The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

I simply *love* the coloring job in the strips that portray the "virtual landscape" of the AIs, as portrayed in the Sunday comic for April 8, and in today's comic.

In me it induces feelings that are vague and very hard to express, but which are undoubtedly nice. VERY nice.

Congratulations to the colorist!! (and to Howard, of course, for creating the awesomazing Universe of Schlock Mercenary!!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:28 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

JoseBelt wrote:
I simply *love* the coloring job in the strips that portray the "virtual landscape" of the AIs, as portrayed in the Sunday comic for April 8, and in today's comic.

In me it induces feelings that are vague and very hard to express, but which are undoubtedly nice. VERY nice.

Congratulations to the colorist!! (and to Howard, of course, for creating the awesomazing Universe of Schlock Mercenary!!)

Nostalgia? Colouring of those strips imitates old dot print (or maybe dot draw, or both, I'm not an illustrator, just some time ago I noticed that dots are back occasionally) techniques.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben-Day_dots
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone
As far as I know, they are obsolete nowadays (or rather any dots used today are supposed to be too fine to be visible to naked eye) and only used to create impression of old comic print, however in this function they are not limited to comics. Animated series might use those as a throwback to origin of series (example: shades in remake of DuckTales are a throwback to original prints of Carl Barks comics). I do not know what those dots are supposed to represent here, maybe pixels inherent in digital simulation?

EDIT: Now that I look closer, there are also "artefacts" imitating old printing deficiencies, imperfections of pulp paper and damage done to print over time (compare to images in series of entries on this topic on this blog: https://legionofandy.com/2016/08/26/ben ... of-comics/ found courtesy of google). So perhaps it's supposed to graphically present how positively ancient can full of sky and it's internal works are?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:03 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

M[i]ech wrote:
So perhaps it's supposed to graphically present how positively ancient can full of sky and it's internal works are?

I'm getting more of a call-back to 4-color superhero comics of the 70's and 80'ss... but that's probably just my nostalgia showing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:
So perhaps it's supposed to graphically present how positively ancient can full of sky and it's internal works are?

I'm getting more of a call-back to 4-color superhero comics of the 70's and 80'ss... but that's probably just my nostalgia showing.

As I said.

M[i]ech wrote:
positively ancient

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

M[i]ech wrote:
As I said.
M[i]ech wrote:
positively ancient

Don't make me get my cane and shake it you! We'd likely just end up in a cane shaking war and those never end well...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

The green worm needs more red
When it gets turned inside out :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:05 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:
As I said.
M[i]ech wrote:
positively ancient
Don't make me get my cane and shake it you! We'd likely just end up in a cane shaking war and those never end well...

Stay off my grass and it'll be okay.

Walk on my grass, and . . . well . . .

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:53 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:

Wow, I thought I was old because I can remember the early 90's. People who can remember the 70's must be living in nursing homes and retirement communities.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:51 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Aratan wrote:
Wow, I thought I was old because I can remember the early 90's. People who can remember the 70's must be living in nursing homes and retirement communities.

Looks like it's time to limber up the cane shaking arm...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:19 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Aratan wrote:

Looks like it's time to limber up the cane shaking arm...

Not yet. But soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:50 am 
Carnie
Carnie

rwstyles wrote:
Not yet. But soon.

If I wait too long it's less 'limber up' and more 'resurrect'. Only so many prime cane shaking years left you know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
rwstyles wrote:
Not yet. But soon.
If I wait too long it's less 'limber up' and more 'resurrect'. Only so many prime cane shaking years left you know.

Have you seen the new power-assisted canes?

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Aratan wrote:
evileeyore wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:

I can remember the sixties. I watched the Kennedy-Nixon debates as a child. I lived through the assassinations of 1963 and 1968. I am not in a nursing home.

Forum weapon: the humble Northern Pikestaff