It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ship Ranking
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
And there certainly isn't anything in the Schlockiverse that stops anyone from creating, mobilizing, and weaponizing an object the size of the Death Star or more.

I'm pretty sure economics exists in the Schlockverse.

Sorta? They have universal fabbers and the PTU market was recently flooded with finely diced antique warships.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Those diced warships are probably to "thank" for the UNS's most recent weapon...which they just fielded in the neighborhood where those shredded warships came from.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:
And there certainly isn't anything in the Schlockiverse that stops anyone from creating, mobilizing, and weaponizing an object the size of the Death Star or more.

Well it's actually too late for that. Osiri is something like 20 times the size of the death star and fully capable of being used as a weapon. The galactic core is many times bigger than that and has been used as a weapon. Shoot the galactic core can be used to move the whole galaxy so it's even technically mobile.

Then you've got things like the Allstar, the crushed world forge, and Eina-Afa which may or may not be weapons but are certainly on that scale. Sure the current galactic civilization can't build to that scale economically, but that's only for now. The Cloak of Untrammeled Dignity and the Galactic Core are recent and prove that they have the technology if they wanted to. And Petey is building a new world forge that probably will bring them into line with economic viability.

Shoot if they ever want to really win the war against the Pa'nuri they're probably going to be forced to build at least a few super weapons just to even the odds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 am 
Carnie
Carnie

Sean wrote:
Those diced warships are probably to "thank" for the UNS's most recent weapon...which they just fielded in the neighborhood where those shredded warships came from.

Exactly. But I bet there are few more battlepyramids floating around out there.

But a Peace Moon? No, that's way too big without a world forge and the only one we've seen so far was broken.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Sean wrote:

Exactly. But I bet there are few more battlepyramids floating around out there.

But a Peace Moon? No, that's way too big without a world forge and the only one we've seen so far was broken.

Agreed; this conforms to me favorite John Hurt quote from the movie Contact:
S.R. Hadden wrote:
First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

I wouldn't take your bet for all the nickels in Jupiter.

Meanwhile, we may not have a world forge yet, but my recollection of the purpose of the Jumpstar Prime (formerly Jupstart Primer) was to rebuild galactic industry to pre-extinction levels by building another world forge. There are just a couple of pesky details to work out, like the ethics of a plan to create then enslave dark matter entities as the core components of such a forge...

Come to think of it, though, I'm having a fridge moment. Petey has shown himself fully capable of building giant, high-quality annie plants; since the Oafans are on good diplomatic terms with the psychobear why not trade hullmetal for annies with him? I'm sure an extortionator class plant would do better than the trio you'd get from a tricorn.

I may have to go on another archive binge to sort this out...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

evileeyore wrote:
Fishman wrote:

Economics existed in the Star Wars universe too; didn't stop the Empire from building not one, but TWO Death Stars, the second one bigger than the first. Also didn't stop a remnant of the Empire from turning a large chunk of planet into a weapon able to destroy other planets from light-years away. And then there are all those Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyers and other miles-long warships the various factions loved building...

Last edited by macnut on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:41 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Cloak probably qualifies: https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2004-06-20

And let's not forget that this is the universe where things like the All-Star and Eina-Afa exist. With the right know how, very large things are certainly possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 pm 
Carnie
Carnie

Zinho wrote:
Meanwhile, we may not have a world forge yet, but my recollection of the purpose of the Jumpstar Prime (formerly Jupstart Primer) was to rebuild galactic industry to pre-extinction levels by building another world forge.

That was not the purpose of Jumpstar prime.

Quote:
There are just a couple of pesky details to work out, like the ethics of a plan to create then enslave dark matter entities as the core components of such a forge...

And that's probably why Petey does not have a World Forge. Also he might not have had time to build one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:34 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

The problem with building a "peace moon" or "death star" is that it would be vulnerable to long gun fire now.

Or, you know, a couple of Z-class fighters with some practice in bulls-eye shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:25 am 
Intern
Intern

Problems with building such structures aside, it's still worth noting that such things are clearly so far beyond the normal range of Q that the difference between them and the rest of Q would be greater than the difference between anything else normally on the table. If someone is fielding a Peace Moon, such an object would barely register the distinction between a Battleplate and a Schlock in a Spacesuit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:39 am 
Safari Exhibit
Safari Exhibit

evileeyore wrote:
Zinho wrote:
Meanwhile, we may not have a world forge yet, but my recollection of the purpose of the Jumpstar Prime (formerly Jupstart Primer) was to rebuild galactic industry to pre-extinction levels by building another world forge.

That was not the purpose of Jumpstar prime.

You really want me to go on an archive binge, doncha?

I double-checked, and you're right that Jumpstar wasn't intended to build a world forge, it's there to build crypt spiders. The point of those crypt spiders, though, is to find how to make world forges using the information stored on mind-foils of the dead Oafans.

Given the current information we have on the fate of those Oafans, I wonder how much longer the toughs or the rest of their society will continue entertaining the idea of rebuilding/restarting those forges and just go digital instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:23 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Fishman wrote:
Problems with building such structures aside, it's still worth noting that such things are clearly so far beyond the normal range of Q that the difference between them and the rest of Q would be greater than the difference between anything else normally on the table. If someone is fielding a Peace Moon, such an object would barely register the distinction between a Battleplate and a Schlock in a Spacesuit.

Like I said, anything much bigger than a Q class is probably better designated a space station, Orbital Habitat, or Artificial Planetoid than 'spacecraft'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:23 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

So Schlock in a spacesuit is the same rating as a battleplate? Sounds about right.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:28 am 
Entertainment
Entertainment

keybounce wrote:
So Schlock in a spacesuit is the same rating as a battleplate? Sounds about right.

I think this is the comparison you are looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:01 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

And I think Schlock could probably take on a DAME, if he had his plasgun and no anne plant.