All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:06 pm 
Intern
Intern

Whelp, she's good to go now.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:23 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

You know. For how dumb those cats are presented to be, their walker design isn't actually that bad. Weapons mounted that way can get firing angles without exposing pilot. Obvious drawback is that they don't have entire suit for recoil absorption, limiting weapon types and calibres available but with things like Strohl Munitions AP-130 around, that can potentially be a non-issue. Aside from that, in schlockiverse an actual physical shield (in background we see cat with hand cannon and shield) isn't half bad idea if it's made of hullmetal at the least.

Obviously none of that matters in this fight because they are hilariously outclassed, but assuming enemy with comparable tech and resources, they have some reasonable solutions in place.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:39 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

From what we've seen so far I would say that the Uuplechan as a race are actually pretty good engineers who are willing to make the best uses of the resources they have available. They are simply hampered by the fact that their technology is well below the galactic norm and that a large faction of them are xenophobic idiots.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:44 am 
Intern
Intern

M[i]ech wrote:
You know. For how dumb those cats are presented to be
I haven't actually gotten the impression that, as a species, they're dumb. Just some particular members happen to engage in a particular brand of blind xenophobia, but this is clearly seen as being by no means a universal view, and we really know nothing about what has brought that particular faction to that position. For all we know, based on their unseen history, that position may actually be perfectly justified.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:56 am 
Intern
Intern

Fishman wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:
I haven't actually gotten the impression that, as a species, they're dumb. Just some particular members happen to engage in a particular brand of blind xenophobia, but this is clearly seen as being by no means a universal view, and we really know nothing about what has brought that particular faction to that position. For all we know, based on their unseen history, that position may actually be perfectly justified.

Considering how cute and cuddly they are I can see that. It's probably hard to integrate with galactic society when so many races view you as cute pets.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Fishman wrote:
For all we know, based on their unseen history, that position may actually be perfectly justified.

Unlikely. This smacks very much to me of "potshots at current politics".

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:21 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
From what we've seen so far I would say that the Uuplechan as a race are actually pretty good engineers who are willing to make the best uses of the resources they have available. They are simply hampered by the fact that their technology is well below the galactic norm and that a large faction of them are xenophobic idiots.

Fishman wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:

The problem is, when kind of politics that we have seen to go around on Uuple, are dominant or just significant, entire science and technology takes a back-seat. Politicians start meddling in science and technology, supporting hypotheses based on what they like or what helps their agenda, not what is true or what works. That promotes terrible ideas.

However, best historical examples invoke Godwin's law.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:52 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

M[i]ech wrote:

I don't know if that argument holds. The V2 rocket was based on the work of an American, but pushed rocketry far enough that both the USA and USSR scrambled for those scientists and engineers after the war.
If I recall correctly, the first jet fighter was also German, as was a cannon that could reach out and touch England from France.
The Axis powers developed several things that were adopted by the Allies, including the Jerrican (Jerry was a slang term for German,) and the 55 gallon drum, (I learned this last just yesterday.)
In the sciences, about the only major thing I can think of that Germany missed out on was the a-bomb.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:52 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Sean wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:

I don't know if that argument holds. The V2 rocket was based on the work of an American, but pushed rocketry far enough that both the USA and USSR scrambled for those scientists and engineers after the war.
If I recall correctly, the first jet fighter was also German, as was a cannon that could reach out and touch England from France.
The Axis powers developed several things that were adopted by the Allies, including the Jerrican (Jerry was a slang term for German,) and the 55 gallon drum, (I learned this last just yesterday.)
In the sciences, about the only major thing I can think of that Germany missed out on was the a-bomb.

And there's a decent chance that they would have gotten that too if the allies hadn't specifically worked to disrupt their research.

But regardless of whether politics disrupts research there are a few other factors in play. First we don't know how dominant the xenophobic faction actually is. They are making a major play here, but that is because they are the ones with guns who are willing to use them. We don't know how active they are in the rest of Upplechan society. Second we don't know how long they've been active. Things like armor and weapon design take a while and quite possibly were developed before they came to power. Finally individual Upplechans are still going to be working on individual projects. Like the engineer on Gruuli's Legacy who redesigned the hammocks.

Also I think it mostly applies to theoretical science. It doesn't matter what your politics are if you want a specific thing like a vehicle then the engineers are going to be doing the best they can based on physical constraints not political theory. It might prevent them from inventing an entirely new thing. For instance if no believes flight is possible no one is going to put serious effort into building an airplane, but it won't prevent people from working on better guns.

Best modern example I can think of off the top of my head is space flight. When there was the political will for it we got to the moon. Without the political will it stagnates. But that isn't preventing other things from continuing, like computers or the continuous improvements of cars. It all depends on whether there are people willing to invest the money for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:08 am 
Carnie
Carnie

M[i]ech wrote:
...supporting hypotheses based on what they like or what helps their agenda, not what is true or what works. That promotes terrible ideas.

You just described all political groups. Good job.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sean wrote:
M[i]ech wrote:
I don't know if that argument holds. The V2 rocket] was based on the work of an American, but pushed rocketry far enough that both the USA and USSR scrambled for those scientists and engineers after the war.

Nazi Germany was trying to develop an A-bomb, but the allies undertook several attacks to sabotage that effort, including destruction of the Norwegian heavy-water plant and destruction of the previously made heavy water.

As far as the super=gun, look at WWI's Paris Gun.

--FreeFlier
edit: did not know there was a limit on links.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:43 am 
Intern
Intern

grahamf wrote:
Considering how cute and cuddly they are I can see that. It's probably hard to integrate with galactic society when so many races view you as cute pets.

Well, that's what happened with the Tausennigans, who are cute, cuddly, and will exterminate your entire race for that observation.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 pm 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

The V-2 cost the Germans more in resources then it destroyed of the Allies and the Allies had more resources. A wonderful bit of engineering but counter productive as a weapon. They were better then the Japanese where the Navy would purposefully draft key people from factories producing stuff for the Army. Inter-service rivalry gone nuts.