be very high-powered to cause massive casualties if you pick your targets right.