The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

While it makes sense that you don't want people messing with your missiles after they've been fired at the enemy, what do you do with missiles that have been fired but are no longer needed to engage the enemy? Do you just send them a detonation signal or something?

Also, the UPA is having a really bad day. But if the members we've seen are representative of the whole, I can't say I'm particularly sympathetic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:52 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

While I will agree that computer technology is greatly advanced from ours, the laws of physics still apply. If you make the disarm code sufficiently long, than it can't be guessed. Especially if you get only one shot at being wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 pm 
Intern
Intern

Nemoricus wrote:
While it makes sense that you don't want people messing with your missiles after they've been fired at the enemy, what do you do with missiles that have been fired but are no longer needed to engage the enemy? Do you just send them a detonation signal or something?
Probably. Otherwise they'd fly forever until they hit something, which will, at some point, ruin someone's day. Given that they appear to now be in a mode where exploding is the only option, I guess nobody wants to be nearby them when you try sending them commands.

rwstyles wrote:
While I will agree that computer technology is greatly advanced from ours, the laws of physics still apply. If you make the disarm code sufficiently long, than it can't be guessed. Especially if you get only one shot at being wrong.
I'm guessing this is more a case of "this wasn't supposed to happen and I have no idea what could happen when we try to fix this, so we don't want to be anywhere near this when we try". They clearly believe there are further actions they can attempt. They just don't want to be anywhere nearby when they attempt them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:38 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
Probably. Otherwise they'd fly forever until they hit something, which will, at some point, ruin someone's day.

I sense a Mass Effect quote in there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:09 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

What if instead of arming the missiles, she hacked the ships computer into thinking the missiles were armed? The result is everyone evacuates and leaves behind a perfectly good warship (for certain definitions of "perfectly good" and "warship", this is the UPA we are talking about). It would also be safer in terms of the missiles not accidentally blowing up before she could evacuate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:53 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

sotanaht wrote:
What if instead of arming the missiles, she hacked the ships computer into thinking the missiles were armed? The result is everyone evacuates and leaves behind a perfectly good warship (for certain definitions of "perfectly good" and "warship", this is the UPA we are talking about). It would also be safer in terms of the missiles not accidentally blowing up before she could evacuate.

That would be an intelligent way to do it.

This is the worst kind of "disease", you know . . . one that's not only intelligent, but smarter than its victims.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:03 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

Fishman wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:
Probably. Otherwise they'd fly forever until they hit something, which will, at some point, ruin someone's day.

That is one option. Other options are having the missile loiter nearby until there's another enemy to engage, or even return to the missile bays. This assumes, of course, that you can safely disarm your missile as needed; not an unreasonable assumption considering state-of-the-art Schlockiverse weapons tech. Remember the Toughs' Very Dangerous Array was comprised of torpedoes that were deployed, returned to their bays then redeployed as needed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:22 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

rwstyles wrote:

That'd be a mesmerino special, I see. "How to have your enemy detonate your entire torpedo cloud by transmitting wrong disarm codes on a wide band radio".

In practice you don't want a wrong code to make a change since you may get a detonation if your antennae gets shot off midtransmission of disarm, at the minimum.