The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: patreon "security"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:46 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Anyone seeing the security checkpoint for Patreon login?
("check every square with (xx) in it")
The miserable thing doesn't like me.
If they keep this up, I will simply terminate use of them.

Post subject: Re: patreon "security"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:08 pm 
Intern
Intern

That plague is everywhere, and worst all, it's broken as hell and doesn't even WORK half the time. Buggy, piece of crap code. Any site I see that shit on is a site that has sealed its fate forever as a site that I will never, ever, give a single penny to, for any reason. Not even if it's on fire.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:11 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I've been getting that CAPTCHA every log in. This last time I got several iterations of it.
Here are a few particulars about my situation.
  • I log in using the same computer, but from different networks. This last time, from a radically different network,
  • I have both Ghostery, Ad-Block Plus, and Cookie Autodelete running on my browser.
  • I've been logging in via the email link, when on of the creators I follow posts a new message.

If you're having problems with Google's self-driving car CAPTCHA, you might look and see if you have any similarities to me.
And, now JUST for fun. Here's a link to what those pictures are apparently being used for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9OHn5ZF4Uo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Patreon got me punched in the face.

I tried to donate $1 a month to the author of Romantically Apocalyptic, but it just wouldn't go through. So, I tried and tried again, until my bank (B of A) locked me out of my account.. I ended up at an ATM on a Friday night, downtown, trying to work between the ATM and the banking software on my phone, to unlock my account, so I could have $20 to get me through the weekend.

I didn't know it at the time, but B of A was refusing to let any money flow from my account to Patreon. I don't know if it's because I'm on Social Security Disability, or the comic's author isn't based in the United States, or some combination thereof; that night, I *did* know that I was locked out of an account, I was trying to unlock it on a weekend, I was hungry, needed money... and had an impatient young man complaining about the "stupid c*nt" who was holding him and his date up; he started yelling at me to get out of his way; I tried to apologize, tried to calm him down, but while I was explaining what was going on, he punched me in the nose, then shoved me over.

So, I understated things: Not only did trying to use Patreon get me punched in the face, but it also got me a case of a cyst and water in my elbow, when I smacked it on the curb.

So... sure, Howard Taylor. I'll use Patreon. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I just checked. 3 of my pledges were using Paypal. The fourth was using my debit card. I've now put them together under PayPal.
I was wondering why I kept getting two emails every month.

Frankly, I wouldn't put that on Patreon. If you'd filled up at the gas pump, (resulting in some sum of money being guaranteed, and locked for a while,) the same thing could have happened.
The guy who did it to you is entirely at fault, not you, not Patreon, and at worst, your bank made your life needlessly difficult.
I hope he got charged with battery, and lost the affections of his date. If not, they're made for each other, and I have no sympathy for her when he turns on her in a few months.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:22 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

Sean wrote:
I just checked. 3 of my pledges were using Paypal. The fourth was using my debit card. I've now put them together under PayPal.
I was wondering why I kept getting two emails every month.

Frankly, I wouldn't put that on Patreon. If you'd filled up at the gas pump, (resulting in some sum of money being guaranteed, and locked for a while,) the same thing could have happened.
The guy who did it to you is entirely at fault, not you, not Patreon, and at worst, your bank made your life needlessly difficult.
I hope he got charged with battery, and lost the affections of his date. If not, they're made for each other, and I have no sympathy for her when he turns on her in a few months.

In reverse order: he did lose his date, he wasn't charged because I forgave him the next day, only showing my black eye as I stepped off the bus while saying "it's all good;" and "Patreon donation" is now synonymous with "getting your ass beat."

I wouldn't have been there and then, if my donation to Patreon would have gone through... possibly my fault for using Bank of America.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

The only issues I've had with Patreon are when I tried to donate to Authors not in the US. It doesn't go through sometimes. I am fairly certain that it is not Patreon's issue however, but my bank deciding the transaction is questionable since its going to another country as it's happened on other sites too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 am 
Carnie
Carnie

0z79 wrote:

Not a single thing you've described is the fault of Patreon. Next time, use patience, call the bank, and straighten it out before BoA locks your account.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:57 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

0z79 wrote:

I tried to donate $1 a month to the author of Romantically Apocalyptic, but it just wouldn't go through. So, I tried and tried again, until my bank (B of A) locked me out of my account.. I ended up at an ATM on a Friday night, downtown, trying to work between the ATM and the banking software on my phone, to unlock my account, so I could have $20 to get me through the weekend.

I didn't know it at the time, but B of A was refusing to let any money flow from my account to Patreon. I don't know if it's because I'm on Social Security Disability, or the comic's author isn't based in the United States, or some combination thereof; that night, I *did* know that I was locked out of an account, I was trying to unlock it on a weekend, I was hungry, needed money... and had an impatient young man complaining about the "stupid c*nt" who was holding him and his date up; he started yelling at me to get out of his way; I tried to apologize, tried to calm him down, but while I was explaining what was going on, he punched me in the nose, then shoved me over.

So, I understated things: Not only did trying to use Patreon get me punched in the face, but it also got me a case of a cyst and water in my elbow, when I smacked it on the curb.

So... sure, Howard Taylor. I'll use Patreon. :roll:

Forgive, nothing. If this happened in front of the ATM, it is on camera. This is absolutely something to report.

Think that is excessive? Consider that if a police officer had been around, it would not even be something that you would have a choice in. Far too often, the police officer will take it upon themselves to start some sort of state-based charge, at which point it is not even a question of whether or not you want to press charges, the state is pressing charges.

Punching you in the face to the point that you fall onto the ground? That person has demonstrated that they are a danger to others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:59 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Allowing the state to press charges is generally a horrifying abuse of power on the part of the state. It removes some of the rights of the victim, especially the right to "forgive and forget", and in some cases forces a victim to spend time and resources they don't really want to spend on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:25 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

dire wrote:
Allowing the state to press charges is generally a horrifying abuse of power on the part of the state.

If the victim is capable of making that choice... maybe. And usually 'the state' asks the victim if the are pressing charges or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:56 pm 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

dire wrote:
Allowing the state to press charges is generally a horrifying abuse of power on the part of the state. It removes some of the rights of the victim, especially the right to "forgive and forget", and in some cases forces a victim to spend time and resources they don't really want to spend on it.

This is a large part of it; if you get the authorities involved, they'll drag it out for as long as possible. Unless you're in a life-or-death situation, <b>the police are not your friends.</b>

Anyway, sorry for the derail. Patreon's security can indeed be over-zealous; my bank situation turned out to be easy to solve, just get on my mobile banking app and unlock it... which is understandable levels of paranoia. What's annoying is when captcha makes you select 10 or more pictures. It makes me think of someone's theory on another board, where they said the roadway images were to make us help artificial driving software distinguish a bridge from a bus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

dire wrote:

It also removes the criminal's ability to intimidate the victim into dropping charges, which is why it was done.

--FreeFlier