The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:29 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

I appreciate the joke. I really do. I laughed enough to disturb the cat.

But you're selling my girl Cindy -way- too short.

There's no way the UPA fleet, when intact, was 15x more effective a battlegroup. Still able to take Cindy before Elf crushed it? Sure. I'd totally buy that.

Cythentic Certainty: Approx 1 unit in diameter: .75 of a unit squared
UPA fleet (when fully intact): Approx 4.5 in diamater.: 15 units squared

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:44 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I believe it. The Cythentic Certainty is a very small, low-tier ship. I don't know what it's exact rating is, but it is in no way impressive. The UPA fleet they would be dealing with is a lot stronger than the original UPA fleet they already dealt with. They have actual warships, not retrofitted commercial ships.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:57 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Cindy's rated at an X8
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2018-06-25

The Uuplechan Patriot Armada's fleet were a V7 V6 and X7.
3 on 1 are bad odds, but not over-whelming. Not when Tagon outguns any one ship.

The Outer Uuple Patrol group fleet is decidedly less soft, and it might have been that large if it were intact. B ut they're not the last circle, our friends in the UPA are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:44 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Tagon is also really really good at ship to ship combat. It almost never comes up because the Toughs are almost always outgunned heavily enough for it to not matter. But when it does he's been impressive. So he can probably do a lot more than just looking at the specs of the Cynthetic Certainty would indicate.

That said the Toughs are now in yet another situation where they are outgunned heavily enough that ship to ship warfare won't matter. At least for them personally.

Daniel the Broc wrote:
Cindy's rated at an X8
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2018-06-25

The Uuplechan Patriot Armada's fleet were a V7 V6 and X7.
3 on 1 are bad odds, but not over-whelming. Not when Tagon outguns any one ship.

The Outer Uuple Patrol group fleet is decidedly less soft, and it might have been that large if it were intact. B ut they're not the last circle, our friends in the UPA are.

Remember the UPA isn't just the three ships mentioned. Those are only the ones Elf captured.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Daniel the Broc wrote:

I suspect that the ratings are relative to size, and that a small ship of a higher threat rating is not guaranteed to be an even match for a larger ship of a lower threat rating. For a somewhat extreme illustration of this, Primus Pethmatoko is a T8, and I have a feeling that it has the little X8 Cynethic Certainty quite heavily outgunned, despite their parity in threat rating.

The only thing you can really take away from ratings in different size categories is if they're both fit for combat or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:31 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

As of last update, diplomacy is the only valid option..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:
Daniel the Broc wrote:

I suspect that the ratings are relative to size, and that a small ship of a higher threat rating is not guaranteed to be an even match for a larger ship of a lower threat rating. For a somewhat extreme illustration of this, Primus Pethmatoko is a T8, and I have a feeling that it has the little X8 Cynethic Certainty quite heavily outgunned, despite their parity in threat rating.

The only thing you can really take away from ratings in different size categories is if they're both fit for combat or not.

Yeah, we went over this in a thread back when the classifications were first mentioned.

The going expectation is that the numbers are their fitness for combat *in that size class*.

The Vs are two size classes bigger than Cindy, and while they aren't as suited for combat ad she is, the fact they're bigger means they have more guns, missiles, and possibly gravy to throw around, while the X is slightly inferior.

But, as noted, those are the ships that Elf subverted.

This is the only way to reconcile the fact an Ob'enn Superfortress is like a K6 or something, which would otherwise indicate that Cindy *outguns it*.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:03 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Your typical Obenn Superfortress is a Q8, as seen in this strip: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:30 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:
Your typical Obenn Superfortress is a Q8, as seen in this strip: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-11-19

Ahh, thank you, I wasn't sure.

Point remains, if you don't take the size class into account as a modifier for firepower, Cindy would have a pretty okay shot against a Superfortress. That seems *unlikely* :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:05 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Of course, the really big ships have to watch out for farmboys in single-seat fighters.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:50 am 
Intern
Intern

I always wondered about that...where, exactly, are the swamps of Tatooine? Even if we accept that casual air travel makes it possible for farmboys to travel great distances in search of entertainment through violence against wildlife, where, exactly, ARE these swamps, which we cannot apparently find any sign of from orbital views?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:09 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Fishman wrote:
I always wondered about that...where, exactly, are the swamps of Tatooine? Even if we accept that casual air travel makes it possible for farmboys to travel great distances in search of entertainment through violence against wildlife, where, exactly, ARE these swamps, which we cannot apparently find any sign of from orbital views?

What swamps on Tantooine? Do you mean Beggar's Canyon where Luke was bulls-eyeing womp rats in his T-16?