The Nightstar Zoo

Nightstar IRC Network - irc.nightstar.net
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:52 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Chinook's long guns are still out there, still firing, and she's rebuilt her spotter network.

We've still got a captured ship inside a 4-sided battle-die.

And we still have those two AI's infiltrating another AI's land.

This is the most un-wrapped-up ending I think we've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:28 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

keybounce wrote:
Chinook's long guns are still out there, still firing, and she's rebuilt her spotter network.

From this blog post by Howard:
Quote:
It might be useful to consider books 18, 19, and 20 as a trilogy, especially in light of the fact that trilogy-style is the way I’m writing them. Book 18 will end with some unresolved threads, which Book 19 will pick up. Book 19 will will also end with some unresolved threads, which Book 20 will pick up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:35 am 
Carnie
Carnie

keybounce wrote:

Chinook's long guns are still out there, temporarily not firing, and she's rebuilding her spotter network

Fixed it for you.

Quote:

This is correct.

Quote:

It ain't over by a long(gun) shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:27 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Where does it claim to be over? I don't see "end of book" or "epilogue" anywhere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 am 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
Where does it claim to be over? I don't see "end of book" or "epilogue" anywhere

In his blog post Howard says that book 19: A Function of Firepower will be starting the middle of the coming week so the current book is just finishing up, and judging by the title book 19 will be dealing with the issues the various powers' Long Guns are creating

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:53 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

Grashtel wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

In his blog post Howard says that book 19: A Function of Firepower will be starting the middle of the coming week so the current book is just finishing up, and judging by the title book 19 will be dealing with the issues the various powers' Long Guns are creating

Interesting that he states that even after he finishes the 20 year arc that covers the entirety of the comic, he's going to keep to his "commitment" to "keep making schlock mercenary". Usually when you wrap up the main plot that's a good time to end the story. When you keep making a story without the plot, which his second "commitment" alludes to, it tends to become a zombie, lacking reason or purpose but refusing to die.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:15 pm 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

sotanaht wrote:
Grashtel wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Interesting that he states that even after he finishes the 20 year arc that covers the entirety of the comic, he's going to keep to his "commitment" to "keep making schlock mercenary". Usually when you wrap up the main plot that's a good time to end the story. When you keep making a story without the plot, which his second "commitment" alludes to, it tends to become a zombie, lacking reason or purpose but refusing to die.

I think he mentioned possibly skipping ahead a few hundred years, or something. Basically, staying in the same universe, but following the life or lives of someone for whom the current strip is either current events or history.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:38 pm 
Arctic Exhibit
Arctic Exhibit

There's tons of stories to be told out there.

I, for one, can't wait for the new season of "Murderfinder and Meat-Puppet"

Though we all know that Season 5 was the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:39 pm 
Reptile House Exhibit
Reptile House Exhibit

Grashtel wrote:
… Howard says that book 19: A Function of Firepower will be starting the middle of the coming week so the current book is just finishing up, and judging by the title book 19 will be dealing with the issues the various powers' Long Guns are creating

The title is also referencing a Captain Murtagh quote from Delegates and Delegation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:14 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

sotanaht wrote:
Grashtel wrote:
sotanaht wrote:

Only if they keep the plot.

Here's the thing: The Schlock Universe is pretty huge, with all sorts of story potential. He can effectively do a complete reboot and start from scratch, only keeping the basic worldview and technology mechanics. Hell, he can start the exact same way, just instead of a mercenary group recruiting there would be a military or academy or something so that all events are responded to in a way more natural to the current setting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:30 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Independent merchants, perhaps.

Oh, and that looks like at least a temporary resolution for the long guns . . .

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:58 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

Chinook's long guns maybe, but the Pa'anuri who started this whole thing are likely still walking their shots towards Petey.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:41 am 
Monkey House Exhibit
Monkey House Exhibit

grahamf wrote:

Here's the thing: The Schlock Universe is pretty huge, with all sorts of story potential. He can effectively do a complete reboot and start from scratch, only keeping the basic worldview and technology mechanics. Hell, he can start the exact same way, just instead of a mercenary group recruiting there would be a military or academy or something so that all events are responded to in a way more natural to the current setting.

How about a spin-off series based on the adventures of Pranger and his Bangers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

FrankNorman wrote:
grahamf wrote:

How about a spin-off series based on the adventures of Pranger and his Bangers?

Or a legal drama following Kevyn's sister?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:11 pm 
Entertainment
Entertainment

I always like what Lawrence Watt-Evans does: the next story is set in the same world, and while it's about different people, the previous characters show up . . . in one case, a previous protagonist is an innkeeper, and another is a consulting wizard . . . Sometimes previous protagonists just wander through the new story in a way you wouldn't think anything about if you don't recognize them.

--FreeFlier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 pm 
Concession Worker
Concession Worker

FreeFlier wrote:
I always like what Lawrence Watt-Evans does: the next story is set in the same world, and while it's about different people, the previous characters show up . . . in one case, a previous protagonist is an innkeeper, and another is a consulting wizard . . . Sometimes previous protagonists just wander through the new story in a way you wouldn't think anything about if you don't recognize them.

--FreeFlier

Sort of like Vimes in Monstrous Regiment? I liked that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:14 am 
Aquarium Exhibit
Aquarium Exhibit

Maybe there could be a spin-off where Petey sends colony ships to establish new footholds in the outer fringes of the Andromeda Galaxy, only to discover that the detonation of an ancient dark energy weapon, intended to combat the pa'anuri, is slowly tearing apart space-time in the region.