The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:25 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

And this is what happens when you take potshots at the secret weapons of the local Great Powers. They don't just let it go, and they tend to have other secret weapons/warships.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:27 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I see they found a new naming scheme to go along with their new designs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:23 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Nemoricus wrote:

Not really. Isn't that the comet we watched plunge into Jupiter? Same concept, different planet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:38 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Sean wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:

Not really. Isn't that the comet we watched plunge into Jupiter? Same concept, different planet.

You're right, and I realized that it was also an impactor just before checking the forums.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:39 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sadly that doesn't equate to a more powerful impact than the ones we've already seen get battleplates named after them. So it's probably just significant in that it hit Jupiter. Especially since Jupiter seems to be the UNS's shipyard/skunkworks. So while the other plates might have been made to theoretically protect Earth this one was made to protect Jupiter and was correspondingly upgraded through some combination of doing it in secret, having direct access to the Jupiter shipyards, or the UNS admiralty simply valuing Jupiter more highly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

So this is a battletetrahedron?

"Hi, we're here to talk to the people who've been shooting at us."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:20 am 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

So just a guess but this one has 4 external 1km+ annie plants with a 2 or 3km plant in the middle.

I bet this was built as a counter to Petey's Extortionator class.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:14 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

ushio wrote:
So just a guess but this one has 4 external 1km+ annie plants with a 2 or 3km plant in the middle.

It wouldn't work for that. The extortionator shown had a single Annie plant about as big as an entire tricorn. That's something like a 5 kilometer annie plant, and given the scale efficiencies of annie plants I don't think four one kilometers plants and a two kilometer plant would be enough to equal that. Volume wise the 5 kilometer annie plant is something like four times bigger than all the smaller ones combined.

Still the Shoemaker-Levy can probably shove around anything that isn't an Extortionator. In fact it probably has more gravy capacity than Chinook does entirely since she was still bootstrapping up.

And that won't matter at all if they don't have some way to stop from being hit by a long gun. Which they must or they wouldn't have bothered to show up. That's the most interesting thing to be revealed in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:19 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:
ushio wrote:

It wouldn't work for that. The extortionator shown had a single Annie plant about as big as an entire tricorn. That's something like a 5 kilometer annie plant, and given the scale efficiencies of annie plants I don't think four one kilometers plants and a two kilometer plant would be enough to equal that. Volume wise the 5 kilometer annie plant is something like four times bigger than all the smaller ones combined.

Still the Shoemaker-Levy can probably shove around anything that isn't an Extortionator. In fact it probably has more gravy capacity than Chinook does entirely since she was still bootstrapping up.

And that won't matter at all if they don't have some way to stop from being hit by a long gun. Which they must or they wouldn't have bothered to show up. That's the most interesting thing to be revealed in my opinion.

The Extortionator has a 2km ish annie plant as shown here https://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/pre-order-prints/ and in the shop
https://shop.schlockmercenary.com/colle ... sts-poster

As it's for sale it's canon. Just have to consider it's comic appearance not in the same plane as the battle plate from the angle of the picture

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

ushio wrote:
Arcanestomper wrote:
ushio wrote:

The Extortionator has a 2km ish annie plant as shown here https://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/pre-order-prints/ and in the shop
https://shop.schlockmercenary.com/colle ... sts-poster

As it's for sale it's canon. Just have to consider it's comic appearance not in the same plane as the battle plate from the angle of the picture

Well in that case they don't really need a new response as a pentagram plate can probably equal an extortionator. Which means the shoemaker-levy is a whole new level power output. It might even be the most powerful warship seen yet, besides the cloak of untrammeled dignity which doesn't count in my opinion since it's never done anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

Arcanestomper wrote:

Well in that case they don't really need a new response as a pentagram plate can probably equal an extortionator. Which means the shoemaker-levy is a whole new level power output. It might even be the most powerful warship seen yet, besides the cloak of untrammeled dignity which doesn't count in my opinion since it's never done anything.

The extortionator based on volume of a sphere should still have a slight edge over even a pentagram plate. While the cloak of untrammeled dignity does do something in the book 7 bonus story. Petey steals it and it turns out each section is it's own separate plate class ship and it deploys Thunderheads like a carrier deploys fighters.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Y'know, every time the UNS shows up and casually throws their weight around like this, I feel the desire to have Petey show up (either in something of even greater weight class, or much smaller) and just as casually punk them in turn.

"Yeah, we get it, you think you can do whatever you want 'cause you're the biggest dog around. Only... you're NOT, remember? How does it feel to be reminded of that?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:01 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

StClair wrote:
Y'know, every time the UNS shows up and casually throws their weight around like this, I feel the desire to have Petey show up (either in something of even greater weight class, or much smaller) and just as casually punk them in turn.

"Yeah, we get it, you think you can do whatever you want 'cause you're the biggest dog around. Only... you're NOT, remember? How does it feel to be reminded of that?"

They've been reminded. Remember when Petey dropped a battleplate off at Jupiter, right through the Terraport Interdiction, just to deliver a message?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:09 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Sean wrote:
StClair wrote:

They've been reminded. Remember when Petey dropped a battleplate off at Jupiter, right through the Terraport Interdiction, just to deliver a message?

More recently: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2016-04-24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:25 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Sure that's fun, but this isn't the UNS casually throwing their weight around. This is them responding to an act of war. Petey's already made his play, and it's still in the process of resolving. Now it's the UNS's turn.

They're pretty much on the same side this time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:26 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

They're still being really ****ing smug about it.

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to abuse of power lately.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:20 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

They might be smug, but this isn't really about having a lot of power and waving it around. Anyone with a teraport can do what they just did. If the other person's TAD is down, which they asked the Toughs to do, then even a hand held device can move entire ships.

Now if they had done this without the Toughs lowering their TAD, then that would be smug. As it is it's just unexpected and a bit rude. But considering the Toughs were riding around in a crippled warship it's probably also the safest thing that could have happened to them at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:55 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

I personally see this as the UNS being very careful to have a vessel potentially aligned with Chinook in a place where it can't wander off, and in such a state that it can be readily disabled if it puts up a fight.

I also suspect that the UNS has deployed more than the one battleplate to the system, and that things are going to get interesting. Well, even more interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:18 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

If the UNS deployed more than one battleplate, but fewer battleplates than Chinook has discontinuous snipers, those battleplates are in serious trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:31 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

dire wrote:
If the UNS deployed more than one battleplate, but fewer battleplates than Chinook has discontinuous snipers, those battleplates are in serious trouble.

Which is the point. They know full well both that she has long guns and what long guns are capable of. They wouldn't have deployed massive target like the Shoemaker Levy if they didn't have a way to defend it.

At worst a sufficiently larger jamming bubble and constant maneuvering would render the necessary precision targeting data unavailable, but I'm holding out hope that the UNS have found a more effective defense. Remember that if no one figures out how to defend against long guns then the galaxy is pretty much doomed to mutual destruction and surviving enclaves cutting themselves off in total isolation. Chinook's personal crusade is just the start.

And that's not even taking into account the Pa'nuri long guns which can apparently fire over intergalactic distances and always hit something. Jamming would be no defense against that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I'm still concerned that this ship will roll a "2" ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

I would not be surprised if Shoemaker-Levy is designed to generate an anti-long-gun barrier, or if its unusual design is intended to have it remain operational in some capacity after taking long gun hits to some of its annie plants. Its first operational deployment is in response to long gun fire in a scenario that a standard battleplate could otherwise handle. UNS high command has known about long guns as a possibility for quite some time, so they may have been working on countermeasures since before the teraport wars.